The "hero" that sprayed a Apple Watch Sport in gold

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Zirel, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Zirel Suspended

Zirel

What's the purpose of this? Apple sells a gold colored Apple Watch Sport for the cheapest price.

2. lionsy macrumors 6502

That video was uploaded in April, they only just started offering a gold version of the sport.

3. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

They only started offering gold sports watches this week.

4. Technodynamic macrumors 6502

Technodynamic

The purpose was literally to create a viral video. The guy came up with the concept and knew the window of opportunity to do this was the day the watch was launched. His viral goals were achieved. It had nothing to do with being realistic with people making gold watches.

5. Zirel thread starter Suspended

Zirel

The video is about criticizing Apple because the golden Apple Watch is >$10K.

It's 10K, mainly because it's made of 18K gold, and not because [the most evil company on earth] Apple wants you to pay $10K for having a gold-colored watch.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well yeah, its kind of crazy that Apple is charging 10,000 and up for a gold watch. And no they're not charging 10,0000 because they're using 10,000 worth of gold on the watch either.

7. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

One may even think that this video may have even spurred Apple to rethink bringing more colors to the product. Unlikely, but could've been a sign of hope for a good marketing move of introducing more colors to stimulate sales.

8. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

FWIW, most $10K gold watches don't have nearly $10K worth of gold in them. It's a pretty common pricing practice for fine metal watches.

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

They didn't before the event this week.

10. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Just so you know...

The video was created back in April by Casey Neistat as an experiment to see if he could make a viral video. He borrowed the watch from a contributor at the Verge to do so. For what it's worth, he personally went ahead and brought a regular Watch with classic buckle...which he butchered in a later video. Worth watching if you want to feel a little more outraged ;)

11. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

He branded his stainless steel as soon s he got it. Lulz neistat ftw

12. Zirel thread starter Suspended

Zirel

I'm not outaged, I couldn't care less about a tiny copy of a piece of minerals and polymers.

What I find funny, is the big deal this guy makes after he painted an apple watch with a spray can and smiles to the camera, like he's winning something.

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Well, the rest of us find it funny that you didn't notice the date of the video before creating this thread.

14. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

I guess if you don't know the context under which that video was conceived it could just come across as some random guy thinking he won one over the man. Though again, it was an experimental video to see if he could create a viral video. He saw the release date for the Apple Watch coming up, saw the fuss being made over the 18k gold versions, and decided to make a film. Once it was done, he moved onto something else. That's all there really is to it.

15. APPLfanCA macrumors regular

He did a really good job on it... I would never do it but it looks pretty legit.

16. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

17. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

It's Casey Neistat, LOL. This guy is a gifted artist.

18. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

Yes, but most $10k gold watches also don't have a <$1k version with the exact same internals... The reason most $10k gold watches are $10k is because of the internals, the Gold is just a fine coating...

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Solid gold watch cases aren't covered with a fine coating, but the gold content isn't $10K either. It's mostly the markup typical of the luxury watch industry.

20. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

I meant "Coating" as in cover of the internals, and "fine" as in high end... I know they are solid gold. The point is, it isn't the gold why the price is $10k, it is the internals. In the example of the AW, it really should only cost as much as the R&D for using gold + the cost of the internals. Which I still doubt is 10x that of the SS.

21. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's not the internals either. Most of the price is simply a markup.

22. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

For learning sake, I would love to see an example. The example would be a gold watch that has the same internals but is available in SS (or some other non-gold metal) and there is a 10x price difference (markup for gold). Not saying you are wrong, would really like to see an example.

23. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I think he has given the stainless model to his son and gone back to Timex now. I have not seen it recently but think I saw his son with it at the beach house. (how do I know this, ha)

24. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's a little different because SS models from luxury manufacturers are still aimed at luxury buyers. Not so with standard SS AW. Apple is marking up the Edition because of who they're intended for.