The High-Res (1920x1200) Matte LED screen thread

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rezonat0r, Mar 10, 2008.

1. rezonat0r macrumors 6502

Updated Mar 28, 2008

We've seen two different brands of screens being used so far. How to find your model.

• 9C79 (Samsung LTN170CT)
    • 9C7A (LG-Philips LP171WU4-TLA1)

Hardware calibrated ICC profiles

If you are used to incorrect colors, switching to more "correct" colors can look strange. It may take a day or so to adjust to any color change.

Samsung 9C79
    • rez v1.zip: Sypder2PRO (Backlight at +8 squares, gamma 2.2 at 6500K)

LG-Philips 9C7A

Attached Files:

2. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

1. What model is it? (search if you don't know how to find this out)
      Model: 9C79
    2. How even is the backlighting?
      Backlighting is SWEET! It's very bright and colors are outstanding compared to my older Asus laptop that I'm replacing. It's so bright, in fact, that at it's highest setting I can't look at the screen because it gives me a headache (I am slightly sensitive to light). No screen has ever done that to me. Oh, and not to mention the sick resolution this baby gives out.
    3. Any yellowing or other color shifts?
      Nope, none -- everything is presto!
    4. How's the viewing angle compared to your old CCFL 15" or 17" screen?
      Fantastic! I can view it almost from the side and still have the colors look about the same.
    5. Overall impressions and anything you think could be better?
      The screen and display are top notch and I couldn't be happier. The laptop in general gets a bit hot on my lap though and that's my only complaint thus far (I don't own a desk as I don't have room). I may have a bad machine, please everyone else let me/us know the temperature your 17"ers are giving out when you get them. I'm happy to be the first one to reply to this thread. :D

3. Mercury7 macrumors 6502

BklynKid, have you check yet to see who is making our screens?

BTW you should move your pics in here

4. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Added the model # above. I'd love to post them but I don't think I want to litter this thread. :p

5. Mercury7 macrumors 6502

anyone know how to find out manufacture by model number ( lcd 9c79 )

6. PDE macrumors 68020

download SwitchResX, open its system preferences panel and export the DDC file. At the bottom of the DDC text, it will tell you the LCD model number which can then be googled.

7. Hadschi macrumors newbie

:apple:

I think its a Chimei, but not for sure....

8. limeybast macrumors newbie

1: 9C79
    2: Good, very bright.
    3: Nope
    4: Looks good from all angles I use regularly on the laptop
    5: Too early to tell and little to directly compare with yet.

Model # is: LTN170CT which is a Samsung display.

9. DND82 macrumors member

1. 9C79
    2. Backlighting is even as far as I can tell. Screen is really bright.
    3. Didn't notice any yellowing.
    4. Viewing angle I think is about the same as my Powerbook 1.33Ghz 17", but I haven't done any definite tests.
    5. Yes the screen can be better. It seems LED backlighting is being implemented where its strips of light going up behind the LCD. What I would like to see is an LED array, like the Brightside Technology displays, behind the LCD. Of course this won't happen for sometime, but it would be nice in laptops now. :D

-Dane

10. QAPete macrumors newbie

Ditto for everything except the headaches and heat issue. It gets warm, but less than the pre-Penryn MBPs. I'm extremely happy I went with the LCD-backlit screen.

11. rezonat0r thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies so far! I have updated the first post with some of this info.

Mine is still stuck in China :( so it will probably be another week before I can calibrate. If anyone has already done so (preferably with a hardware profiler) feel free to post the ICC file and I will link to them in the first post.

12. nufanec macrumors regular

The heat is perfectly normal. Macbooks (of all varieties) are not laptops. They are classed as notebooks and as such are designed to be used on a hard surface.

13. zoran macrumors 68030

Headaches? What headaches?

14. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

I assume you meant LED backlit screen.

15. rezonat0r thread starter macrumors 6502

Added link for tech specs in the OP. (And wow, google works fast - searching for the screen part # already brings up this thread in the first page of results!)

Keep the input coming. Someone has to find something wrong with these things. ;)

16. levifig macrumors member

levifig

Hey guys, I'm joining this thread!

After having ordered a 17'' HR GLOSSY and waiting 2 weeks only to realize I'd have to wait almost 4 more, I changed my order to a MATTE screen that should be here in 2 weeks!!

If only I knew this I'd have ordered the MATTE in the first place... BAD Apple! :(

EDIT: Changed the order to a Matte... Getting here within aprox 2 weeks :/ (still better than the 4 for the glossy!)

17. ibinco macrumors regular

ibinco

Loving it!
    Here is my look on things!

1: 9C79
    2: Awesome, very bright.
    3: No!
    4: Looks great for a laptop
    5: Cant compare

Now im hoping i guys will start posting those color profiles!

18. khnlim macrumors newbie

Hi all! I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. Just thought I'd contribute to this screen thread when I came across it looking for information on the screen on my new Penryn MBP.

Just received my MBP a few hours ago, just finished partitioning the drive. This machine is a replacement for a last revision Merom MBP with a Hi-Res screen.

So to answer your questions:

1. Model::9C79

2. Backlighting evenness:: Good.
    (Brighter and more even than my previous Merom MBP)

3. Yellowing and colour shifts:: Yes and slight
    (See below as to why I'm so wary of these issues)

4. Viewing angle:: Better than my previous Merom MBP
    (But colour shifts to yellow --> Magenta when I shift side to side. Better than my Merom MBP, but not as good as my PBG4 1.33GHz)

5. Overall impressions + improvements:: Nothing significant. The build quality is slightly improved from the previous revision. I wish I could get the old keyboard back. No num-lock on the Penryn is going to make entering data in Excel a slight PITA.

So the back story...

Basically, I had a run of bad luck with screens on my previous MBP. The original had a misaligned LCD and a little bit of colour shifting. The next screen had a red band horizontally across the screen, and a little red square blob under the line. The 3rd screen had an issue with the inverter and 2 dead pixels. The final screen had a very obvious yellow tint on the TOP third of the screen. After the 4th replacement, Apple CRU contacted me and offered this Penryn MBP as a replacement. As you can imagine, I was a bit apprehensive about getting a replacement system, but reading the extensive "AnandTech" review (mainly about the transition from a TN display to a IPN one) helped me decide to take Apple up on their offer.

So cue forward to this point after waiting for 8 (working) days. I open up box, boot up, go through my ritual of partitioning and general setting up, and check the screen, and lo-and-behold... Yellowing on the TOP third of the screen, and a yellowish/ magenta patch on the upper righthand of this panel slightly bigger than my iPod. This patch "disappears" as I move the screen left though, but it's definitely there when I'm centered to the screen. I've tried to tweak the colour profiles through the Apple calibrator, but all I've managed to do is to the turn the bottom part third of the screen bluish, not to mention somewhat washed out colours.

I think I'm going to try to live with it. But as a graphic designer and photographer, I am fairly sensitive to colour shifts as these phenomena could affect my work.

I'll keep you all posted on what I decide. But in the meantime, any suggestions?

Nicholas

19. Creibold macrumors regular

Creibold

It seems the downfall to any apple portable is the screen. Don't know why. Been through 4 on my MBP, and I still have problems with this one. Even backlighting please?

20. khnlim macrumors newbie

Well, I'm "glad" to hear that I'm not an isolated case here. But how is the screen on your SR MBP?

It's morning now in Singapore, and I'm still looking at the screen. Bright surroundings somehow minimise the yellow tint and the colour shift patch, but it's still noticeable. But then it could be the "placebo effect". I'll check again later tonight.

Off note, I've expressed my concerns about Apple's build quality and quality control to the Apple CRU here in Singapore. I've had several older portables, my Tibook G4 1GHz and PBG4 1.33GHz had great screens and good build quality, and they still do. I think Apple is starting to realise that we're not going to stand for sub-par experience on an expensive portable, since they've replaced my previous Merom MBP. The service has been sterling for me, but then the disruption to my work and the time spent waiting for service and courier collections and deliveries do take a toll. I sincerely wish that quality standards would return to the Apple portable range.

That my opinion. I'm sure there are people who'd agree and others that would disagree with what I'm saying. Just go easy on me, huh.

Nicholas

21. rezonat0r thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Nicholas, I too have quite a history of bad screens with Apple. My incoming Penryn MBP is a replacement for my 2nd gen MBP which is a replacement for my 1st gen MBP. All had issues (among others) where the left side of the backlight began to get noticeably dimmer than the right side after 4-5 months. (This makes me question my environment, but the fact is there's been a Compaq notebook in the same room that has had no issues for 2+ years).

Your sentiments echo what others have said, which is that the viewing angle on newer notebook LCDs is not as good as older ones (like on the Powerbooks). I really don't know the technical reasons for this, but I suspect the plummeting prices of LCD panels don't help.

Hang tight, because in my experience the default color profile that Apple ships with their notebooks is pretty far off and always has a strong yellow shift in my experience. This will definitely exacerbate the kind of color shifts you are seeing. So when we get some calibrated color profiles in this thread I bet you'll see improvement.

However, if the color shift bothers you now, do not hesitate to get a replacement from Apple, as they need to know about issues like this, and that magical 14-day replacement period goes fast!

22. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

I couldn't agree more, actually, as I've had numerous problems with MacBook Pros ever since they were first released. More often than not, the problems were with the screens, but I've been one of those few but very unfortunate ones who have experienced just about every documented MBP defect since 2006.

What bothers me most is that none of my other Apple products have ever had any problems. I've been through three Intel iMacs, a Mac mini, two MacBooks, an iPhone, Apple TV, AEBS, and various iPods. I still have most of these products and they have worked flawlessly from day one. It seems like the more expensive an Apple product is, though, the more likely it is to experience quality issues.

23. OrangesOfCourse macrumors member

pretty much the same thing for me. i was wondering if anyone had a good color profile for the LED 17". I know there are other threads out there but none are about the LED version of the 17". Should i just use one from those threads or is there a custom one for this display?

24. rezonat0r thread starter macrumors 6502

To my knowledge no one with these screens has a colorimeter. I'll be getting mine next week and will post some color profiles made from a Spyder2 PRO.

25. khnlim macrumors newbie

A little off topic here, but same here. Above the TiBook G4 and the PBG4, I also own a Mini 1.83 CD (I bought for my parents' as an anniversary present) and an 20" iMac 2.4GHz C2D (for my agency's admin and light workstation), and they've been real workhorses, nary a problem (knock on wood).

In addition, I've owned and used almost every Mac. From the Macintosh SE to the PowerMac G5 Dual 2.5GHz. I've not had any major issues with any of them, except for one of my three IIfx's.

I must say I'm disappointed with the problems with QC Apple is experiencing with their portables of late. I don't want this thread to turn into a rant for QC issues, as I've noticed a whole slew of extensive threads discussing these issues.

So I'm on the phone to AppleCare, waiting for a CR rep to take my call.

I've run SwitchResX on this MBP, and here are the results.

DDC block report generated by SwitchResX for display
    Color LCD

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F
    -----------------------------------------------------
    0 | 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 06 10 79 9C 00 00 00 00
    1 | 03 12 01 03 80 25 17 78 0A 50 C5 98 58 52 8E 27
    2 | 25 50 54 00 00 00 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01
    3 | 01 01 01 01 01 01 B1 3D 80 B8 70 B0 33 40 30 20
    4 | 26 00 6F E6 10 00 00 19 00 00 00 01 00 06 10 30
    5 | 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 0A 20 00 00 00 FE 00 4C
    6 | 54 4E 31 37 30 43 54 00 00 00 0A 20 00 00 00 FC
    7 | 00 43 6F 6C 6F 72 20 4C 43 44 0A 20 20 20 00 E4

-----------------------------------------------------
    Valid DDC block: checksum passed

EDID Version........1.3
    Manufacturer........APP
    Product Code........31132 (799C) (9C79)
    Serial Number.......0

Manufactured........Week 3 of year 2008
    Max H Size..........37 cm
    Max V Size..........23 cm
    Gamma...............2.20

DPMS Supported Features:
    ------------------------

Display type:
    -------------
    RGB color display

Input signal & sync:
    --------------------
    Digital

Color info:
    ------------
    Red x = 0.595 Green x = 0.320 Blue x = 0.155 White x = 0.313
    Red y = 0.345 Green y = 0.555 Blue y = 0.145 White y = 0.329

Established Timings:
    --------------------

Manufacturer Reserved Timings:
    ------------------------------

Standard Timing Identification:
    -------------------------------

Monitor Description blocks:
    ---------------------------
    Descriptor #0 is Timing definition:
    Mode = 1920 x 1200 @ 60Hz
    Pixel Clock.............157.93 MHz Non-Interlaced

Horizontal Vertical
    Active..................1920 pixels 1200 lines
    Front Porch............. 48 pixels 2 lines
    Sync Width.............. 32 pixels 6 lines
    Back Porch.............. 104 pixels 43 lines
    Blanking................ 184 pixels 51 lines
    Total...................2104 pixels 1251 lines
    Scan Rate............... 75.06 kHz 60.00 Hz

Image Size.............. 367 mm 230 mm
    Border.................. 0 pixels 0 lines

Sync: Digital separate with
    * Negative vertical polarity
    * Negative horizontal polarity

Descriptor #1 is Manufacturer specific data (not interpreted here)

Descriptor #2 is ASCII data:
    LTN170CT

Looks like a Samsung display.

Nicholas

Edit: Just got off the phone with AppleCare, and the CR rep wants me to take the unit to a service provider to be diagnosed and repaired. The technician with the service provider thinks I should insist on a replacement since it was only delivered yesterday. I'll try to contact the CR rep who offered the Penryn for Merom replacement to see if I can get some consensus here.