The High Risk of Texting While Driving

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Little HZ, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Little HZ macrumors regular

Little HZ

The New York Times has an item on a new study showing how extremely dangerous it is to text while driving. I am curious what others think about this issue, in light of this new study. Should texting while driving be illegal? If so, what should penalties be? If not, why not. Do you text while driving? etc. etc.

Texting Raises Crash Risk 23 Times, Study Finds
    The first study of drivers texting inside their vehicles shows that the risk sharply exceeds previous estimates based on laboratory research — and far surpasses the dangers of other driving distractions.
    The new study, which entailed outfitting the cabs of long-haul trucks with video cameras over 18 months, found that when the drivers texted, their collision risk was 23 times greater than when not texting.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/28/technology/28texting.html?em

2. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Here in NYC I text and drive all the time. I check my emails and drive all the time. I play Ragdoll Blaster and drive all the time. I have not yet gotten a ticket or crashed while on the streets or on the FDR. I credit my acute mind and reflex for this.

3. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Yes. Texting, calling, or any other improper use of devices whilst driving should result in a fine or better still points on license.

I would extend this to anything which takes the drivers attention away from the wheel/road for periods of time such as eating and smoking.

4. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Don't forget radios and A/C, as you might be tempted to touch a button or knob. It will utterly bamboozle you and you will crash and die. And we can't have other people in the car, either - someone might say something and distract you. Stick shifts, too, because they make you take one hand off the wheel for a second or so whilst changing gears.

5. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

But you can tell them to change the radio and AC settings.

And those reading a book while driving. Some drive like they are drunk when reading. I have even seen a laptop on the dash.

I do use a computer in the car but not while driving. Those in dash computers should be outlawed.

6. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

I hate when people text and drive because half of them are going 20 under with no attention to anything going on around them. Of course, half of them are teenage girls who drive like that normally.

7. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

There's a poster at school reading:

"Just comming home da" - point of crash :(

8. James L macrumors 6502a

Speaking as a veteran paramedic, I thank people like you for ensuring my job security!

:D

9. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

It's already illegal in Australia (as is talking on the phone).

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Funny. It would seem I run across more guys than girls texting while driving around these parts.

To say that texting leads to crashing is just stating the obvious, nearly. Everything can lead to crashing. Heck, I'd do better texting than I would eating a taco. I've seen it all.

11. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Hell yeah, texting, especially on the iPhone is terrible whilst driving. I had to type out a quick, 'be there in 10 mins' (mins was auto corrected to 'mind' :mad:). Could only type/correct one letter at time. Almost made it there before I sent it.

12. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

Typing on the iPhone or other full keyboarded phone while driving is really hard. I could type a whole message with out looking at it in T9, now I have to look for every letter. So I don't text while driving anymore unless I'm at a red light.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They need a study to show that it's risky and unsafe? What happened to common sense?

14. DrunkenMunky macrumors member

15. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

16. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

I got rear-ended by a woman who was filing her nails. I've also done this before where I was playing around with the radio for minutes trying to change settings on a winding road. I have no idea how I pulled it off, I'm guessing since I drove the road all the time I had an instinctual knowledge of when to turn. Still though, I will never do that again.

17. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I don't notice too many girls texting while driving, more guys seem to do it. However I do notice more girls speeding (10+ over the limit) than guys, especially on the interstate. Girls blow past me going 85+ in a 70 zone all the time, yet us guys need to pay higher insurance costs. Go figure.

18. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

oh yeah? you got rear ended?

19. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Eugh this really, really winds me up. When my best mate txts as he drives, you can see he's not looking at the road. I hate txting and driving as you aren't concentrating at all.

I don't know, maybe it's because I spent a year riding a scooter before I started driving and I had a lapse of concentration once and ended up sliding down the road. So when I drive, all I do is put all of my concentration into watching the road, checking around me and keeping my speed in line with the flow of traffic.

The bike accident was the only accident caused by me and fortunately I didn't hurt myself, my bike or anyone else and I was able to carry on riding after calming myself down. Although, I have been rear ended by someone travelling at more than 40mph and on their phone whilst my car was stopped and that isn't a fun experience!

20. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

A similar thing sometimes happens to me. I suddenly try to think about the last X miles I drove and I can't visualize anything. Its like I was on autopilot but managed to follow the lines perfectly, its kind of strange.

21. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

Nobody knows/talks about it in France. I used to do it, but now people just wait. When I don't pick up or answer, they know...

22. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Nobody mentioned on-board GPS. Somebody is lost and looking at a tiny screen for directions! Yikes!

Doing anything to distract you successfully while driving a car (not causing an accident) is not skill or good reflexes, it's dumb luck. It will bite you. It only takes one time. You could be 2,000-0 today and dead tomorrow.

23. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Yep, GPS annoys me too. It also makes people blindly follow it, turn when they shouldn't. Although the speed camera warnings can be handy.