Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Over two years later, the movies have now been green lit. The money is now there. And they'll be in 3D.

OSCAR WINNER PETER JACKSON TO DIRECT “THE HOBBIT” IN TWO INSTALLMENTS
Peter Jackson Set to Direct J.R.R Tolkien’s “The Hobbit,” In a Two-Part 3D Production of Extraordinary Scope

(Los Angeles, October 15, 2010) The two films based on “The Hobbit” are now greenlit and will begin principal photography in February 2011, under the direction of Peter Jackson, it was jointly announced today by Toby Emmerich, President and Chief Operating Officer, New Line Cinema, Alan Horn, President and Chief Operating Officer, Warner Bros. and Steve Cooper, co-Chief Executive Officer of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc.

http://www.theonering.net/

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I'm looking forward to seeing them and am glad that Peter Jackson is directing them. I'm not too happy about the 3d part, I hope they release them in 2d as well since I hate 3d movies and won't pay the extra money to see them.
But I'm pretty sure that they will be good movies.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Martin Freeman cast as Bilbo.

The beleaguered film production of JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit was given a boost today with the announcement that the comedy actor Martin Freeman will play the hairy-toed diminutive.

Freeman, best known for his role in the British comedy series The Office, has been cast as Bilbo Baggins in the prequel to the hugely successful Lord of the Rings trilogy, which grossed nearly $3bn (£1.9bn) at the box office.

The director, Peter Jackson, said Freeman was born to play the role. "He is intelligent, funny, surprising and brave, exactly like Bilbo, and I feel incredibly proud to be able to announce that he is our Hobbit."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2010/oct/22/martin-freeman-hobbit-bilbo-baggins

Martin Freeman on Wikipedia, IMDb and Youtube.

More casting news:

Jackson has cast several other significant Dwarf characters.

Richard Armitage (MI-5 and Captain America: The First Avenger) will play Thorin Oakenshield, leader of the Company of Dwarves which sets off to reclaim the Lonely Mountain from a thieving dragon. Aidan Turner (Being Human) and Rob Kazinsky (EastEnders) will play Kili and Fili, members of the Company of Dwarves. Graham McTavish (Secretariat) will play Dwalin, John Callen (Power Rangers Jungle Fury) will play Oin; Stephen Hunter (All Saints) will play Bombur, and Mark Hadlow (King Kong) plays Dori, while Peter Hambleton (The Strip) will play Gloin.

That casting has just beginning, and there will be much more. Word is that Jimmy Nesbitt and David Tennant are up for roles, and that Ian McKellan and Andy Serkis are expected to reprise Gandalf and Gollum. Stephen Fry, Saoirse Ronan, Bill Nighy is a possible participant as the voice of Smaug the Dragon, and Aiden Turner is in contention for the Elf King.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/201...eter-jackson-sets-first-names-for-the-hobbit/

rkmac

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
JAFA, New Zealand
why,,,,,Why,,,,WHY!!!! Damn you!!!!!!! Here is hoping the also show a regular 2D version at the same time. I can't tell you how much I hate 3D!!! HATE IT!!!!!!

Glad to see it is finally getting on the way thou!!!

Yeah, I really do hope we can see it in 2D. I really dont think 3D for The Hobbit will be particularly nice.

And no, its not getting underway it seems. We are having a lot of trouble over here in NZ at the moment with actors unions wanting to boycott the film. Its pretty much the biggest news item over here at the moment. Hopefully they resolve the issues soon and get it filmed in New Zealand.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois

Every generation must suffer through the cinematic hell known as 3D. There is a law somewhere, I'm sure of it.

why,,,,,Why,,,,WHY!!!! Damn you!!!!!!! Here is hoping the also show a regular 2D version at the same time. I can't tell you how much I hate 3D!!! HATE IT!!!!!!

Glad to see it is finally getting on the way thou!!!

Fuddy duddies! 3D is a blast- especially these days with all the advances made. I love it and am glad to see it catching on.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
And no, its not getting underway it seems. We are having a lot of trouble over here in NZ at the moment with actors unions wanting to boycott the film.

With all that money at stake, the film will get underway, whether it's shot in NZ or not, something I don't really mind as I thought in some places the geography looked wrong, particularly in The Shire... and I say that as a long-emigrated Kiwi.

As for 3D, I'd prefer to not see it shot in 3D, but then this is commercial reality. It makes me wonder whether they're working on LOTR in 3D post-production to a) produce a matched set of films and b) to rake in even more money on its 10th (next year) or 15th anniversary.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Yeah, I really do hope we can see it in 2D. I really dont think 3D for The Hobbit will be particularly nice.

3D for anything is not particularly nice, if they only release it in 3D I will be waiting for it on Blu-Ray or DVD since those will have to be 2D as there are very few 3D tvs.

Nishi100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
I've always been a fan of LOTR; and I was really surprised that they're doing "the hobbit." And, even better, it's going to be shot on red cameras, at a resolution of 4K - not that I have a screen that can play the full resolution, but hey, 3D is cool: link

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm looking forward to seeing them and am glad that Peter Jackson is directing them. I'm not too happy about the 3d part, I hope they release them in 2d as well since I hate 3d movies and won't pay the extra money to see them.
But I'm pretty sure that they will be good movies.

I too am anti- 3D. I read an excellent article on why we don't need 3D, besides the extra expense, one of the primary reasons is that our eyes and brain turn a flat plane movie into 3D automatically. 3D as we know it a gimmick that manipulates space to exaggerate it's 3D-ness. I think its best shot at survival will be when we can ditch the glasses. :)

I may be wrong about this but my impression is that all 3D movies have been released in 2D form and I'm speaking of the movies that were shot primarily as 3D, not those that were shot in 2D, then had a quickie 3D conversion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.