The Hunt for the Perfect iPod Touch 4th Generation (7 iPods)...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Link2999, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Link2999 macrumors 6502

Okay, let me say that a perfect iPod Touch is near impossible to find. In regards to my previous topic about the Apple Store (see below), let me tell you what happened there this time. So I got my appointment at 11:30 there today and brought up my iPod convinced that they would exchange it for me, as it was covered by warranty, although after 3 previous exchanges there, I guess they decided it would cost less to not have me as a customer. They refused to replace my last iPod for: Light Leaks, Clicking while recording, and overheating (worse than what you may expect). After talking with the "Genius" I talked to his manager that told me I replaced it so many times already and it was her manager's decision not to let me swap it out again because she thought I would never be satisfied. She told me she couldn't feel any overheating (It was on the home screen, with no background applications, and getting hotter as we were talking), they could not reproduce the clicking in the store (because of background noise, and I even recorded a video that the Genius confirmed there was clicking in the background), and they "couldn't see" the light leaks I was talking about. I tried to point her over to the nearby Mac and bring up some of the topics (with pics) of the problems I've been having, but she refused to even look at these reports as it was from a site called MacRumors and she told me that it was because these were Rumors and can't go off of what some random person said. After arguing for a good 30 minutes, she told me that I could instead get a refund (without paying a restocking fee). I took the refund and set off to the Bestbuy across the street. The Bestbuy didn't have the iPod, so I left and went to the Target down the road. I picked up the iPod at Target, left, came home, turned it on and found a bad light leak. I then brought it back to my local Target (closer) and exchanged it for another with a smaller light leak and a dead pixel. Brought that one back and got it exchanged for my current. No dead pixels, and no light leak around the volume buttons, but it does have 2 smaller light leaks on the right hand side that I don't care nearly as much about. I consider my current one perfect as is.

Here is my list of iPods that I had (Not including video clicking as this was only tested on 2):

1. Yellow Tint at the Top of the Screen - C3
    2. Light Leak and Dead Pixel - CC
    3. Bad Light Leak - CC
    4. Light Leak and Overheating - C3
    5. Moderate Light Leak - CC
    6. Light Leak and Dead Pixel - C3
    7. Minimal Light Leak and Minimal Yellow Tint - CC

Previous Topic (Question on Apple Store Exchange Policy):

So today I ended up exchanging 2 iPod Touches and I exchanged 1 last week, so I'm on my 4th currently. Just wanted to ask because the Apple Genius up there told me that wouldn't be able to exchange it anymore without paying a restocking fee because they didn't want someone returning an iPod for "Within Apple Specifications" defects.

My first iPod had Yellow Tinting
    #2 had a light leak and a dead pixel
    #3 had a light leak (Worse than #2)
    #4 has a light leak (not as bad as #2 or 3) and it seems to be overheating with normal use (use of any application for more than 5 minutes heats up the top of the iPod so it is uncomfortable to hold).

Did this Genius tell me the truth? To me these defects should not be considered within Apple Specifications (especially since when I returned the 2nd iPod, the Genius I dealt with that time told me a dead pixel was "unacceptable"). Plus I thought I had 14 days to return it, I should be able to return it and buy a new one no problem, but the Genius said I'd still have to pay the restocking fee. If they don't exchange it, even though it has problems, wouldn't that be violating their 1 year warranty?

2. EJR macrumors member

You could really just be dealing with a prick (or pricks...) right now, but if I were you, I'd head out to a different apple store if it wouldn't really be too far of a drive for you. Either that, or wait for a different shift of geniuses. If there's a defect, they're legally required to replace the ipod for you under their warranty agreement, so I don't understand why they'd want to charge you a fee unless they wanted to scare you (which is exactly what I think the problem is...). Point is, don't let them intimidate you. You bought the product, you deserve a defect free product. I'm personally on my fourth as well (should be coming in the mail tomorrow from amazon...), so just because their quality control is garbage doesn't mean you should have to pay for it.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Their quality control isn't garbage. You guys are too picky. Nothing is perfect. Keep that in mind. Even If I bought a Rolls Royce, it wouldn't be 100% perfect either. If you know the slightest thing about statistics, quality control is all about statistics. You can only calculate to a certain degree of certainty.

Overheating is probably the only nonissue unless you have data to support it. Light leaks and dead pixels come from the imperfections in the manufacturing process. There are over 600,000 pixels on the retina display. 1 dead pixel is still a pretty low number. Yellow tinting is due to the different manufactures of the LCD panel. They all have their own standards of what is white. That is why people who care about color accuracy usually calibrate their displays regardless of what brand of the display.

I'm not saying you aren't entitled to keep returning "defected" units in search of one that is perfect in your eyes. Just keep in mind, nothing in the world is perfect. :)

4. EJR macrumors member

Being as though I'm taking a Stats class at my Uni. right now, I can understand where your coming from with the whole quality control argument. However, light leaks haven't been my only issue. I can't speak for him, but I've had everything from broken buttons to rather bad overheating. I'm on my fourth now, which is either a testament to my horrible luck or an issue with apple's quality control. It may very well be my horrible luck, but whatever.

5. GekiRed macrumors regular

The people in this thread aren't being picky... They just want a product that works out of the box and not have to return it due to defects.

TBH, Apple's QC DOES suck ass!

On another note, in the UK, we have a law called the Sale of Goods Act and it requires a item that's sold here to be fit for the purpose it's intended for, and if a item is bought and there's a defect, it can be returned for a refund or exchange as long as there's a receipt or proof that the item was bought in the first place.

Fortunately for me, there's a Apple Store in Liverpool so if there's anything wrong with the iPod Touch I should be getting in the next week or two from my friend in the States, I can bring it there for a exchange.

At the end of the day, we pay a obscene amount of money for a iPod Touch so we expect value for money and at the rate things are going with the various problems existing with the new iPod Touch, I wouldn't be too surprised if there's already been lost sales as a result of them.

6. SlovakApple macrumors 6502

Exactly what I think. iPods are more expensive than other players so the quality should be also higher.

7. Link2999 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll be happy if my next iPod has a small light leak. There should be no other problems with it. Right now the overheating is the main issue. I know a lot of people will say that it isn't an issue, but it is A LOT worse than any of my previous iPods. 5 minutes of normal use make it hot to the touch, and through a case none the less.

8. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

I also have terrible luck. :( Hopefully I won't have to return a 4G three times though.
    Exactly. Zunes are alot cheaper and have alot more storage for their money. Even if they are rather... Chunky. They're great Mp3s, but the iPod has the apps, and the songs, which makes them more popular, and the popularity increase makes the price increase. :(

9. EJR macrumors member

Add my fourth one to the list of defective ipods I've gotten. This one not only has a big light leak near the volume buttons, but some form of glue is literally WEDGED between my screen and the bezel, which looks just nasty. So yeah, I'm done. I've tried four times now, and I'm definitely not trying a 5th. Till next year >_>.

10. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

My original one had a serial number of CC, and it only had a small light leak, like few millimetres, and the clicking, but the replacement(also CC) has more problems. Big light leak(as big as the date and time box on the lock screen), loose buttons, and clicking. :(

11. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

Yah, 5 iPod Touch exchanges is ridiculous. Somebody in the forum exchanged 5 before his 6th finally worked completely. If I go through 3, then I'm just gonna get my money back and then buy a 3rd gen.

12. Link2999 thread starter macrumors 6502

Made an appointment for tomorrow, hopefully 5th time's the charm ^_^
    The overheating is really what gets me, watching a video for 5 minutes shouldn't cause so much heat, I'm afraid it may explode ^_^

13. Link2999 thread starter macrumors 6502

14. Abscissa macrumors regular

Damn that sucks. I've been happy with mine, I can't be bothered for the hour drive or anything. I bought mine from WalMart and it has a VERY small light leak above one button. Most of the time I can't see it, even in a pitch black room. It does click when recording, but that's hopefully software unless it deals with the wifi antenna or something...

To the topic of overheating, I'm letting mine play a youtube video right now. I don't think I've eve had an issue with it, but...watching a video on my macbook, it goes right to like 150+ degrees and fans kick on. But I'ma let this play and see...hold on...Hmm, mine is cool to the touch. I'd say 80 degrees F at most. So I guess it is a problem.

15. vanzantapple macrumors 6502

vanzantapple

As for the light leaks, to each his own. If you can handle it, keep it.
    The clicking, well there is hope that this issue will be fixed in future updates.
    But overheating, that sucker has to go back. No question about it. If anyone has a HOT iPod, take that sucker back now.

As I have said a few times already, my iPT4 has a small light leak around the volume buttons and the clicking in the recorded video. I'm keeping it. The light leak isn't even noticeable when I'm using the device in the dark. The clicking... well as I said before there is hope. Plus I can turn off the WIFI to record.

16. RayLancer macrumors member

Same thing happened to both of the iPod Touch 4G I own. My sister's iPod has minimal lightleak and I didn't notice the glue before. Now there are some near the left side of the screen. My iPod Touch has a few on the top of the screen but thats getting replaced.

17. firelol222 macrumors newbie

if i were you i would have kept the first ipod you got because the glue just needed to dry that's all no problem

18. Link2999 thread starter macrumors 6502

Forgot to mention, #6 also had some glue stuck on the border as well.

19. Link2999 thread starter macrumors 6502

I figured that, so I kept it for 2 weeks to try and let it dry, but on the 14th day I swapped it out because it wasn't getting any better.

20. EJR macrumors member

Happy to see you got a decent ipod, but make sure to watch it over the next couple of days to make sure the leak doesn't get any bigger. I had that happen on two of the ipods I had, and it seems to stem from the fact that the glue surrounding the leak isn't set properly and basically fails due to the heat produced from the ipod.

21. Kowaku macrumors newbie

Damn, my luck wasn't too bad. First one had a light leak, but I exchanged it and now I have a perfect one.

22. battlekid macrumors regular

Well, i was lucky! I had to drive 2 hours to get mine, and i was lucky. No light leak, no overheating (it's cooler than my 3G, maybe some people think that the ipod should stay ice cool, its a pocket computer without a fan, it can and will get hot during use), no clicking during video (a little bit of mic noise, but i have my $1000 Sony camera for making feature films :D), an ok home button (a little weird, but better than the display models ;)) and no yellow screen. I can explain the yellow screen effect though. Its caused by a glue used in the 4g iphone and the 4g touch drying. It should go away in a few days.

I've used Macs all my life so far. My father worked in the computer and software industry. This was my second iPod, and i'm happy with it. If it's any use, it's a C3 code. Personally, i'm happy. Please don't hate about minor problems with the iPod. If you have a problem, just try again.

23. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Exactly? Where EXACTLY can you find other mp3 players with comparable capacities and capabilities? ...and cost LESS than the comparable iPod Touch.

:rolleyes:

That may be a true statement, but YOU are an unreasonable customer.

After the 3rd "defective" unit, you should have just taken a refund and wait it out until Apple is able to meet your requirements for quality... but that would require that you NOT have an entitlement mentality that believes that you should have a flawless iPod Touch NOW.

24. Bleak macrumors member

I just gave up and got an iPhone 4... Other than the antenna issue (which I don't really have since I <3 the bumper) it's perfect!

25. Biker macrumors regular

Got mine yesterday at walmart, there was only this 64 GB left so I bought it, there was something that looked like a big scratch around the speaker grills(maybe thats why no one bought it) but turned out it was just dust. No dead pixels, light leak, overheating problems here:)