The ' I did not upgrade to an iPhone 3GS ' thread.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gershon, Jul 9, 2009.

  1. Gershon macrumors member


    Jan 28, 2009
    I want a casing material change because the current iPhone 3G / 3GS casing material is prone to cracks. :( However my black 16GB hasn't cracked yet, so I'm crossing both fingers . :eek: Plus, I'm not due for upgrade till July 2010, which makes me eligible for the 2010 ( 4th generation iPhone ) .

    Why did you not upgrade to the iPhone 3GS?
  2. Ingster macrumors 6502


    Apr 2, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    Late comer to iphone 3g (November 08), 3gs doesnt have enought features to warrent upgrading, far too much money if not upgrading (PASYG)

    Just gonna wait for iphone 4
  3. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

    Feb 18, 2008
    For me, it's a simple matter of economics. My price at this time is $499 for the 32 gig, and even by selling my 16 gig 3g on eBay, I just can't justify the extra 200 or so. Besides, I really don't want to go through the whole eBay hassle again.

    I was lamenting at not having the extra features and speed, so I did a clean restore -as a new phone, and it seemed new again.
  4. maflynn Moderator


    Staff Member

    May 3, 2009
    I'm going to be a dissenter, the feature set of the 3GS made it a slam dunk for me.

    better camera
    video capability
    faster processor
    faster connection (where available)
    voice control
    olephobic coating
    the compass - what more do we need to ad :p

    As for the material, this is my second iPhone, I had a 3G and now a 3GS, plus my wife has an iPhone as well. I've yet to see any cracks (knocks on wood) in any of the phones. While I don't dispute the problem I dont think its as wide spread as people may make it out to be.

    Value is subjective and for me selling my 3g (for over 300) and buying the 3GS was a good value for what I got. Since my iPhone is in a case 100% of the time and most people I know do the same, it matters little what material apple uses for its enclosure as long as it does not inhibit reception
  5. -aggie- macrumors P6


    Jun 19, 2009
    Where bunnies are welcome.
  6. jbennardo macrumors 6502a


    Jun 16, 2009
    First, I'm not eligible for upgrade pricing since I got my 3G in July 08. That said, there just weren't enough earth-shattering reasons to upgrade - for full price or at a discount. My 3G does everything I want it to and with the app store, it never gets old. I'm sure I'll grab a new one in 2010 or at least give them a serious look.

    In other news... after all that complaining, I've only used copy/paste about 2 times. :D
  7. Crotalus_Joe macrumors regular

    Nov 14, 2008
    I didnt upgrade because of the continued lack of Bluetooth voice dialing.

    When OS 3.1 is released I will probably upgrade.

    I will be using an upgrade swap to get the phone for $199, but even at $399 i would have done it since i was looking at getting a Parrot system installed in my truck for $425 for handsfree use.
  8. TheSpaz macrumors 604


    Jun 20, 2005
    I upgraded, then downgraded... does that count?

    The 3GS bothered me to the point where I needed to return it so that I could go back to having fun using my iPhone.

    Now I'm back to my good ol' 3G and it's running quite fast on 2.2.1. I do miss copy and paste though.
  9. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

    May 30, 2009
    I didn't upgrade for a number for reasons:

    1. Sign another 2 year contract with AT&T when there's a chance at a Verizon iPhone next year
    2. 499 for a moderate upgrade now, or 299 for a nice big one next year?
    3. 3GS just doesn't have enough of an upgrade for me. I never used the video on my old phone, and the compass and voice control are rather novel. The only good part is the spec boost but even that is going to be trumped by a dual core processor next year! (Bit o speculation :D)

    I see it as a great upgrade for 2G users, hence why their so psyched for it. But from a 3G user's point of view; it just isn't enough.

    @Maflynn, why did you post in this thread?
  10. Carnivor macrumors regular


    Feb 24, 2008
    I kinda answered this in another thread

    I upgraded to 3G from original iphone too (Apr 2010 contract is up), and I don't have the cash to do an upgrade of this method, and now i'm starting to think, forget it, the 3GS aint as groundbreaking as the 3G was from reading the "what 3GS features do you use stiil thread" , so I'm just going to keep the 3G.

    There will surly be another revision of iphone not long after my 3G contract is up, which i'll be able to pounce on. If they are roughly coming out 1 a year, and this said next revision might not be locked to O2 only in the UK. So another plus for waiting it out on the 3G.
  11. Streamer macrumors member

    Apr 18, 2008
    I didn't as I see a revolutional change next year and I wasn't prepared to pay $400 for an upgrade. I pay enough Mac Tax as it is :) (Oh that and I hate AT&T with a passion!)
  12. TheSpaz macrumors 604


    Jun 20, 2005
    To tell you the truth... I really want a case change. I hope next year they change the overall design of the iPhone.

    I think next year, the people who bought the iPhone 3GS will be kinda bummed that they didn't wait.

    My 3G still has plenty of life left in it anyways.
  13. renewed macrumors 68040


    Mar 24, 2009
    Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
    1. It wasn't that big of an upgrade from the 3G for me to pay early upgrade. Next summer, July 6, I get the "full discount price". That is also around the time Apple releases iPhones so I decided to wait.

    2. I am starting to get bored with the OS. Honestly Android is looking really good right now. Especially on some of the new HTC phones. The phones themselves are pretty sweet too.

    3 This pretty much entails #1 and #2. I'm really hoping for big things from Apple on the next iPhone. I really think the past 2 (2G and 3G) have been big hits and have been ontop of the market, however, with this last upgrade I was under impressed. If Apple doesn't come out with something amazing, which they usually do to be honest, then I may move on to something else.

    Pretty much just waiting for something a little better before I take another dive.
  14. Gershon thread starter macrumors member


    Jan 28, 2009
    Yup, that's why. If it ain't broke, why fix it? ;) 3.0 works fine for me, and, even new iPhone released improves over its predescessor, which clearly shows that even if I wait till 2010 ( 4th generation iPhone ) , I can still enjoy a faster processor and more goodies. :D
    :apple: is a game of waiting and getting the best . :cool:
  15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6


    Aug 17, 2007
    I didn't because I'm not eligible until November and didn't feel like paying the extra money.
  16. rdstoll macrumors 6502

    Jul 15, 2008
    I've been totally on the fence with this and can upgrade at the best price right now if I want. I'm going to go ahead and do it today...basic reasoning is that I have ~24GB of music in iTunes and it's a bit of a pain to have to create playlists that fit on my 16GB 3G. A 32GB 3G S takes care of the problem. Plus I like the idea of snapping videos.
  17. natalie addict macrumors newbie

    Jun 12, 2009
    I am still using the orignal issue iPhone that I bought on the very first day it was released. Still works great, and with the software upgrades, even more useful than before. Sure all the new stuff is great but I don't really need it. Besides I have stereo BT with a dongle that works great and that takes off even more pressure to upgrade. So when something bigger to upgrade to appears I'll be inclined to consider it.

    I've been around computers since the the IBM PC XT and Mac SE days so it takes somewhat more to impress me these days.
  18. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604


    Dec 29, 2006
    dallas, texas
  19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

    Nov 7, 2007
    New Sanfrakota
    No, they'll upgrade next year, along with the rest of you 3G users. Anyone who upgraded from 3G to 3GS will most likely do the same. People who upgraded from original to 3GS might be a different breed.
  20. za9ra22 macrumors 6502a

    Sep 25, 2003
    That's what has me somewhat on the fence. I have an original iPhone, bought mid-July 2007. I love it. It's the best cellphone I've had for usable features and usability, though AT&T service is of somewhat dubious quality.

    The 3GS is sufficiently faster and more feature-packed that I would have no issue upgrading right now if it weren't for the almost-certain knowledge that this time next year, there'll be an iPhone 4G, and that given my 2G is still working well, I would only have to wait another year for a replacement!
  21. wacky4alanis macrumors 6502a

    Mar 18, 2009
    I didn't upgrade because it's not worth $499 to me right now. If/when it goes down to $299 (supposedly Dec 12th for me), I will upgrade. The main reasons for me are the 32 GB storage and the faster processor. I don't really care about any of the other new features, although I will most likely use the video recorder once in a while.
  22. macrumors 68020

    Jun 17, 2009
    Fort Worth, TX
    didn't upgrade because I want 64GB of storage... plus I'm not eleigible for an upgrade till 3/2010
  23. Axl Rose macrumors regular

    Oct 16, 2007
    I got my first iPhone(3g) back in October, so ill be waiting for next years iteration.
  24. iGuardian macrumors 6502a


    Aug 26, 2008
    Still rocking the 2G :p Waiting for something big in 2010.
  25. moka macrumors 6502a

    Aug 11, 2008
    i just used my brain, sold my First Gen for $300 bought the 3GS for $500, so i basically paid $200 for the iphone anyways, which was really fine with me! :)

    Hard not to really upgrade from the First Gen to the 3GS, Huge difference. im amazed at how i was able to live with my First Gen iPhone for that long!

Share This Page