The "I Dislike New Users Post-WWDC" Thread?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by thegoldenmackid, Jun 10, 2009.

1. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

What is up with:
    A. The new pouring of posts that are just useless, I mean I went up and down the Buying, Tips & Advice thread last night, and the onslaught of:
    I. Duplicate Threads
    II. Threads that already exists
    III. Pointless Threads

B. "Lazy" Threads. I mean there have to be thirty-five or forty Back to School related threads, all of which could be answered reading the promotion's restrictions. Are these really the people I am going to college with?

C. "Pissed" Threads. I'm sorry you are pissed, felt ripped off, etc etc etc... But I don't think that this forum is the place to complain about there not being a new Mighty Mouse. I mean I somewhat understand that 3G owners are upset, but seriously, WWDC was not the place for Apple to update: the entire notebook line, the iPod touch, the iPhone, iMac, Mac Mini, Mighty Mouse, keyboard, (I haven't heard any mac pro complaints)...

[/end rant]

Just to be very clear, iThink the moderators do a great job and this is in no way to be commenting on their job, more the users of this site.

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

If you feel a post violates the forum rules feel free to report it. Otherwise users are within their right to post, even if to you and I it seems like a silly post.

The iPhone forums will calm down eventually. People are excited. I even went to post something yesterday, did a search, found nothing, and then was pointed to another earlier thread. With all the threads popping up it's hard to make your way through there.

3. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Yeah, it is crazy in the forums around times like this. I always have Forum Spy open, and on Monday, in about 1 minute, all the posts on the page are new.

I would be curious to see how many posts happened on Monday.

4. thegoldenmackid thread starter macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I mean, the Back to School threads don't violate any rules, but at least three quarter of the ones that I've opened up could be ready by reading over the rules. I mean these kids [haha] are supposed to be the future, and they are too lazy to read?

5. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

In cases where a new thread is already covered by a recent older thread, report the new thread and in the report also provide a link to the older thread. Sometimes people report a thread as being "already covered elsewhere" but due to the fast moving forums we can't find the other thread and we just let it sit.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why was my suggestion to merge all of the "Just got my new MBP!" threads deleted :-(

7. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Since I reported your thread, I'll answer. (; Your "thread" was really more of a "post report" and should have been handled as such, in my opinion. I've been doing this for the past two days: find all threads you feel should be merged, report one of them using the little triangle thingy, and in the report, link to all the other threads. There isn't a need to create a thread in Site and Forum Feedback for that. If you report the thread, the Mods will see it quicker.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I debated reporting each individual thread, but since there were a couple of them I thought it'd be easier to ask here. Oh well. I'll do that next time.

9. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

You could always just contact a moderator rather than posting on the forums.

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Honestly I don't think it would have been wrong to take any of the 3 routes presented. It wasn't particularly high priority in the first place, but it seemed like a good thing to have in one place instead of 50. And I see it was done anyways, so we all win in the end.

And just so this isn't a huge thread hijack;

If you learn one thing in college it's that people are really, really stupid.
    I'm a terrible person, so I find it kind of amusing. People get really worked up over things that are ultimately not important.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Here's a question, doesn't this thread, the title, and the contents herein set off any red flags as a potential firestorm? I'm sorry but the "I dislike new users ..."

I'd say that the content of the OP could be restated and the title should be changed so as to not openly draw attention to the fact that new users have signed up (good for business) to bitch and moan (bad for all) and more seasoned members are pissed off.

I'm sorry but honestly, this thread has no other point than to bitch about the bitching and the title comes off as insulting to new members.

12. thegoldenmackid thread starter macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

If you have any suggestions, I'd be open to changing it...but seriously, I looked at the Join Date of a lot of the posts falling in those categories, they were mostly May/June 2009. Also, plenty of people on the forum are fine using "retard", so?

There are plenty of new users who will be great additions to this forum, chances are they probably won't go to this part of the site and I don't really think that this thread is going to be that problematic or offensive. But once again, I'd be happy to correct myself.

Edit: Also, I was typing this hours before I posted, and then I thought to myself about how negative I was sounding and what not, then I saw the post complaining about the lack of Mighty Mouse Update...and I just typed away...

13. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

One day last summer, I complained about people complaining about people complaining, but then that caused another person to complain about my complaining about complaining about complaining.

14. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I was the one who handled that thread (the one with the suggestion to merge a bunch of threads). I seem to remember that I didn't delete it, I moved to the post report sub-forum so I could deal with it as a post report.

Yes, things like this are best dealt with as reports, because then all the mods will see it and the chances of it getting dealt with are 100%.

It's also true that it's not particularly helpful to report them all one by one, because it would've been hard to keep track of what needed to be merged with what. It's perfect to list up all the threads you think should be merged. You can do that in a post report - just list up the URLs of the threads in question under "Reason". :)

15. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Just wait until they start b*tching about their macs after they receive them. Thats what i hate.

16. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

This always happens every post WWDC and when Apple did MWSF. Nothing new, give it a couple of weeks and you'll see everything calm down.

17. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Super Busy…

I had to leave when it got super busy anyway, was too much stress to get 1500 e-mails a day!!

Bring back the old days!!:apple:

18. xiovoix macrumors regular

xiovoix

I'm new to MacRumors! The OP is fine in having thoughts and opinions like that. Room for all I say. Old and new:cool:. Bleeding new blood comes at a price sometimes but I must admit that the quality of some of the posts are quite astoundingly poor even for a MR virgin like myself. Even the complainers complaining about the complaints of the complainers have their place here. It's a question of balance though.

19. thegoldenmackid thread starter macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I mean I'm glad that some of the new users understand my frustrations. Some of the posts from all of our members, especially myself, can be somewhat troubling, confusing and might seem pointless. But, WWDC, this year seems to have brought out the best of the best in terms of the recently joined crowd.

20. xrayzed macrumors member

I'd like to lodge a complaint about this post...