The "I dont care how much RAM the iPad has" Thread.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by GRuizMD, Mar 2, 2011.

1. GRuizMD macrumors regular

Official Thread... It integrates my music, pictures, apps, books, documents, movies, and more with the 2 iphones, the iMac, the iPod Touch and the ATV at home.

Have I needed more RAM on my iPad 1? Not ever. Will the iPad 2 have more? Probably. Would I change my iPad for a Xoom, just because Xoom has 1Gb of RAM? NO.

2. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

No one will trade iPad for Xoom or any Android tablet for more RAM. But its the Apple strategy that pisses off many. They purposefully don't give things, they give it in the next revision and call it revolutionary.

3. Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

OK... How much ram the iPad has?... I don't see any official info about this.

4. zenio macrumors 6502

Sounds like the voice of disappointment, resentment, and anger speaking.

5. HXGuy macrumors 68000

Or, as is being discussed in another thread, they do what they do to keep costs down (and profits up). Sure, they could give us 1GB of RAM and 5MP cameras, and then they could calli ta Xoom and start it at $799. When you sell 20 Million units of something...a price increase of $5 for more RAM quickly adds up to $100 Million in lost profits.

6. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

What do you mean they don't give things.. They design hardware to meet specific needs and goals... They don't build spec sheet products, that is why they never talk about how much ram is in it, because how much ram is in it, is irrelevant to 99% of the people who even question such things.

They leave that for the copycat devices that literally have no other means of promoting themselves then to throw on extra hardware regardless if it is necessary or not.

They don't just add more ram because ram costs money. Everything has a trade-off, so they go for the best total package possible, the one that allowed them to offer a $499 device to start with... a price point no other company has come close to achieving with comparable hardware, not anywhere close really.

7. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Memory size, like disk size... isn't important unless you run out of it.

8. strang macrumors member

It's all about optimization. Doesn't matter how much RAM you have if your code is bloated you're F'ed.

The PS3 has 256MB of RAM. You don't hear people whining about that.

9. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

i do care about ram. I want at least 512 but would rather 1gb. Just for the simple fact of the god damn checker board pattern well loading websites. doesnt do it at all on my iphone 4 but its all over the ipad.

10. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

This thread is just plain dumb because according to this logic, the iPad can stay at 256 MB while the competing tablets can have 2 GB years from now and even the OP will start to say WTF.

11. CZK macrumors 6502a

Slim models have a NAND of 16 MB.

The NAND chip is flash memory, yes but this ''RAM'' is clealy not comparable to a computer using RAM.

You argument is totally invalid brah.

12. 314631 macrumors 6502a

The OP is exactly the kind of customer Apple likes to attract. :D

13. frogcat macrumors member

Someone close this thread, please. I know people that do the whole spec-challenge between their electronic gadgets, and I will be first in line to slap them in the face (not maliciously but for their own good).

However, having more RAM would be awesome on the iPad device. TRUST ME, if you plan on doing heavy video editing, or heavy multitasking...RAM is your best friend.

Let's not let Apple get off too easily in using cheaper components, when they can easily slide a 1GB RAM in there. It's good for future-proofing...I mean...iPad 1 can't even use iMovie because of RAM specs (might check me on that, cause it might just be because of no camera). Way to go Apple...no really that's not sarcastic cause I still love the iPad haha

14. iMattcotv macrumors 6502

iMattcotv

The only problem I have with 256MB ram is when surfing the web and listening to the radio via an app.

The iPad constantly refreshes a tab while I switch fron Engadget to Gizmodo and others and it drives me insane.

Hopefully the iPad 2 has more RAM -_-

15. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Perhaps this should be called The "I want to buy an underspeced tablet" thread. How about The "I will buy anything Apple makes without asking too many questions" thread.

More to the point, why should we not care about the amount of RAM? The last thing I want is the iPhone 3G of tablets.

16. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

It's pretty much a given that the iPad 2 will have at least 512 ram.

17. puppyflightclub macrumors 6502

owned.

18. Davichi macrumors 6502

Can people please stop with Xoom and iPad?

Xoom costs 799 dollars. For 799 dollars, 1GB is too low. I can get a MBA for 799 dollars and it comes with 2GB ram.

I can go out buy a laptop with intel's sandy bridge processor with 4GB RAM.

Xoom is disgusting and it is an overpriced product.

19. WLS macrumors 65816

I'm buying it. Not gonna wait a year without it. If it's faster than the gen1 then who cares what the memory is. I expect that it will be 512MB and don't care much if it is or isn't more. It does bother me that there is a small chance they will leave it at 256MB just to cut costs. I'll be disappointed if that happens but as long as it is faster I've got no grounds for complaint.
    Yes please can I have another?

20. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

No, the PS3 has 512 RAM, of which 256 is VRAM. Also, the clockings on the PS3 RAM is much better. To make this link is silly.

21. David-fr macrumors 6502

If the OS is fully integrated with the hardware that's why it performs even better than an Android tablet with 1GB ram cause they are not optimized for each other. :)

22. urkel macrumors 68030

This is the danger of apologists of any company. They feel they are doing the company a service by trying to stop people from complaining, but they fail to realize that innovation and change happens WHEN people start questioning the people they support. (This applies to situations outside the tech world too...)

Complaining, challenging, criticizing or expressing needs makes the world a better place. Making excuses does nothing for anyone.

23. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

That's the A4's fault on the larger screen in conjunction with the weaker graphics card. The iPad 2's dual core A5 and presumably beastly graphics chip that has been assumed to be in has already made the checkerboarding effect non-existent on a fully loaded web page.

24. admanimal macrumors 68040

You are missing the point. It doesn't matter if the iPad has 256MB and some other tablet has 4GB a few years from now. What matters is whether the iPad can perform well at the same tasks as the other tablet. If it takes more RAM then so be it, but the average user shouldn't have to worry about what component exactly is making it happen.

25. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

If you don't care how much it has, can you take out all the RAM in yours and give it to me?