The "I don't want a case but dropping my iPhone 4 once = auto-death, so..." Thread

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Savage, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Savage macrumors 6502

Savage

I didn't intend to buy a case for my iP4. I've always preferred the naked iPhone look through all the previous generations and this one is no different. But the 2983289 threads/posts about iP4 death stories are very scary. I know for a fact my phone will not go un-dropped until the next iPhone comes out. And apparently it's a one-strike system with the iPhone 4.

So I guess I should start looking for cases. Would the Bumper help prevent shattering? And who else is like me in the situation?

2. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

I personally don't think a bumper is durable enough to fully save the iPhone 4 from a big drop.

I think I'm going to invest in an Otterbox Defender when they are released because it's summer and I don't want to have to constantly worry about dropping my phone or anything.

But originally I wanted to keep it naked :/

3. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

4. Walter Bell macrumors regular

Hey Guess What! I Dropped My Iphone And It Still Works! Omgzzzz

5. LimeyBastard macrumors regular

I have it. It messes up the camera flash and the plastic back scratches really easy. Other than that, I quite like it!

6. macbookpro45 macrumors 6502

7. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I don't want a case but dropping my iPhone 4 once = auto-death

so..

Wrapsol Ultra + Square Trade Warranty for me. :)

8. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I plan on getting the Otterbox Defender as soon as it is available. It may not be the sexiest case around but it does the job. I've had one since day one on my iPhone 3GS and it still looks as good as the day I got it.

9. LimeyBastard macrumors regular

They do look durable, but they are HUGE aren't they?

10. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

There have been a less than a dozen threads on these forums that I could find where people said they broke their phones. One was a child who grabbed it and slammed it against the floor. Somebody else had it magically slide off of a kitchen counter. Someone else dropped it from about 5 feet onto concrete and a few others. A few of these are also a bit suspicious. Hardly worth freaking out about.

11. Savage thread starter macrumors 6502

Savage

I don't doubt that the first time I drop my phone in the road or even inside a store or something harder than a carpet or grass/dirt, it will completely shatter.

12. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

That's fine if you feel that way, there's no reason to blow it out of proportion.

13. ijen0311 macrumors 65816

ijen0311

I'm going bumper + IS on the back.

I used to have a screen protector on my 3G and 3GS, but the screen here is too pretty. I worry that my earrings will scratch it, but I'll take that chance.

I always kepy my 3G and 3GS in a case, but that was to prevent back scratches. With the IS, I'm not worried about that. I've only dropped an iPhone once (and it shattered), but I'm willing to take that chance. :eek:

14. Xaximus macrumors member

The glass sure is sexy, so it's a shame I'll also be covering the phone up with an Otterbox... maybe a Defender, but I'm leaning towards a Commuter. I have a Defender on my iPod touch and find it too bulky, too prone to picking up lint in my pocket, and too much of a hassle to put it in and out of my pocket.

15. hardsc02 macrumors member

I know the Otterbox Defender that I have for the 3G is definately bulky and ugly. However by the way the pictures look on Otterbox's website, the Defender for the 4 looks a lot better and maybe not as bulky as the previous one. Can't wait until it goes on sale.

16. aequitas1234 macrumors member

Can you remove the plastic back from this case? I'd like to pick this case up and it would be nice if the plastic was removable so I could take it off if it starts to look bad.

17. vebs macrumors regular

Just think about the way the Apple bumper is designed. Unless you're likely to be dropping your phone on rocks or corners, you're pretty much protected from most falls. When I get my phone I'm going for a bumper with Power Support Crystal on the front and back.

18. Savage thread starter macrumors 6502

Savage

Lulz, what was blown out of proportion? The first post said I didn't want a case but now I think I need one because the first time I drop my phone it will probably break. I've seen more than the "less than a dozen threads" phpmaven has seen. Threads/blog posts/stories from real life friends are not limited to the MR forum.

19. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I like the Speck pixelskin cases. They are soft, have a cool look and do a great job of protecting the phone (at least when I used it with my old iPhone 3G).

I don't drop my phone often, but when I do it has to protect the device falling from my hand to a concrete sidewalk. I never thought I'd own a phone made of glass.

20. Gryzor macrumors 6502a

You are all paranoid, and should be more careful. I have never, ever dropped a phone in all 15 years of owning one.

21. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I'm reasonably careful but I also don't want to have to constantly think about how I'm handling my phone. I drop my phone about twice a year and its wonderful to pick it up off the sidewalk with no damage or even a scratch. At least that's been the case so far--knock on wood.

22. hwalker84 macrumors member

I HATE cases on my phone but I have to say this bumper isn't bad at all. Once I get my invisishield i think thats all I will need. Unfortunately my dock is now useless.

23. fuzion macrumors 6502

I bought the reveal originally.. returned it and got the belkin grip vue thingy something..

It's a nice rubbery-silicon case that feels like it would provide nice shock absorption for the phone in the event of a drop..

[​IMG]

24. shadygrove macrumors regular

I set mine out of the way at the bar on Friday, always conscious of it's presents. My coworker somehow tagged it with his rolled up sleeve, not even feeling it. If flew on the floor from about 4 feet. The floor was wooden and my heart sunk when I saw it down there. Alas, no scratch or anything. I decided at that point a case was an order. Then later in my car, I sat the phone down and a piece of dirt/dust made a small visible (at extreme angles) scratch on the back.

I would like to potentially resell this phone, so a case is a must. It survived a drop, but not a spec of dirt. If I wanted to keep it forever and cosmetic wear and tear didn't bother me, I probably wouldn't get one.

25. Apple-NoEscape macrumors 6502

I'm thinking a bumper + invisible shield. However I'm not entirely sure if a bumper will protect the phone. I've dropped my 3gs a few times, once even on concrete from quite a hight, heart skipped a beat and shrunk to my feet then, but not even a scratch. I really hate the idea of putting any kind of case on the phone, shame it's so fragile.