iPad The "I got my iPad Air exchanged and now it's perfect" thread

Discussion in 'iPad' started by KhunJay, Dec 4, 2013.

1. KhunJay macrumors regular

KhunJay

So this is for the unlucky ones who've had screen problems and had theirs exchanged in the 14 day period for brand new replacements.

Was your 2nd replacement perfect? How many did you exchange before you got a normal screen? Or did you just cave in and just accept whatever you got the fourth time around?

Tomorrow, I am going to return my first ipad air for an exchange, 2 days after receiving it....and frankly I am not very optimistic the 2nd ipad air will be the answer to my prayers.

BTW, do the 2nd or 3rd replacement they ship out also come with a 14 day, no questions asked return/exchange period, starting from the day you receive it?

I am prepared to give this whole thing 3 tries....if I get 3 strikes, I will then get a full refund and walk away for a few months.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Oh lord.

Isn't this something that people have and are discussing in countless other threads?
    But I think you should make this the "Official" thread and be sure to use the ™ symbol. ;)

Hope you get the iPad you're looking for.

3. KhunJay thread starter macrumors regular

KhunJay

I believe the other threads are a hodgepodge of screen complaints and the occasional resolution.

I was intending this to be a good news thread...where people who finally got a normal screen could say that they did....and whether it was first, second, third or sixth time lucky.

4. Basilfawltyone macrumors regular

Great!

Finally someone who are just sharing great news!

I also got a great screen the second time and YES it is a bit annoying but again a bit of a Frist World problem. Some people are dying of diseases, lack of food, war etc.

Our biggest problem is a slight yellow tint on our iPads...

But again, great that you are spreading positive news.

5. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

took me 3 tries, 4 if you count the retina mini.

consistent with the 1/4 ratio i see in two local stores

6. JGWolven macrumors regular

I must have been really lucky to get a perfect one on launch day.

7. maccompatible macrumors 6502

Irrelevant. We should get what we paid for.

More on topic, I got an iPad in mid-November from Target. It had the yellow/pink screen. I returned it and I'm waiting on my new Air straight from Apple. I'll let you guys know what it looks like next week sometime.

8. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Have you been sitting in the stores with a clipboard? :)

9. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Should I start the "I got my perfect iPad on my first try" thread now? :p

10. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Yes. That way everyone can tell you that you are wrong and you just don't know the ten tests to run your iPad through to find defects (that you would not even notice in normal use).

11. Dlanod macrumors 6502a

Took me four attempts and glad to say I have one I'm happy with at last. Each one had QC issues that many would have been happy to accept. Mainly uneven yellow tints and one case of debris under the screen.

In my experience the first batch seems to suffer but I never learn and hope each time it will be different. Only have had major issues with iPad 3 and now the rMini. iPad 3 was ridiculous.

12. randymac88 macrumors regular

These yellow screen problems are so ridiculous. Happens with every launch. It's just the glue, and eventually it's going to set and be perfect.

13. doboy macrumors 68000

I got my rMini on day of release from Apple and it was PERFECT. I just received my shipment of iPad Air from Best Buy and it too is PERFECT. :D

14. Jbru187 macrumors member

I thought it was already established that it's not a glue problem since there is no glue to dry with the Air screen.

15. everydayCARD macrumors member

Went through a whole bunch of rMinis on the day it was released, but every single one of them had dead pixels, dust under the screen, yellow tint, etc. After coming to the conclusion that rMinis have screen problems probably due to the rushed production, i gave up on rMinis and got an Air instead. Thankfully i got a perfect screen less a speck of tiny dust under the screen. I decided that i could live with the tiny dust particle, so i feel pretty good about it. I checked out an ipad Air that my friend got over black friday, and i was once again reminded how lucky I am to have received a perfect screen. Her screen has the book spine effect and the yellow tint.

Surprisingly enough, she doesnt seem to realize that that is an issue. She asked me to check her screen and i just told her that her screen is good. If she didnt see the issue, i dont think it would do her any good if i point out the flaws with her screen.

16. Dlanod macrumors 6502a

I agree they are ridiculous but nothing to do with glue but simply poor screen backlighting.

17. KhunJay thread starter macrumors regular

KhunJay

By the sounds of it, it might be a very slim thread. :D

18. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

No, not really. Even here in MacRumors there's a lot of people with perfect iPads on the first try. Don't confuse this reality distortion field with real life. ;)

19. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

I exchanged my iPad Air and got an "almost perfect" screen that I'm happy with. I don't understand the need for people to belittle those who get a yellow screen and return it, sometimes multiple times, in an attempt to get a decent screen. I have had many Apple products and up to my iPad 4 they all had some variation of a white screen, (cool, warm, etc) but none were yellow or had gradients. Yes, it is a first world problem but since we live in the first world that comment is irrelevant and ridiculous to keep using like it is an original thought. If you received a good screen on your first try or don't care one way or the other whether your screen has flaws that is fine, but don't criticize those who won't settle for a flawed product. If it bothers you there is always the option to stay away from the threads about screen problems. And no the yellow screen isn't a glue problem and is not likely to go away with time so please stop offering that useless uninformed advice as well.

20. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Very good point. Some people around here seem to have a need to prove to people that these issues exists. On the other hand, there are people who need to convince people that they don't exist.

I say let people look at their own screen, if it is acceptable by their standards, let them enjoy it.

21. KhunJay thread starter macrumors regular

KhunJay

There is no 'reality distortion' here bud...this is real life.

I ordered my ipad air a week ago, in good faith, despite reading all the screen complaints here and elsewhere. I figured I needed to see for myself.

The problem does exist...and its unacceptable to me.

Right now, there are 3 camps: those who were lucky enough to get a flawless screen, those who are living with a poor screen and those who are blissfuly unaware their screens are not up to a certain standard.
    I want to be in the first camp but it's hard work.

22. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

Mine is fine and trust me I looked hard for problems but there ain't, it's just perfectly fine. I was lucky on the first shot, unfortunately it doesn't happen lately with apple products :(

23. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

There is a likely a distortion of how wide spread this problem is. It seems that people are much more likely to make a post or write a review of a product when they are dissatisfied than when they are 100% happy with a product.

How often do you think a customer service rep gets a call to tell them how great their product and/or service is?

This has been mentioned in many posts, but you also need to consider your sample here. Most people here on MR are likely far more into their devices than the average consumer. Therefore, it is more likely that MR members are going to run these "tests" to check out their screens. Perhaps this is an "ignorance is bliss" situation, but at the end of the day there are probably far more people who are happy with their Air than those who aren't.

24. KhunJay thread starter macrumors regular

KhunJay

I don't see the distortion here...i think most people here (me included) are speaking strictly for themselves when they say they have an inconsistent screen. We are not saying that everyone has it....but it does seem to be a widespread problem.

And of course, I'm more likely write about a product when it fails on me...not when it performs as advertised. I've already paid apple their premium price...I don't think I have to also kiss their ass about how good it is....if i wasn't led to believe it was good I would never have bought it in the first place.

25. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Oh, you wouldn't?

:D