Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Emathieu

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
Looks like my iMac has taken the long road to NY (thru Ohio then thru Maryland). Looks like tomorrow will be the day unless they send it to Arkansas next ;)

Can't wait.

Well, my tracking finally updated today, and while it HAS made it here to Atlanta, it won't be delivered now until tomorrow.

Kilger

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2008
Well I finally pulled the trigger on my first mac. Went with the 21.5 3.06 i3 refurb can't wait!

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
This is torture! Where he dickens is this fedex guy? Lol. It's quarter to five. I'm drinking a tallboy of Busch to calm my nerves, but I think it's having the opposite effect. Lol.

RuggedPro

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2010
This is torture! Where he dickens is this fedex guy? Lol. It's quarter to five. I'm drinking a tallboy of Busch to calm my nerves, but I think it's having the opposite effect. Lol.

Didn't get to my house till 6:45pm... Sucks.

RuggedPro

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2010
I know know! And I still gotta run migration assistant when I power on. Might not get to actually "play" till tomorrow. Lol

I had about 150gb to come over. Not much. Got most of my stuff on a NAS. Very few things stay host on my machines now that I got that thing set up.

Emathieu

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
Mine came today as well, and I have to say - I am absolutely blown away with it! My screen is perfect - I can't find any issues with it at all. I have the Seagate drive, and while I CAN hear it on major accesses, it isn't loud at all - much quieter than my MacBook drive and my firewire RAID enclosures, so no worries there. Definitely no "bad" sounds, just normal hard drive sounds (and muted at that).

I've been putting off performing my migration due to wanting to check it out, but I guess I'll start that process now...

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
Mine came today as well, and I have to say - I am absolutely blown away with it! My screen is perfect - I can't find any issues with it at all. I have the Seagate drive, and while I CAN hear it on major accesses, it isn't loud at all - much quieter than my MacBook drive and my firewire RAID enclosures, so no worries there. Definitely no "bad" sounds, just normal hard drive sounds (and muted at that).

I've been putting off performing my migration due to wanting to check it out, but I guess I'll start that process now...

Migration is painful for sure. But I've only got 45 minutes left. Damn it just went up to 46 minutes. Now 47. I think the iMac is taking me back in time while I'm typing on my iPod.

Agreed about the internal HD. I can hear it when it's doing some intense writing/reading but it's muffled for sure. And the MacBook pro on my desk is louder than the iMac. Screen is gorgeous, though I haven't done anything fun on it, just watched the migration countdown clock.

Can't wait to open Pro Tools and check out all my screen real estate. Not sure if I'm going to get used to this Magic Mouse though. I might have to plug in my Logitech V220.

Last edited:

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
Finally typing on my new 27" i7. This thing is pretty sweet. Looks like migration went pretty well. All my icons are where I left them. Now the fun begins.

Str8shvr

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2011
N.E. Oklahoma
Hey guys,
After 20 years of using pc's I finally decided to make the switch. I should be taking delivery of a 27 inch 2.93ghz i7 quad core with 16 gigs of ram, a 1 tb hd + a 256 gb solid state hd later this week. I was looking for info on the dual layer disc drive and found this site. I also have an iPad, and a iPod nano which I use with the ihome color tunes.

Now that I have the important part out of the way, my name is Tony, and my other hobbies include amateur radio and photography (35mm). I'm disabled, so I have a lot of time on my hands. I also enjoy wet shaving. My favorite Utensil being straight razors, hence my username. I look forward to participating in the forum and picking up a few tips and tricks along the way.

Last edited:

beccaness

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2011
Tennessee
New Here

I come to this site all the time for random bits of information, so I decided to become a member.

I've had a 15" MacBook Pro for 2 years, now, and it's started to get where it can't handle the
stuff I need it to do (preferably run Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign all at once :eek:)... It
has also been misbehaving, lately.... So I bought a 21.5" iMac! Would've gotten the 27, but don't
really have the desk space.

I'm currently in college to become a Graphic Designer. We have multiple 27" iMac labs there, so
I knew exactly what I wanted. It's disappointing working on them, then having to work on a 15" :(

FedEx tracker still says it has departed Sacramento on the 10th, no updates since. I ordered it
on the 7th. You'd think they'd give more info on something that costs as much as it does...

I'm excited about the speed and screen size, also, the magic trackpad. I hate mice. HATE.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
Mine might be going back. Not sure what the problem is, but I'm unable to daisy chain a FireWire audio interface and FireWire hard drive off I'd the FireWire port. I was able to do this without a hitch on my MacBook Pro for 10 months. And the iMac can't do it without Pro Tools giving me errors upon playing back a relatively light session. This session should honestly be small potatoes to this quad.

I did initially set it up via Migration Assistant. So this time I'm going to do a fresh install of OSX, and of Pro Tools and my audio interface, and try it again.

If I get the same errors, this thing is going back to the refurb store and I'm getting a Mac Pro. Shame too. I LIKE the iMac. I want it to work. I love the screen. Love the simplicity of all in one. I dig it. But so far it has come up short on me.

*crossing fingers.

RuggedPro

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2010
I've got a scratch or a knick in the dead ass center of my monitor. Can't see it till I put a bright color on it. Only then does it refract the light. Couldn't be smaller but definitely there.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
I've got a scratch or a knick in the dead ass center of my monitor. Can't see it till I put a bright color on it. Only then does it refract the light. Couldn't be smaller but definitely there.

Ouch. I'd definitely be on the phone with returns for that. You gonna live with it or call and give em some piss and vinegar?

RuggedPro

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2010
Ouch. I'd definitely be on the phone with returns for that. You gonna live with it or call and give em some piss and vinegar?

Ruturning it, because as of this morning I can't get it to even turn on... Got up went to bring it out of sleep. No dice. Power cycled. No dice. Unplugged it and plugged it back in. No dice.

Got it back on finally... No idea WTF is up.

Last edited:

solsticeviolet

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2009
New England
Waiting oh so patiently for my new i7 to arrive. Tracking said it was in Utah early Saturday morning and hasn't updated since. Must... not... check... again! Of course I had to live all the way on the other side of the continent! :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.