Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diagnostics247

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2012
Shipping Times?

I just ordered my Mac Mini with the 256GB SSD. I would have loved to wait for a refresh but I am in university and need it quickly.

Does it really take them 2-3 weeks to install and SSD in one and ship it?? Does anyone have experience getting their mini earlier than that after doing BTO purchase?

AndrewClarke

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2007
Their shipping times and lack of refurb options do seem kind of telling, but I don't know if it means anything or not. It doesn't take 2-3 weeks to install an SSD, but it's possible they are not stocking as many SSDs as they need to meet current demand. I'm not sure of this, but I THINK the Mac Mini is the only Mac still using a 2.5" SSD. You could read into this that possibly Apple doesn't want to be stuck with a lot of 2.5" SSD in stock, so they're ordering them in small batches which is leading to a shipping delay.

I'm replacing my 2008 Mac Pro with a Mac Mini or two. I have one that was supposed to show up on Friday (guaranteed delivery?!) that is now supposed to show up today. I ordered the 4GB 2.6 1TB version as I'll add my own 512 or 768GB SSD for Fusion Drive. I have 16GB of RAM sitting here ready to go in it. My Mac Pro has 20GB of RAM and that's constraining me, and that's the main reason why I would have loved to wait for a new Mac Mini. However, I need it now, so I'll buy it and put it on Kijiji if a new one comes out soon that's that much better. Or it will go into my basement as a server to offload some of the work my main workstation needs to do.

I'd have loved to pick up a refurb too but there just haven't been any available.

mehtdosa11

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2012
nr London
Joining the Mac Mini famiy

Hi there,

Just ordered my Mini yesterday from the Apple UK Refurb Store and it should arrive tomorrow! Can't wait!!
I've been toying with the idea of replacing my mid-2011 iMac for a while now as I find the 21.5 screen to be just a little too small for my needs. I've got an Asus 24" hdmi monitor I've been using hooked up to the iMac but space is a bit cramped on the desk with both!.
I was going to buy a Mini originally in 2012 but went for the iMac from the refurb store instead. I've turned into a bit of a refurb junkie with my iMac, Airport Extreme, 2tb Time Capsule all coming from there but they all work and look they are brand new. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone as a way of getting some bargains.
All of the Mini's seem to sell out quickly in the refurb store, but I logged on early yesterday morning to see two models back in stock, the i5 and i7. I faffed around until lunchtime doing some research on this forum and elsewhere before I decided to go with the i7. Clicked on the buy button only to be told it was out of stock! Damn! Refreshed the page and it had gone from the store, only i5's left. Anyway sulked all afternoon until I visited the store again around 6pm to see the i7 back there again. This time the sale went through, although afterwards it had gone from the store again, they must have only had one! Got the 2.3GHz i7 with 4GB ram and 1TB hd for £579, £100 off the new price for the latest model, bargain methinks...just hope Apple don't release a new one tomorrow!!
The iMac will go on eBay next week, so I should cover the cost of the Mini. Just need to upgrade the memory, £125.99 for 16GB from Crucial, although even 8GB would probably be enough for me, as I'm just a regular user, no gaming or video stuff etc. Hopefully I'll get a TBD by the end of the year, but they seem insanely expensive. Although interestingly they have now added a 'Displays' section to the Refurb Store...nothing in there yet though.

BTW just checked the UK Refurb store again, even the i5's have gone now. New entry is a 2.6ghz i7 with 8GB ram and 1TB fusion drive for £899...

2011 iMac 2.5GHz i5/12GB Ram/500GB hd
iPad 4 32GB wi-fi
iPad Mini 1 32GB wi-fi/cellular
iPhone 5s 32GB
Time Capsule 2TB [2011]
Airport Extreme [2011]
Apple TV [2nd gen]

Last edited:

Karlitr0s

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2014
Last edited:

damon32382

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2014
And at least it is upgradeable; who knows about the new version? I would not doubt if the new mini goes the same way as laptops with soldered memory. I just bot this same config and replaced the internal hdd with a 256GB Samsung EVO, and am getting a fast external raid0 array for online storage. It is quite a beat!

Definitely the question indeed. But I figure since the new iMacs have upgradable memory, the Haswell refresh probably will too. At least that's what I'm telling myself...wishful thinking..lol!!

Miklo

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2014
F It, I just got a current mac mini lol

Will be using it for Logic Pro X.

Got the i7, 16GB Ram, 256GB solid state drive current mini. From all accounts, I imagine this is still a solid performer.

Can't imagine the new mini will give me anything substantially better than that for my use (Logic X)

To all those holding out...I was in the same boat, reading updates every day. It could be updated next week, it could be 8 months from now, just ask yourself for your needs, will the speculated update be worth the possible wait.

Cape Dave

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast

Got the i7, 16GB Ram, 256GB solid state drive current mini. From all accounts, I imagine this is still a solid performer.

Can't imagine the new mini will give me anything substantially better than that for my use (Logic X)

To all those holding out...I was in the same boat, reading updates every day. It could be updated next week, it could be 8 months from now, just ask yourself for your needs, will the speculated update be worth the possible wait.

You will love it! A very fine computer!

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona

You lasted longer than me. I gave up in January and got an i7, installed 16GB RAM and a 960GB SSD. I'm very happy with it.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I am so close on just getting the mini now, we don't really know when it's coming and my XP will expire soon. I'm seriously thinking of getting the X Server with (2) 256 GB SSD drives. I need more than (1) 256 GB and I don't want to mess with installing a 2nd drive. Just I'm paying for the X Server software and I don't need it.

808?

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Hong Kong
Enjoy your new Mini, I grabbed a refurb 2 weeks ago, couldn't be happier.

Suits my needs now and was tired of the waiting.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
I'm seriously thinking of getting the X Server with (2) 256 GB SSD drives.
Are you sure you don't mean "mini server", I've included a picture of an "X server" for clarity.

Attachments

• apple-xserve.jpg
    apple-xserve.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I picked up months ago the i7 2.6 Mac Mini just short of the release date of the Mac Pro. I knew the new Mac (mini) Pro didn't offer me anything I needed and though I am not crazy about the integrated graphics chip in the Mini, it works well enough for my needs.

If/when the new Mac Mini comes out and if it has the Iris Pro, I'll probably pick it up and that gives me two excellent computers far cheaper than the nMP for regular use and photo / digital related work. Candidly, none of the Mac offerings are "perfect" for me but close enough.

mik385

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2014
Finally I switch to MAC! BUT....

Dear all, I finally switch from PC to MAC Mini Late 2012:) But i have 3 issue right now. I am a big storage user hence is always the issue to move to MAC. Currently I put my storage to my windows pc for samba sharing to my MAC and connect a external probox HF2-SU3S2 to MAC.
I am on the latest mavericks 10.9.2.

1. Samba sharing is very unstable, it takes awhile to refresh the directory list. I search online and found there are issue with the new SMB2? hence i connected via "CIFS://" instead but seems like still not working very well..

Any resolution for connecting shares from windows?

2. The Probox HF2-SU3S2 is connecting directly to my MAC Mini, it shows connected to hi-speed and transfer speed is at USB2 instead of USB3. The Probox works fine on my windows's USB 3 with good transfer speed. I have also connect another WD My passport to my MAC and works fine, connected to super-speed and USB 3 speed.

Anyway to force it to connect to USB3? USB is too slow as I need to transfer 10 over TBs. I am using 4x4TB WD RED Drives for the Probox.

3. The Probox connecting it whenever i wake my MAC, it have an eject error hence now setting the Mac & HDD not to sleep.

Thanks in Advance!

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Like you guys, I have been waiting to see how the Mac Mini refresh shakes out, and today decided to pop the cork and just pick one up. The quad-core i7 with the 16GB RAM upgrade kit I ordered separately ought to be enough, with all the other nice peripheral that I have, to keep me happy for a few years I imagine. Even if a refreshed model appears in the next few months, as long as my needs are being met I'll be happy.

This is my first Apple desktop; I have a Linux tower desktop that's getting long in the tooth but still serves as my primary Plex server among other things. I'm planning on converting it into a ghetto NAS.

Bones519

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2014
I got tired of waiting so a couple of weeks ago I grabbed an i7, dropped in 16 GB RAM and an SSD. I've used Macs before in a former place of work (about 7 years ago). I liked Windows 7 but after 'upgrading' to Win 8.1 and despite doing all the tweaks to get rid of Metro, I decided to say F it. What a piece of crap it is.
I know it'll take time to adapt OSX but I like this little box. Also picked up an iPad Air. Like it a lot too.

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
Dear all, I finally switch from PC to MAC Mini Late 2012:) But i have 3 issue right now. I am a big storage user hence is always the issue to move to MAC. Currently I put my storage to my windows pc for samba sharing to my MAC and connect a external probox HF2-SU3S2 to MAC.
I am on the latest mavericks 10.9.2.

1. Samba sharing is very unstable, it takes awhile to refresh the directory list. I search online and found there are issue with the new SMB2? hence i connected via "CIFS://" instead but seems like still not working very well..

Any resolution for connecting shares from windows?

2. The Probox HF2-SU3S2 is connecting directly to my MAC Mini, it shows connected to hi-speed and transfer speed is at USB2 instead of USB3. The Probox works fine on my windows's USB 3 with good transfer speed. I have also connect another WD My passport to my MAC and works fine, connected to super-speed and USB 3 speed.

Anyway to force it to connect to USB3? USB is too slow as I need to transfer 10 over TBs. I am using 4x4TB WD RED Drives for the Probox.

3. The Probox connecting it whenever i wake my MAC, it have an eject error hence now setting the Mac & HDD not to sleep.

Thanks in Advance!

Start a new thread in Mac Peripherals on this. You can get some help there .

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
Unbelievable

I've been using windows about 20 years now
I had a hp i7 3,4 16GB ram
I've bought the basic mini i7 4GB ram
It runs smoother than the hp
apple, I'm a believer

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
Landed!

After almost six years, I bought a new Mac. The 2.3 GHz i7 base model, and upgraded it to 16 GB and a 480G Crucial SSD.
I don't play games, I just use VMware, so anything beyond HD4000 is useless to me. Even more so, as any monitor with capabilities beyond what the HD4000 can display is also beyond my budget.
While I had initially hoped to be able to wait for the successor of the current model, I'm not sure it would have been worth the wait.
The SSD is ten or twelve times faster than the disk in my iMac from 2008, in terms of IOPs it's probably beyond factor 30 or 40.
I haven't yet made up my mind if I should go for the TB-display or not. I like the fact that it has speakers built in and the single TB cable for everything - but I hate the glare.
I'm not sure if Apple will release another non-4K display at this point. The market is going 4K anyway and that's where the margins are.

gbredneck

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2010
One month after my warranty expired on my 27" 2010 iMac, it died on me, with the prospect of dumping £700 on a replacement board and installation i decided to go for a new machine, was considering the mac pro, until the sales guy at apple asked me if i was mad, and why wasn't i just going for a mini?

Anyway, went with the i7 2.6, 16gb and 256Gb SSD, it took almost 2 weeks to come, but its been worth it, i've since bought an external Thunderbolt drive caddy and a pair of 500Gb SSD's and its running like a dream! and far faster than the iMac it replaced.

EricandSuebee

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2014
New Hampshire
I got yesterday a new Mac Mini i7 2.3GHz 4G of ram and 256G SSD, couldn't wait any longer to see if Apple would come out with a new mini this year or next, very happy with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.