Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KingKen1986

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
bought a quad core mac mini today this computer is a beast. Much faster than my old macbook pro.

You are sure right that they are a beast. I still laugh because people on this forum call the quad core mini "slow" and "antiquated" :apple::D:apple:

cypriot

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
The "I just ordered / bought / got my new/refurb Mac Mini" threads, merged

You are sure right that they are a beast. I still laugh because people on this forum call the quad core mini "slow" and "antiquated" :apple::D:apple:

Its not i7 quad thats slow or antique its hd4000 gpu and 5400 hdd.

cypriot

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
unless you are a gamer, this really is not an issue. Need a faster drive? Plug in an external usb 3.0 or Thunderbolt SSD.

It is not an issue now but if apple updates mini for example in january and lets say we bought it now i know that feeling i got with ipad 3. If apple announced they will stop developing mini i would buy it or an imac probably. However no one knows what will happen and this makes me feel uncertain about buying it. If it had current gpu i would pay for ssd and other stuff and if they updated recently i wouldnt get a buyers remorse.

KingKen1986

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
It is not an issue now but if apple updates mini for example in january and lets say we bought it now i know that feeling i got with ipad 3. If apple announced they will stop developing mini i would buy it or an imac probably. However no one knows what will happen and this makes me feel uncertain about buying it. If it had current gpu i would pay for ssd and other stuff and if they updated recently i wouldnt get a buyers remorse.

I just got mine a few weeks ago and I would not have buyers remorse if they came out with a new one tomorrow. They are always going to come out with new and better things no matter when you get it. I got mine because I had to get rid of my cMBP and needed a computer and was in no way going to get a windows based computer or build one. Being an IT I spend too much time with windows already. I bought my mini which will still be a powerful computer even if they come out with a new one. If you don't want to get one than don't. While you worry about that I just got a Magic Trackpad and am enjoying that.

cypriot

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
The "I just ordered / bought / got my new/refurb Mac Mini" threads, merged

I just got mine a few weeks ago and I would not have buyers remorse if they came out with a new one tomorrow. They are always going to come out with new and better things no matter when you get it. I got mine because I had to get rid of my cMBP and needed a computer and was in no way going to get a windows based computer or build one. Being an IT I spend too much time with windows already. I bought my mini which will still be a powerful computer even if they come out with a new one. If you don't want to get one than don't. While you worry about that I just got a Magic Trackpad and am enjoying that.

Its a personal preference you know. I buy my computers to use them very very long time. And for that i try to find the best possible option available. If i desperately needed it i would have bought it by now. My 09 macbook is fine for basic usage and my business. I just want to get a bit more up to date.

I completely agree that something great is always on the corner. I really got burned with ipad 3 as it was laggy and weak after 3 months and new version came out really early. I still use it and enjoy it its not like i worry about it constantly. I just wish apple fix the worries of people like me and we can continue our apple experience longer.

Enjoy your purchase. I know i would enjoy it if i bought it but i am a type of person that cannot buy with questions in my head.

jypfoto

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2014
I was set on replacing my HP 23" all in one that's running an i3 processor which is showing its age. Decided to try a Mac for a cleaner, simpler look and after using a touch screen all in one for many years wanted to get away from another all in one system. I couldn't justify the price of a Pro so decided on a mini. I wanted to hold off and wait on a mini for a refresh but I stumbled upon a deal I couldn't pass up. I know I wanted an i7 and tried to hold out for a 2.6 one. Most of the late 2012 that are being sold used are the i5's and the few i7's that are sold are the 2.3's. I was originally going to find a base 2.6 i7 and upgrade the ram, add a 256 SSD and a 1TB 7200 RPM drive in it. But I'm very happy to report that I'm the proud new owner of a 2.6 i7.

Not only that but it has 8GB of ram (still trying to decide whether I should put 16gb in it). Also shipped with the Fusion drive. Even better it came with the Wireless keyboard and the Magic Trackpad. Best part was I paid only $650 for it! One of my better purchases that I think I got a great deal one. If I had bought one base and upgraded it it would've cost me roughly $1,200 or so not including the keyboard and trackpad. So I figure I got close to what I was looking at spending for half the price. Now to put the savings towards a monitor.

poematik13

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2014
Its not i7 quad thats slow or antique its hd4000 gpu and 5400 hdd.

The 4000 is more than fine for everyday tasks (browsing, document creations, music, etc). And you shouldn't be running a 5400rpm drive in 2014 ;) get an ssd

cypriot

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
The 4000 is more than fine for everyday tasks (browsing, document creations, music, etc). And you shouldn't be running a 5400rpm drive in 2014 ;) get an ssd

I am sure its fine for now but it will not be fine for the future. I have been using my mbp since 2008 and that is why i buy apple computers. With os/sw updates and new feautres its unlikely that anyone can use this mini 6 years apart from internet browsing and doc creation but you can still do these on old computers and i3 pc's for much cheaper. They are fine for everyday tasks now but they are not preferable because they are loosing compatibility.

For those who need some gpu power for small video and cpu for other tasks but not in the level of 3K nmp mini will be outdated soon. I want to make smart purchases so they last long enough. "It is enough currently" is not a good answer to many peoples needs.

poematik13

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2014
I am sure its fine for now but it will not be fine for the future. I have been using my mbp since 2008 and that is why i buy apple computers. With os/sw updates and new feautres its unlikely that anyone can use this mini 6 years apart from internet browsing and doc creation but you can still do these on old computers and i3 pc's for much cheaper. They are fine for everyday tasks now but they are not preferable because they are loosing compatibility.

For those who need some gpu power for small video and cpu for other tasks but not in the level of 3K nmp mini will be outdated soon. I want to make smart purchases so they last long enough. "It is enough currently" is not a good answer to many peoples needs.

ok then wait till next week and get the redesigned model which will probably have an iris pro

Jona330

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2013
Decided not to wait any longer, just pulled the trigger on the i7 mini, delivery due tomorrow, amazon prime

Looking at the new mini, glad I got this when I did. Great fun upgraded the ram and will look to get SSD later, but first looking at a Cinema Display to show off the Yosemite upgrade!

SolarShane

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
Ordered the 2.6 GHz model with an added 256 flash storage. Adding the flash was the only way to convince me to actually spend the moola.

Flash storage rocks.

After a hard long thought about it and coming from a dual core system already, I can get by with a dual core mini just fine. OS X has some awesome efficiency technologies built into it. Can't wait to see the full effect of Yosemite's graphical enhancements.

VTECaddict

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
I'm so glad I lucked out with one of the 2012 quad core i7 refurbs this morning from Apple for $589! Can't wait to get it. It should be a huge performance upgrade from my aging late 2008 uMBP, HD4000 graphics notwithstanding. :cool:

Oracle1729

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2009
It is not an issue now but if apple updates mini for example in january and lets say we bought it now i know that feeling i got with ipad 3.

Any future mac mini will have soldered memory, so it's not an issue for me. Unless Apple does a major reversal of direction, this is the last mac I will ever consider buying. So at this point my only decision is to buy the i7 quad now and switch to windows in a few years or switch to windows now.

cypriot

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
Any future mac mini will have soldered memory, so it's not an issue for me. Unless Apple does a major reversal of direction, this is the last mac I will ever consider buying. So at this point my only decision is to buy the i7 quad now and switch to windows in a few years or switch to windows now.

I wrote that before the "update". Any update from now seems to be a downgrade. I dont care about soldered memory but i dont want to buy a dual core computer unless i see results that compete with it. I dont think that will happen anytime soon. I guess i will go with a custom pc too and hope nmp prices come dirt cheap one day. No hope from mini anymore. Apple uses it to recycle its parts inventory.

Oracle1729

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2009
I wrote that before the "update". Any update from now seems to be a downgrade. I dont care about soldered memory but i dont want to buy a dual core computer unless i see results that compete with it. I dont think that will happen anytime soon. I guess i will go with a custom pc too and hope nmp prices come dirt cheap one day. No hope from mini anymore. Apple uses it to recycle its parts inventory.

Yeah, I realized your posting date after I'd posted my respond. I'm tempted to buy an i7 quad and keep for as long as possible. But I'm so disgusted by Apple now, I'm reluctant to give them any more money.

SoCalReviews

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
Yeah, I realized your posting date after I'd posted my respond. I'm tempted to buy an i7 quad and keep for as long as possible. But I'm so disgusted by Apple now, I'm reluctant to give them any more money.

If you need the multi-core processing power I would highly recommend you get the 2012 i7 quad while you can. There is a possibility that there will be a Broadwell quad core model in the near future but you will still pay a premium for Apple to solder 16GB RAM to the board.

----------

You could do both. Buy the i7 quad now and if you become disgruntled with Apple run Windows with a Parallels VM as an easy bridge to a future Windows system.

nidserz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
Dubai x Toronto
I just picked up a 2012 2.3GHz i7 last night at a local store while they still had them in stock. Will sue it as my media centre/server so the 1TB will be nice, and I will install my SSD and 8GB RAM from my old MacBook.

ViktorEvil

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2014
England
I ordered a 2014 Mac Mini last night. Didn't have much choice as I sold my rMBP months ago and Ive been using just an iPad in the meantime to get my internet fix.

2.6Ghz i5
8GB Ram
1TB Fusion Drive

Yes the specs could have been better (Quad i7, iris Pro etc) but it will last me 2 years then will replace my old C2Duo Mac Mini that sits under my TV as a HTPC / iTunes server.

only using it for Xcode, browsing and email etc.

bounou

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
Ordered the 2.6Ghz 8GB 1TB fusion drive model and i just got the shipping notification 2 minutes ago, should have it Thursday! With a little luck my iPad Air 2 will come in this week also!

Was a difficult decision, i sold my MBP before the keynote fully expecting that i would get an iMac to replace it but the combination of old processor and GPU do not exactly make me want to spend 4000$ on a computer.

I have a 2012 dual core mini and i considered upgrading it to 16GB of ram and giving it a SSD but i would of spent about the same amount for the ram and SSD when you consider the resale value of the old mini, it just made more sense to buy a new one.

At this point i will wait and see what the Mac Pro looks like when it gets Haswell and i might pick up a LG 34UM95-P to replace my ThunderBolt Display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.