Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gildarts

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2014
Package finally received yesterday. In my situation they never tried to upsell to another model they had in stock. They were always friendly and helpful. I just realized that whenever I called them, somebody actually picked up and I was never placed on hold. I'd buy from them again, that is of course if I'm in no hurry to get the product (who am I kidding? I'm always anxious!)

Anyway, in the limited time I've played around with the MBP, I already know I made the right choice to switch from Windows. I use Win7 at work (HP and Dell laptops) and now I feel like I'm using ancient technology, but that's probably because it's actually true.

Does anybody have any recommended sites I can go to (other than Apple's) so I can learn the ropes? Guides, tutorials, tips, tricks, etc. are much appreciated!

You might want to get started with this:

(If you're completely new to OS X)

Gildarts

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2014
What's special about canonlake? And do you change your laptop every other year?

It's going to be another die shrink from 14nm (Broadwell/Skylake) to 10nm (Cannonlake).
Basically it's going to be a better chip in a smaller size (supposedly allowing for the chip to be used in IoT & wearables).

The problem is, Intel is already having trouble with it. It was supposed to come out in 2016 but it has already been delayed to 2nd half 2017.

If you ask me -you didn't- Cannonlake is going to be the same disaster Broadwell was.

dingdong

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2007
It's going to be another die shrink from 14nm (Broadwell/Skylake) to 10nm (Cannonlake).
Basically it's going to be a better chip in a smaller size (supposedly allowing for the chip to be used in IoT & wearables).

The problem is, Intel is already having trouble with it. It was supposed to come out in 2016 but it has already been delayed to 2nd half 2017.

If you ask me -you didn't- Cannonlake is going to be the same disaster Broadwell was.

Who is to say Skylake won't be a disaster as well? With the so call redesign coming for the next Pro lines we just don't know. You can be almost certain it'll be thiner but my concern will be lack of ports and keyboard from the new macbook etc.

Gildarts

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2014
Who is to say Skylake won't be a disaster as well? With the so call redesign coming for the next Pro lines we just don't know. You can be almost certain it'll be thiner but my concern will be lack of ports and keyboard from the new macbook etc.

That's easy to answer. Since Cannonlake is delayed, Skylake is going to be around for a while (followed by Kaby lake though I'm not sure you'd want to upgrade to that).

Broadwell is not a disaster because of its compute power (although that too is unimpressive). It's a disaster because of the rollout which was messy to say the least. There are currently not a lot of notebooks on Broadwell. Most OEM's chose to limit the notebooks with Broadwell to a few select models instead of updating their whole line up.

It's a disaster because it was late. The reason why it was late was because of the problems in manufacturing the new die size. While Intel stumbled and fell during Broadwell, that served as a training round for Skylake which has the same die size. Skylake has been smooth sailing for Intel.

Cannonlake however is another die shrink. And that has proven to be so challenging that they decided to break Moore's law and introduce a second tock called Kaby Lake.

Are you starting to see the pattern here?

James3000

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2015
I'm going to buy my first ever Mac tomorrow after work. I'm going for the 15" MacBook Pro 2015 with 256gb SSD. I'm starting my final year at University (Comp Sci) and badly need a laptop to get work done on the go. I've also got a part-time job doing some programming work for a start-up. I wanted to wait for Skylake, but unfortunately unless it comes in the next week I can't continue to wait.

Although I've always had PC's (I have a decent-spec PC at home), I got a chance to use a MacBook at Uni last year when folk in some of my project groups had them. They really are a great user experience, I was very impressed. I can't stand trawling through endless lines of code on a device that isn't comfortable and responsive to use. It's the simple things like multi-touch gestures on a quality trackpad that can make all the difference.

That being said, the price is quite high and ultimately the thing which made the difference was a generous student discount and a pair of Beats free with the purchase!

Does anyone have any last minute advice before I make the purchase?

elite327

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2013
I'm going to buy my first ever Mac tomorrow after work. I'm going for the 15" MacBook Pro 2015 with 256gb SSD. I'm starting my final year at University (Comp Sci) and badly need a laptop to get work done on the go. I've also got a part-time job doing some programming work for a start-up. I wanted to wait for Skylake, but unfortunately unless it comes in the next week I can't continue to wait.

Although I've always had PC's (I have a decent-spec PC at home), I got a chance to use a MacBook at Uni last year when folk in some of my project groups had them. They really are a great user experience, I was very impressed. I can't stand trawling through endless lines of code on a device that isn't comfortable and responsive to use. It's the simple things like multi-touch gestures on a quality trackpad that can make all the difference.

That being said, the price is quite high and ultimately the thing which made the difference was a generous student discount and a pair of Beats free with the purchase!

Does anyone have any last minute advice before I make the purchase?
Let us know what you think of it, I just got a refurb 2013 15" last week and getting used to comfortable on the keyboard where I've never had a laptop. I am on the fence of going with one of the new ones still.

badpinoy

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2007
Just snagged a 2015 13" 256/16 configuration. The stock has been shifting. Something to keep an eye out if you plan on getting a MBP. This is actually cheaper than the education discount. Saves you about $140 bucks. While you may get the beats headphones by purchasing a new computer. I'd rather save the $140 bucks.

stlwx21

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
Just snagged a 2015 13" 256/16 configuration. The stock has been shifting. Something to keep an eye out if you plan on getting a MBP. This is actually cheaper than the education discount. Saves you about $140 bucks. While you may get the beats headphones by purchasing a new computer. I'd rather save the $140 bucks.

I'm glad another 256/16 showed up in the store for you! Mine should arrive today!

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Received my 15" rMBP yesterday, got the base with 512GB storage. I'm upgrading from a 2010 base model 13" MBP.

Wow, the upgrade in every facet is mind blowing

evoixdan

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2010
I'm glad another 256/16 showed up in the store for you! Mine should arrive today!

Mine showed up today as well. It's money.

Received my 15" rMBP yesterday, got the base with 512GB storage. I'm upgrading from a 2010 base model 13" MBP.

Wow, the upgrade in every facet is mind blowing

I'm coming from a 2009 27'' iMac. Needless to say I'm equally blown away because the last Apple laptop I owned was a 2007 white macbook.

marshallbedsaul

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
Utah
Finally back to a pro after 3 years., since last pro(15" high res anti glare maxed out)
-MacBook Air
-MacBook
-MacBook Air
-2 and 1 tablet junk
-MacBook air
Far to many in 3 years
-back to a base model retina pro 13" from Best Buy
Is it still simple to upgrade the ram in the pros?

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Finally back to a pro after 3 years., since last pro(15" high res anti glare maxed out)
-MacBook Air
-MacBook
-MacBook Air
-2 and 1 tablet junk
-MacBook air
Far to many in 3 years
-back to a base model retina pro 13" from Best Buy
Is it still simple to upgrade the ram in the pros?
Not user upgradeable, the RAM has been soldered in since the Retina's started in 2012 and the thinner form factor.

TeeRav19

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2015
Houston, TX
Just picked up my new 13" MBP Retina (2015) base model and I'm loving it. My previous 2009 MBP lasted up until March but was destroyed by a delicious cup of coffee unfortunately. It feels good to be a Mac user again, instead of struggling with my company issued Dell!

evoixdan

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2010
Anyone else having this issue? The internet stops working on both safari and firefox randomly. I know it's not my internet because my 2009 27'' iMac will be working.

When i noticed the issue occur the second time, I immediately went to the same websites on both my imac and my MBPr and on both safari and firefox on my MBPr, the internet would timeout but would connect to the site on my imac.

I've owned this thing for 2 days. Not amused.

JustMichal

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2015
Poland
Got my first ever OS X computer few weeks ago.
2015 13" MBPr 128/8 variant

So far it's all good (I expected lot more problems after switch from Windows). Also I've found mac versions of all development tools I use so I managed to avoid installing parallels which I expected I'll have to use before I bought it.

I didn't want to wait for Skylake refresh since Broadwell models were on sale already so I'd rather save 150EUR than have cpu faster by 5-10% and as 14nm it already has most of energy efficiency gains.

I have to say I was surprised by how competitive price on MBPr 13" is compared to Windows ultrabooks.

And it's nice how it asks you about all data that system wants to send to Apple unlike Windows 10.

Although to be fair OS X 10.10 sometimes has a little choke with waiting for response icon and boot times when restarting could be better. Maybe new version with low level API code for some apps will improve it since I'd give a tiny advantage to win 8.1 here.

redshadow

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2013
Picked up a 15'' 2.5 Ghz rMBP yesterday.

Decided waiting for skylake probably wasn't worth it, and I needed something a bit less bulky than my 17" alienware to carry around for studying.

lllfyc

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2015
decided not to wait for skylake anymore due to new models/design usually comes with higher price and I want to sell my current model out asap for better price.

and the time capsule , I think it is going to have renew soon, but new one probably comes with more hard disc space and MU-MIMO support and of course higher price. so 2013 ac model will do just fine for me.

refurb early 2015 rMBP 13" i5 2.9/ 16GB/ 512GB - about US$1695
apple care - about US$202
refurb airport time capsule 2TB - US$169

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.