Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robsan3

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2015
Not sure I did the whole disk speed test or not, images below. The new one is amazingly fast, I did not use migration assistant to set up new one and will play with more. Installs programs crazy fast...screen is better too. I'm very thankful...
2.5GHz Processor
512 GB Storage

• 2.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
  • Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz
  • 16GB 1600MHz memory
  • 512GB PCIe-based flash storage1
  • Intel Iris Pro Graphics
  • AMD Radeon R9 M370X with 2GB GDDR5 memory
  • Built-in battery (9 hours)2
  • Force Touch trackpad

View attachment 578035 View attachment 578036

I have had the same as you for a week, same results. Love it. Just tested my 1.2/512 rMB was 460/840. Big difference.

alexmarchuk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
New Jersey
I have had the same as you for a week, same results. Love it. Just tested my 1.2/512 rMB was 460/840. Big difference.

Yep, was getting the same speeds for my mid 2012. PCIe makes a huge difference.

Screen Shot 2015-08-30 at 6.21.32 PM.png

chino-rican

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Virginia
Summary: Ordered my first Mac on 8/26 and should get it by tomorrow (9/2). I used Mac Mall, which took a little longer than other retailers, but saved me about $230 in price, taxes, and rebates. 13" rMBP 2.9/8GB/512GB.

This frugal Mac newbie can't wait!

================
Long version below:

Back ordered my first Mac last week on Wednesday (8/26) through Mac Mall. Wasn't sure what to expect from this retailer. The prices were the same as Apple.com with the education discount (which I don't technically qualify for), except that I wouldn't have to pay sales tax (5.3% here) and I could get a 2% Ebates rebate. The Mac Mall site said "out of stock, usually ships in 4-5 days (8/31)." Got a call from them on Friday telling me they would ship it out on the 4th (8 business days). I call them back wanting to cancel the order so I can get it through B&H (same price, no 2% Ebate), but this time they said it would ship out on 8/31 (Monday, 4 business days). Fine, I kept the order, but I called them Monday to check the status and they pushed back the shipping date to 9/8 (10 business days) but there was still a chance it would ship out that same Monday (4 business days). Confusing, right?

I finally got an email late last night (8/31) that it had shipped and should arrive tomorrow 9/2.

Okay, so bottom line, it took about the same time they said it would take to ship (4-5 days), but the anxiety of not knowing when it would actually happen, and constantly getting conflicting shipping estimates, was a bit exhausting. In the end, it was probably worth the $230 discount. But I know other folks wouldn't want to put themselves through that! If you want to save money and don't mind waiting a bit more, go with the back order. Otherwise, just go with whoever has the lowest in-stock price.

Additionally, most folks would just get it through Apple and have piece of mind wrt returns. Call me cheap, I guess!

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Summary: Ordered my first Mac on 8/26 and should get it by tomorrow (9/2). I used Mac Mall, which took a little longer than other retailers, but saved me about $230 in price, taxes, and rebates. 13" rMBP 2.9/8GB/512GB.

This frugal Mac newbie can't wait!

================
Long version below:

Back ordered my first Mac last week on Wednesday (8/26) through Mac Mall. Wasn't sure what to expect from this retailer. The prices were the same as Apple.com with the education discount (which I don't technically qualify for), except that I wouldn't have to pay sales tax (5.3% here) and I could get a 2% Ebates rebate. The Mac Mall site said "out of stock, usually ships in 4-5 days (8/31)." Got a call from them on Friday telling me they would ship it out on the 4th (8 business days). I call them back wanting to cancel the order so I can get it through B&H (same price, no 2% Ebate), but this time they said it would ship out on 8/31 (Monday, 4 business days). Fine, I kept the order, but I called them Monday to check the status and they pushed back the shipping date to 9/8 (10 business days) but there was still a chance it would ship out that same Monday (4 business days). Confusing, right?

I finally got an email late last night (8/31) that it had shipped and should arrive tomorrow 9/2.

Okay, so bottom line, it took about the same time they said it would take to ship (4-5 days), but the anxiety of not knowing when it would actually happen, and constantly getting conflicting shipping estimates, was a bit exhausting. In the end, it was probably worth the $230 discount. But I know other folks wouldn't want to put themselves through that! If you want to save money and don't mind waiting a bit more, go with the back order. Otherwise, just go with whoever has the lowest in-stock price.

Additionally, most folks would just get it through Apple and have piece of mind wrt returns. Call me cheap, I guess!
MacMall pulled that same crap with me when I ordered my Mid 2015 MBP in June. Every day they called me with a changing story and offering a higher priced model that was available immediately. I would not buy a Mac from them again because of their behavior.

Reactions: emilioestevez

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Just ordered the base 15" MacBook Pro with the 512GB HD option, it estimates a delivery of September 14-15, does it really take THAT long to ship when you made a change to the configuration?

alexmarchuk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
New Jersey
MacMall pulled that same crap with me when I ordered my Mid 2015 MBP in June. Every day they called me with a changing story and offering a higher priced model that was available immediately. I would not buy a Mac from them again because of their behavior.

Never got any sense of MacMall being a great retailer. Their website is akin to those "bid and win for $0.01" websites.

Reactions: chino-rican

c8rlo

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2015
FL
new to the forum...
mid 2010 13" MBP, upgraded RAM(8GB) and installed 250GB SSD (Crucial BX100)

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
I have a new 15" R9 370x model sitting in an unopened box downstairs.

Was thinking the 15" could replace my GS60 and 13" rMBP. But I am having second thoughts. I barely ever have time for gaming, and even then I hate to boot into windows. So the 15" seems like it would be ideal. This choice would be easier if Apple had equipped it with a 960m. Yeah, I know people are tired of folks harping on that...

What are the odds of a Fall Skylake refresh? After waiting two years for the current one, I'd say slim eh?

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
I have a new 15" R9 370x model sitting in an unopened box downstairs.

Was thinking the 15" could replace my GS60 and 13" rMBP. But I am having second thoughts. I barely ever have time for gaming, and even then I hate to boot into windows. So the 15" seems like it would be ideal. This choice would be easier if Apple had equipped it with a 960m. Yeah, I know people are tired of folks harping on that...

What are the odds of a Fall Skylake refresh? After waiting two years for the current one, I'd say slim eh?

Fall skylake? Zero chance

Spring? 90%

If you can wait another 7-8 months then wait, I have law school now so I couldn't wait, that's the game we play with technology

Reactions: CoastalOR

dingdong

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2007
I'm personally waiting for Canonlake hence why i recently purchased rMBP 15' (mid 15). I'm not so excited regarding 'redesign' when skylake comes out to be frank. High chance of less ports and slimmer design + new macbook keyboard which isn't so pleasing for me.

Candurin

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
I really lucked out. I got a 13" 2.9ghz/8gb/512gb (MF841LL/A) for $1369 total (and AppleCare for $169) on eBay. MBP was brand new in a sealed box.

Called apple got warranty and AppleCare all set up in just a few minutes.

It's my first MacBook and I am extremely pleased with the performance and portability. Windows 10 on boot camp is also running flawlessly.

Lindberg

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
Denmark, Aarhus
I just got the MBP 15 with AMD gfx. When I click the Apple logo and go into "About this Mac" it says:
"MacBook Pro (Retina, 15", medio 2014)"

I thought the mac was updated in 2015 and this was a 2015-model according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook_Pro#Technical_specifications_3

It can be a bit more difficult to sell it later when it is a 2014-model. So I would prefer if it said medio 2015 instead.

Did i receive a old model or why is it so?

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
I'm personally waiting for Canonlake hence why i recently purchased rMBP 15' (mid 15). I'm not so excited regarding 'redesign' when skylake comes out to be frank. High chance of less ports and slimmer design + new macbook keyboard which isn't so pleasing for me.

What's special about canonlake? And do you change your laptop every other year?

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
I just got the MBP 15 with AMD gfx. When I click the Apple logo and go into "About this Mac" it says:

I thought the mac was updated in 2015 and this was a 2015-model according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook_Pro#Technical_specifications_3

It can be a bit more difficult to sell it later when it is a 2014-model. So I would prefer if it said medio 2015 instead.

can you post screenshot of the about this mac tab ?
That is weird you got the AMD gpu but it says mid 2014.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Click the System Report... button and check the Graphics/Displays section. If it lists the AMD in there then you got the right model and there is a bug on your About this Mac status. Only the new Mid 2015 15" MBP had the
AMD Radeon R9 M370X option.

chino-rican

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Virginia

Package finally received yesterday. In my situation they never tried to upsell to another model they had in stock. They were always friendly and helpful. I just realized that whenever I called them, somebody actually picked up and I was never placed on hold. I'd buy from them again, that is of course if I'm in no hurry to get the product (who am I kidding? I'm always anxious!)

Anyway, in the limited time I've played around with the MBP, I already know I made the right choice to switch from Windows. I use Win7 at work (HP and Dell laptops) and now I feel like I'm using ancient technology, but that's probably because it's actually true.

Does anybody have any recommended sites I can go to (other than Apple's) so I can learn the ropes? Guides, tutorials, tips, tricks, etc. are much appreciated!

Reactions: CoastalOR

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
Fall skylake? Zero chance

Spring? 90%

If you can wait another 7-8 months then wait, I have law school now so I couldn't wait, that's the game we play with technology

Yeah, I came to the same conclusion. I need something now - the old machines are with new owners now.

So far so good. After being on a 13" for long I feel like I am using a 17".

Great machine. I'll just enjoy it and quit my worrying.

I'm also pleased with how well the free Beats sound.

[update]

I sent the 15 rMBP R9 and beats back to apple and picked up a used 2013 rMBP with only IGP (kijiji for 1/3 the price of the new one). My gut tells me this last 15" rMBP update is the end of the road for the current chassis, that something really cool is coming in January or WWDC. After 30 years of Apple ownership, I trust my gut.

The good part of buying used is that there is no return policy (for fickle folk like me). This rMBP is pretty immaculate, so hopefully it holds up.

The Beats sound good, but after about an hour they hurt - I like to listen to tunes all day between work phone calls, so that won't do. My mutant sized mellon is the culprit, Beats are meant for daintier heads.

I'll go hang out in the other waiting for Godot thread now, if they'll have me. I do like to tease the 'wait for the next big thing people' so I am not sure how that will work now that I am one of them.

Last edited:

Youngesttim

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2012
Northern California
Just noticed the two dents on the bottom of new Mid-2015 rMBP last night, called this morning and have case # with Apple and they're going to give me a new one when I can make it to Apple Store. Likely shipping damage, maybe from power adapter... I've had a lot going on and never really visually inspected the bottom, so be sure to check!

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.