Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
And I clearly was talking about the Vega model which you replied to earlier. Lol

I was NOT replying to you with my original post about not wanting to order from a place that did not take returns. I was just posting to the thread. Not everything revolves around you. Lol.
[doublepost=1543432756][/doublepost]
If there is an issue so bad that the laptop needs to be replaced then the Apple store will replace it. I had a MBP a few years ago that I bought from B&H that had a screen issue. I took it into the Apple store and they just replaced the whole thing. Obviously you would hope to not have to do that, but you are talking about warranty issues, which aren't what the return period is for.

Well, yes and no. I have no problem dealing with Apple for warranty issues, I just do NOT want to have to deal with having a brand new purchase needing service within the first weeks, or even days, especially if it turns out to be a design defect that cannot be fixed. This T2 issue for example -- it appears to be a problem with all or some of the T2's being defective, if not poorly designed. I'm sure that there are people not experiencing any issues, BUT if you read through the 108 page thread, it's pretty clear that nothing Apple support has done thus far or suggested for the people who ARE having the issues has fixed the kernel panics and random reboots. Sometimes an exchange helped, but not always. If my brand new MBP has the problem and it appears before the end of the return period that this is a protracted issue that Apple either hasn't figured out or is unwilling yet to address (as it sometimes takes Apple months to acknowledge a problem), I want the option to return the machine and opt out of what could be a continuing daily headache until there's a fix. If there is no return period, I've not only purchased a computer, but I have allowed Apple's poor quality control to subvert my peace of mind, created an ongoing constant annoyance for myself and the stress that goes with it.

Last edited:

Kayan

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
CA
Did anyone else order a Vega 20 MBP around 11/16? I ordered mine then (through a campus bookstore), and my build is taking forever! I feel like my machine is taking much longer than others I have read online, so I'm wondering how much to get mad at the bookstore vs. it's Apple taking forever.

IdentityCrisis

Suspended
Sep 9, 2018
Umm but you did reply to me without a quote due to the context you included. Keep trying to back of what you started dude. Anyone can go back and look.

And if your laptop has an issue. Turn off the additional security and the issue goes away. Do that till Apple corrects it. Be just like a 2017 laptop before the t2 was around. A recent video here below posted shows how to do it.

I’ve known apple enough to know they won’t leave their customer high and dry with a machine that keeps having issues even if bought from a reseller.

I was NOT replying to you with my original post about not wanting to order from a place that did not take returns. I was just posting to the thread. Not everything revolves around you. Lol.
[doublepost=1543432756][/doublepost]

Well, yes and no. I have no problem dealing with Apple for warranty issues, I just do NOT want to have to deal with having a brand new purchase needing service within the first weeks, or even days, especially if it turns out to be a design defect that cannot be fixed. This T2 issue for example -- it appears to be a problem with all or some of the T2's being defective, if not poorly designed. I'm sure that there are people not experiencing any issues, BUT if you read through the 108 page thread, it's pretty clear that nothing Apple support has done thus far or suggested for the people who ARE having the issues has fixed the kernel panics and random reboots. Sometimes an exchange helped, but not always. If my brand new MBP has the problem and it appears before the end of the return period that this is a protracted issue that Apple either hasn't figured out or is unwilling yet to address (as it sometimes takes Apple months to acknowledge a problem), I want the option to return the machine and opt out of what could be a continuing daily headache until there's a fix. If there is no return period, I've not only purchased a computer, but I have allowed Apple's poor quality control to subvert my peace of mind, created an ongoing constant annoyance for myself and the stress that goes with it.
[doublepost=1543439589][/doublepost]
Did anyone else order a Vega 20 MBP around 11/16? I ordered mine then (through a campus bookstore), and my build is taking forever! I feel like my machine is taking much longer than others I have read online, so I'm wondering how much to get mad at the bookstore vs. it's Apple taking forever.
I did on the 22nd through Adorama. They are waiting on Apple to release it for dropship. They must have had a lot of orders I guesss.

SuddenlyStalin

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2018
Just got my 2018 13" macbook pro refurb in Canada (It shipped from the US though on Saturday)

Has Mojave on it in case anyone finds that intersting.

Last edited:
Reactions: applecomet007

SuddenlyStalin

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2018
Did you order as is or customized?

Im probably not understanding your question but, it was a 16GB model with 512GB SSD and the i5 processor.

But I just grabbed it off the refurb section of the Apple site.

Has two battery cycles on it (I didnt check until I had plugged it in so Im not sure if that counts as 1 cycle itself) and appears otherwise to be mint.

Came in plain white apple box that says "Apple Certified Refurbished" on the bottom in small letters.

Its Mojave 10.14 BTW so its immediately asking about updating to 10.14.1

*edit* DAYUMM, thats some nice sound coming out of the (non-crackling speakers). Little bright overall pretty darn clear and spacious sounding

Last edited:

Kayan

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
CA
Mine is still in the "build" phase even though I order it on 11/16! The campus bookstore claimed that Apple is backlogged because of the high demand recently. Lots of people besides myself apparently liked the Vega update. But I bet not all of them are getting their beast machines for free through work ;)

bbasra

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2012
I just bought the following:

Refurbished 15.4-inch MacBook Pro 2.9GHz 6-core Intel Core i9 with Retina display - Space Grey

Originally released July 2018
Touch Bar with integrated Touch ID sensor
15.4-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology; 2880x1800 native resolution at 220 pixels per inch
32GB of 2400MHz DDR4 onboard memory
2TB SSD
720p FaceTime HD Camera
Radeon Pro Graphics 560X

£3,749.00

Anything I should look out for?

Many thanks.

I've decided to return the one above and upgrade to Vega 20.

Ordered a brand new one from KRCS.

MacBook Pro 15-inch Touch Bar 2.9GHz i9 6-core 32GB/2TB Vega 20 Space Grey - £4,251.60.
Saving £472.40.

Reactions: vito

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Between the T2 chip kernel panics and random rebooting and the keyboard issues that apparently have not been totally fixed yet I think you'd have to be nuts to buy from a place that does not accept returns, especially at this time of the year, when Apple, Amazon and Best Buy are offering extended return periods well into January. Nuts.

I agree with you for 2018 model computers.

I did purchase a 2017 MacBook Pro from B&H during their cyber sale. Even if it comes with a keyboard fault, I can just take it into Apple and they will fix it for the next 4 years. The 2017 models have the T1 chip instead of the newer T2 chip so no T2 Bridge OS faults for me :).

kissmo

Cancelled
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
I was waiting for the Vega version to be released and luckily enough managed to buy a much better priced 2018 MBP without Vega.
Since I am jumping from 2015 to 2018 15 inch, I am shocked on how much it changed.
I love the butterfly keyboard, it's muffled sound and the whole machine itself is pretty darn fast and nice built.
I din't care about the TouchBar until I got it and with Better Touch tool and/or MTMR - is definitely not a gimmick for me.

Suer, the price is too steep and to protect the CPU I purchased TurboBoostDisabler for most of the time to reduce CPU high temp and the machine still runs smooth and fast enough for me.

For sure others would not agree with disabling turbo boost but I lost 1 MBP 2008, MBP 17 2011 and iMac 2011 to unsoldered GPUs.
I prefer to keep temps lower and I don't need so much power for what I do.

And yes I do have a Hackintosh Core i7 8700+Vega 64+Samsung970 and 32 GB RAM 3333... so if I need the power ... well it's there in a much better cooled machine, :)

Reactions: bbasra

Young Turk

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2002
I agree with you for 2018 model computers.

I did purchase a 2017 MacBook Pro from B&H during their cyber sale. Even if it comes with a keyboard fault, I can just take it into Apple and they will fix it for the next 4 years. The 2017 models have the T1 chip instead of the newer T2 chip so no T2 Bridge OS faults for me :).

Just ordered July 2018 13” Touchbar MBPro from the Apple Refurb store. Anyone else?

Eidekos81

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2018
I just bought Macbook 2017 15 inch. Love the screen estate and premium feel.

Coming from the 2015 Macbook 12 and 2010 MBP 13, the new ones are rocksolid.

TheRedOx

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2009
Chicago, IL
I picked up a base model 13" MBP TB on Tuesday at the Apple Store. Used store credit from GiveBack on my 9.7" iPad Pro and got a 6% discount through my employer. I'm happy with it, haven't had a MacBook in about seven years. I briefly had some second thoughts yesterday and considered returning it and getting the 256GB Air for about $400 difference. The trackpad on this MBP makes an annoying pinging sound, not sure if it's supposed to but I'm trying to get used to "tap to click" and it's kinda tough.

donawalt

Contributor
Sep 10, 2015
I'm trying to get used to "tap to click" and it's kinda tough.

You may know this but you can turn off Tap to Click in Systems Prefs/Trackpad. I have it turned off so I have to press to click. I used to be a mouse guy and hated trackpads, I got rid of all my mice about a year ago, trackpad all the way now!

Reactions: PhilMacbook and 0-0

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
You may know this but you can turn off Tap to Click in Systems Prefs/Trackpad. I have it turned off so I have to press to click. I used to be a mouse guy and hated trackpads, I got rid of all my mice about a year ago, trackpad all the way now!

I think you're really still a mouse guy on the down-low. The tap-to-click is the best part! Makes navigation/selection so fast and accurate.

IdentityCrisis

Suspended
Sep 9, 2018
Mine is still in the "build" phase even though I order it on 11/16! The campus bookstore claimed that Apple is backlogged because of the high demand recently. Lots of people besides myself apparently liked the Vega update. But I bet not all of them are getting their beast machines for free through work ;)

I ordered my MBP Friday from Apple and it just charged my card today so that usually means its shipping.
My first one I ordered through Adorama is taking 2 weeks to get to me, 1 week to build.

The build is i9, 32gb, 2tb, Vega 20.

IdentityCrisis

Suspended
Sep 9, 2018
Did you get any tracking info from Adorama?
I did on Sunday after getting into it with them on Friday. But they were supposed to cancel the order and not send me tracking. Instead they pushed it through. The tracking # still shows it hasn't moved from China and that is what it showed per the tracking info Friday. So they didn't do overnight shipping either that I paid $70 for. Per the gal today, they are supposed to refund it all to me including the shipping.
[doublepost=1543866398][/doublepost]My Apple one says preparing to ship now.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
After a 2018 15” i9 fiasco, i ordered 13” i5/16/512 and Mini i7/8/512. :) cant wait

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.