Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Eh. At that price I think the Pro is a good choice but the Air isn't really much slower than that Pro in stock config. But you do get a nicer screen and speakers at the expense of Touch ID and keyboard.

Hope you like it. I absolutely adored the 13". If it played TF2 better I'd have stuck with it versus being inane and spending so much on the 15". I think you'll be astounded how nice it is coming from an Air.

I gave a 2017 Air to my lady friend after realizing I could never go back to the old style laptops. That 13" Pro definitely feels like it fills that roll. I wouldn't be surprised if it disappears off of retail channels soon. It's too close to the new Air.

I wouldn’t be surprised either. As you said the 2018 Air and 2017 nTB MBP are really similar. I got a nTB I’m 2016 instead of an Air and I think if I were to buy today I’d still go with the MBP. The only thing the Air has that I’d really like is a Touch ID but I’d rather have the screen and extra processing power of the MBP.

yashabot

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2019
Just ordered a like-new 2017 15' MBP 16gb RAM 512gb ssd w/ a Radeon 555 with 2 years left of AppleCare+ on it for 1650 off of eBay. Battery cycle count is below 100, so I'm hoping that this laptop lasts me at least 5 years or so. I was thinking about getting a MBA or a 2018 13' MBP, but when I saw the prices that the 2017 models were going for it just seemed too good to pass up.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Eh. At that price I think the Pro is a good choice but the Air isn't really much slower than that Pro in stock config. But you do get a nicer screen and speakers at the expense of Touch ID and keyboard.

Are we talking about the same two models? 1.6GHz vs 2.3GHz seems pretty significant to me...

For me I guess it was more about the fact that my old MBA was a 1.4GHz model, it seemed pretty sluggish at this point, and paying to upgrade to a machine that's four years newer but still somehow only 1.6GHz (compared to my old 1.4), with the same SSD and RAM as my old 1.4 just didn't add up. While the Pro I bought has the same RAM/SSD, at least it has a really great screen and a significantly better processor.

I just didn't feel like I was gaining much upgrading from my 2014 MBA to the new baseline MBA. That's kind of sad... Even the baseline model should be spec'd out a little better than it is.

Last edited:

hazeydavey

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
My MacBook Air from 2012 finally bit it.

Picked up a geek squad certified MBP with 13” 128gb/8 Ram/1.5 processor for $1000 with full warranty, accessories. Etc.

Not bad as haven’t seen new below $1150-1299. Runs like a charm as my walk around the house MAC.

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
My MacBook Air from 2012 finally bit it.

Picked up a geek squad certified MBP with 13” 128gb/8 Ram/1.5 processor for $1000 with full warranty, accessories. Etc.

Not bad as haven’t seen new below $1150-1299. Runs like a charm as my walk around the house MAC.
A MBP with a 1.5 gHz processor?? Can you tell us more about that?

Aktroutbum

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2019
Just picked up a used mint 2017 MacBook Pro with a 2.9GHz i7, 512gb HDD, Radeon Pro 560 and 16gb ram for $800. Still eligible for AppleCare until July 26th 2019. Owner got himself into financial trouble felt bad but think we have all been there. Came with original box and 3 USB C dongles. Pretty stoked couldn't say no. Now if I can keep my fiancé from taking it over lol

mrt.plt

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Just picked up a used mint 2017 MacBook Pro with a 2.9GHz i7, 512gb HDD, Radeon Pro 560 and 16gb ram for $800. Still eligible for AppleCare until July 26th 2019. Owner got himself into financial trouble felt bad but think we have all been there. Came with original box and 3 USB C dongles. Pretty stoked couldn't say no. Now if I can keep my fiancé from taking it over lol
Wow, VERY good price. There is not much you can do if someone's in financial trouble and they just need the money, I wouldn't feel bad about it. If anything, you helped them get out of a bad financial state.
It's a great computer, enjoy! I would definitely recommend getting AppleCare!

Aktroutbum

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2019
Wow, VERY good price. There is not much you can do if someone's in financial trouble and they just need the money, I wouldn't feel bad about it. If anything, you helped them get out of a bad financial state.
It's a great computer, enjoy! I would definitely recommend getting AppleCare!

Im really on the fence for the AppleCare. Only needed it once after several devices. Was a major headache dealing with our local apple store. They unfortunately are not the best to deal with. Apple ended up sending me a replacement 27 inch iMac and the manager refused to get it from the back for me, said I was lying and Apple would never replace a iMac. Made me stand there for over 2 hours before finally caving in and sending someone to look. Sure enough my conformation text from apple was correct I had a brand new iMac waiting for me with my name on it. Ever since the manager has been even worse. But I have until July to decide. At least with a laptop I could just mail it in.

mrt.plt

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Im really on the fence for the AppleCare. Only needed it once after several devices. Was a major headache dealing with our local apple store. They unfortunately are not the best to deal with. Apple ended up sending me a replacement 27 inch iMac and the manager refused to get it from the back for me, said I was lying and Apple would never replace a iMac. Made me stand there for over 2 hours before finally caving in and sending someone to look. Sure enough my conformation text from apple was correct I had a brand new iMac waiting for me with my name on it. Ever since the manager has been even worse. But I have until July to decide. At least with a laptop I could just mail it in.

Fair. Although I've never had any problems with Apple Store, however, I've seen a slight decline in their overall customer service. I just like the ease of mind, these are pretty expensive computers and at least I know I can get away with a not-that-horrible bill if I were to spill coffee on my computer.

Aktroutbum

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2019
Fair. Although I've never had any problems with Apple Store, however, I've seen a slight decline in their overall customer service. I just like the ease of mind, these are pretty expensive computers and at least I know I can get away with a not-that-horrible bill if I were to spill coffee on my computer.
I think if you spill your coffee your on your own. I thought it only covers if something fails, motherboard, keyboard, display etc. AppleCare plus covers the coffee but you must purchase within 90 days. Check into your home owners or rental insurance and they usually will cover the coffee or theft. I just had my iPhone stolen last Tuesday, my AT&T insurance covered the replacement $150 deductible and my homeowners insurance covered the cost to pay off the phone luckily. Homeowners paid full retail, plus my screen protector and case was a life saver. Been on the phone since last Tuesday with apple to get it sorted. Took Apple @7 hours a day for

CYB3RBYTE

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2014
Midwest
I just got my 15" i7 2.6 GHZ 16GB RAM, and I custom ordered it with the Vega 16. Much better (it even runs cooler) and worth the money compared to the three year old rebranded 560x.

Reactions: unlogic

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
My gf just got a base model MacBook Pro. I didn't realize they still sold this model. I remember I bought this one in 2016 for the same price and had more storage.... Anyway, I feel like I'm going to be the one on this computer more than she is... since I can't afford one right now.

jeremydc

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2013
I decided to pull the trigger on a 13 inch 2018 base model (upgraded to 512 GB) along with

71+Q8cDXQ7L._AC_UL436_.jpg

71p7rrublML._SX679_.jpg

71%2BKETo0EVL._SL1500_.jpg

My first Macbook

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Just found a 2015 15/2.8/1TB/Discrete for $1,250. The downside is that it is 100 miles away and their state has a 7% sales tax. I would go for it if it didn't have the sales tax. Not that I need another 15 inch MacBook Pro but it would be fun to have.

I emailed the store and they told me that they wouldn't charge me sales tax. I called the store and they said that they would. The email was to a tech, though, and the phone call was to a receptionist. Apple is selling a certified refurb for $1,699 for 2.2/No Discrete/256 GB. I guess that Apple warranty is worth a lot.

Last edited:

MAcNIAC

Cancelled
Oct 27, 2006
I've had my refurb i9 15" MBP with 32 GB RAM and 2 TB SSD for 2 months now, and haven't had a single issue ... agree the Touch Bar is a gimmick, but otherwise love it.

Reactions: jeremydc

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
Picked up a brand new 2017 128GB MBP 13" a few days ago when Best Buy had them on sale for $999. Added an $80 Samsung T5 500GB SSD via USB-C and I couldn't be happier. It's a good little computer for writing and and surfing the Internet and light photo-editing work. For the record, I did own a 2018 MacBook Air for a week and the screen on the Air compared to the 2017 MBP screen is not even close. The MBP display is so much better. More colorful, brighter, and overall, seems crisper and clearer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Acronyc

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Picked up a brand new 2017 128GB MBP 13" a few days ago when Best Buy had them on sale for $999. Added an $80 Samsung T5 500GB SSD via USB-C and I couldn't be happier. It's a good little computer for writing and and surfing the Internet and light photo-editing work. For the record, I did own a 2018 MacBook Air for a week and the screen on the Air compared to the 2017 MBP screen is not even close. The MBP display is so much better. More colorful, brighter, and overall, seems crisper and clearer.

Congrats, it's a nice computer. I've had the 2016 version (though in 16/512 config) for almost three years now and I haven't had any problems with it yet, keyboard or otherwise. It's been a great little workhorse. Even with the new MacBook Air, I think I'd still prefer the 2017 nTB MBP over the new Air due to the better screen and the little extra oomph of processing power.

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
Tempted to pick up the 2018 MBP 13" w/ touchbar on bestbuy sale for $1399.

edit: ordered it for pickup

This is definitely making me reconsider my 15" purchase.

Is a built in GPU worth $1000 to me? Hmm.

That's a cracking good deal but it makes me wonder what is on the horizon. Are they clearing inventory so aggressively because something big is on the way?

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
This is definitely making me reconsider my 15" purchase.

Is a built in GPU worth $1000 to me? Hmm.

That's a cracking good deal but it makes me wonder what is on the horizon. Are they clearing inventory so aggressively because something big is on the way?

I thought about this. In the end, I feel if they updated the MacBook Pro today, it would still probably cost $1799 for the base model with touchbar. This is more than I wanted to spend, so there's no way I'd get a deal this good even if a new one was released today. They might discount remaining 2018s with touchbar some when a new one comes out but $400 cheaper is no guarantee.

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
I thought about this. In the end, I feel if they updated the MacBook Pro today, it would still probably cost $1799 for the base model with touchbar. This is more than I wanted to spend, so there's no way I'd get a deal this good even if a new one was released today. They might discount remaining 2018s with touchbar some when a new one comes out but $400 cheaper is no guarantee.

This is true. These discounts definitely make for a good value case. Brings the prices in line with the rest of the market anyway. That quad core 13" remains the fastest ultrabook available as I understand. Was reading sustained CPU performance above last years 15" which is really impressive. Still expensive but I think you definitely got your money's worth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.