The "I took off my Invisible Sheild!" Thread

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sukanas, Jul 21, 2009.

1. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

I really don't know what the point of this thread is except to tell everyone with a case/protection to take it off! *no pun intended

Man, everytime I see my friend's macbook pro's and reg macbooks and etc.. I'm always jelous that they have this 'free' feeling that they don't need to always keep it in a case etc... So I decided to take my invis shield off and boy, am I happy! Now I truly feel like I am using a high grade professional laptop. Honestly, cases and protecting your investment is nice, but you don't pay thousands of dollars to protect it. It's either you use it or waste it. I can understand those who want to keep their cases on and etc.. I was one of them too. But if you're thinking about buying a case, etc... don't do it!

Don't have much to say after that...

2. klee1987 macrumors regular

you should exchange it for a new one and sell it

3. Halon X macrumors regular

I've never understood those who go to such extreme measures to "protect" their laptop or who cry when they get a little scratch on them.

Apple's aluminum laptops are extremely durable. Just toss it in your bag and forget about it. No need for sleeves or invisible shielding. It will get a few scratches through it's life but nothing that will detract for it's appearance.

4. sukanas thread starter macrumors 6502a

sukanas

thats what i'm doing :)

5. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

Did it leave any sticky residue etc. on your Macbook after you took it off? I never took any of mine off before so was just curious.

6. sukanas thread starter macrumors 6502a

sukanas

Nope, no major sticky residue

Wait.. there was this little 1mm sticky thingy that stuck on.. but it came off easily, as if it was meant to be taken off. If I'm correct, I think if you're asking if it leaves like a sticky residue as if it were like a regular cheap sticker, than nope. nothing to worry about, comes off completely clean. I had mine on for 6 months too.

7. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

This reminds me of a girl I used to see all the time in university.

She had some regular old Dell laptop or something. But the protective cover that comes on it from the factory, she left it on to protect the top of the lid.

Anyways, by the end of our university career, the cover was all white and peeled up on the corners to the point barely half the cover was still sticking to the lid...

To this day I wonder why she just never took that thing off.

8. cdaugherty macrumors newbie

How excellent that you feel so free without your protection... I have mine protected with a speck shell... It gives me peace of mind and it cost me 25 bucks. I "use" my macbook every bit as much as anyone else and am enjoying my own experience with it.

I think it just boils down to what you like... Just like the glossy/matte debate... Nothing wrong with either option just get what you want and use it.

Now if I were to post something like I have encased my macbook and just like to look at it, that might be looked upon a little odly.

9. Snowbound macrumors regular

As someone who likes to resell their laptop every couple years, having a case on it and keeping it pristine is important. Big scratches, while I don't mind, drop the resale value a lot.

10. Some Guy 555 macrumors regular

You can take it off and get a new invisible shield? DAMN, I am so doing this.

I got my invisible shield a few months ago and I put it on (was hard as hell and just didn't look or feel right to me). I took it off after a week of not liking the feel/look. I decided that I will protect this laptop like a baby and therefore no protection is necessary.

So I just claim that lifetime warranty with Zagg and pay the shipping/handling ($6) then sell it? Genius.

11. pmcb macrumors member

my parents are like that, all the original stickers and crap on our camcorders, dvd player, tv, all that. my mom gave me a phone then yelled at me after i peeled the little thing off that protects the screen. lol just get over it and enjoy it.

12. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

I hate it when people do that. I know someone who had a cell phone for several years, still with the ugly blue protective cover on it.

13. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

I can't stand that ****. My laptops might get scratched and all, but they still tend to look better than that of my friends even when they use protective covers.

Go figure!

14. jaltamirano macrumors regular

im actually thinking about getting my umbp done, but im not sure if id like the glossy look with the shield on.

And personally, i love that they have this, i had all my iPhone's done and when it comes to selling it buyers are always suprised that it looks brand spanking new. :cool:

15. theJamie macrumors member

Goin' naked... most of the time.

I don't want to damage my uMBP 17 or my iPod Touch, so I have sleeves for both when I put them in bags. But, I DON'T want any skins or shells on them only because of the added bulk. It's aluminum not plastic. If I had plastic, it'd be a different story. But, after the first scratch you get over it.

16. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

i still thinking to took off my invisible shield. :(

17. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+904380453

My coworkers iPhone looks like a nightmare. Not only is there a thick back case but a horrid looking mirrored stick on cover on the front that messes with the colors and makes it feel like your looking through 3D glasses without the effect. All just to "protect" it? ick. No thanks.

18. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I remember when 2 of my friends and I all had the iPod touch 1G. One guy had the 32GB model and like 100 songs to put on there. The other guy had the 8GB model like me. Both of my friends spent upwards of $30 to buy cases, screen protectors, back protectors, etc. They both dropped it and had huge dents in them. I didn't buy anything for mine, and it looked better than either of theirs. Their iPods were so ugly, they both suck at attaching screen films so huge blotchy bubbles were everywhere. And it look horrid with cheap, fat cases on them.

Oh yea, and my other friend basically defines OCD. He uses this sticky silicon case that covers everything and a screen protector which he changes every few days. And if there's a speck of dust, he will like peel off the screen protector and put a new one on there. And to top it all off, he puts his silicon wrapped iPod in that plastic box that comes with iPod touches.

19. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

I just took mine OFF.

After waiting for it to arrive for the latest MBP, I ordered and installed it. The installation was really a major pain in the ass, and it probably didn't help that my goal was 0.0% error. I was extremely careful and methodical in my approach, but I still got a lot of air bubbles and misalignment. The top of the lid was just about perfect, the bottom was "acceptable," but the area around the keyboard was awful. It was almost as if the skin wasn't cut to exact spec. I was hoping for edge to edge coverage, but in the end it was hanging off.

ZAGG says to let the skin sit for a couple of days so the air bubbles will subside and shrink to fit. I didn't think that tag-line would work, but the bubbles did die down. However, the skin itself still did not shrink to size. I decided the keyboard area, the area I will be looking at and touching the most, really was an eyesore and I took it all off.

The only place it left residue was around my keyboard, and I suspect that is because I did not use the spray as liberally as the other parts of the computer. I Googled some removal tips and nail polish remover (acetone) was suggested to clean sticky stuff. It was said to be safe for the aluminum finish, and after a couple of days I concur. But it doesn't get it all off completely, and I've had the best success rubbing my fingers along the reside and taking it off in VERY small pieces.

Does anyone know of a good/safe way to remove the adhesives? I'm thinking about using an automotive adhesive remover or one of those bug and tar removers, but I have a feeling it would be too strong. I would also think that "Goof-Off" and other similar paint removers would be way too powerful.

20. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

I got the best skins ever for my ipod touch, nano and my phone. They look good for a few weeks then start to peel and get dirty in the corners. I just have a sleeve for my MBP and thats all.

21. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

Bingo! That is why mine is on it, prefect mbp on ebay in a few years will be better.

22. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I have an invisibleshield on my iPhone 3GS and have the same problem...its looks like shet. On my uMBP, its not a problem though. It looks great actually.

23. hugorganista macrumors member

hugorganista

I have been deciding wether or not to protect my MBP aluminum with all that crap. But after reading this, I guess I'll just leave it.

24. poolish macrumors regular

yeah, why make your laptop look **** to protect its looks? well unless you want to sell it. i'd rather personalise it, ive sanded mine, spray painted, stickered, drawn on it.. same with my black iphone, no case, sanded the back now it has a sweet matte look. looks way better than my friends ones. no sticky finger marks. **** keeping things looking new.

25. adamk77 macrumors 6502

LOL exactly.

I had a cover + screen covering my iPhone. It's completely naked now. No protection what so ever.

People do get carried away a bit with the protective gear. I initially baby my toys, but soon thereafter, I really don't care anymore.