The Iconic iMac G4

swamprock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
There seems to be no end to glossy videos by pro Youtubers going through the history and specs and filming under sympathetic studio lighting...not so much of anyone actually doing anything with them....
All style, no substance. Giant pickup trucks with big, "aggressive" grills. I feel it's because many people worship this aspect of objects these days, and that's what gets the ad views. People judge everything by their eyes; music, vehicles, etc. It's a mediocre mentality.

Truth be told, even though the iMac G4 is a pretty neatly engineered machine, it has some pretty big shortcomings, even in it's maxed-out capacity. I barely use mine since my other machines do the same jobs it can do, but much faster.

RhianB

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2016
505 USA
Well to be fair, the one guy was building a modded 2.0ghz imacg4 out of his & the others pulled them out for occasional gaming & juke duties after pulling family desktop duty amongst other things. The graphic design dude plays around with projects on appropriate era software with his & hosts nerdy retro gaming OG lan fun.

Seems like plenty of realistic use to me from some toobers that dig imacg4s.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dronecatcher

swamprock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Well to be fair, the one guy was building a modded 2.0ghz imacg4 out of his & the others pulled them out for occasional gaming & juke duties after pulling family desktop duty amongst other things. The graphic design dude plays around with projects on appropriate era software with his & OG lan fun.

Seems like plenty of realistic use to me from some toobers that dig imacg4s.
Greg and his ilk are a great bunch of guys, and push these old machines further than they've ever gone before, which is great. I really enjoy their videos. This video isn't all that bad, and is a little less nerdy than the kind of stuff that we all tend to gravitate towards. Wayne does have a point, though. Most PowerPC Mac videos basically talk about how worthless they are in this day and age, but goddamn, they sure are purdy! That stuff gets really annoying since it's far from true...

RhianB

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2016
505 USA
Greg and his ilk are a great bunch of guys, and push these old machines further than they've ever gone before, which is great. I really enjoy their videos. This video isn't all that bad, and is a little less nerdy than the kind of stuff that we all tend to gravitate towards. Wayne does have a point, though. Most PowerPC Mac videos basically talk about how worthless they are in this day and age, but goddamn, they sure are purdy! That stuff gets really annoying since it's far from true...
To Be sure his sentiment wasn’t lost on me. Take pretty video with a camera that’s 10x the value of the ppc whatever & then proceed to talk about how much it blows lol.

Whatevs. It is what it is. We know very well the limitations of these machines so it’s kind of a moot point. We can flip it and consider these videos a type of public service in that it potentially keeps unknowing folks from paying too much for one
& then wondering why YT blows chunks.

Oh well, I gotta get to work. Ttygl :)

Reactions: MagicBoy

timidpimpin

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
While I have always respected the engineering involved in the iMac G4... I have never liked the look much. IMO it's fugly.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 68040
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I just get the feeling these kind of videos promote wannabe retro nerds rushing out and buying the featured Macs because they're "kinda cool"...photographing them for Reddit then leaving them on a shelf to gather dust.
Happens when any retro tech is featured on trending channels...secondhand market goes crazy...genuine enthusiasts sidelined.

Last edited:

RhianB

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2016
505 USA
That’s a very narrow & self serving POV IMO. These computers are not the dominion of the real vs fake enthusiast defined by some vague perceived red line. I don’t get that ideology. Heck, out of the tech circles I frequent, I by far am the least resourceful - the guy who isn’t doing enough with their macs because Yanno, my g4imac is actually sitting on my shelf collecting dust ATM.

I didn’t see much in the video (except the goofy look at me I’m taking space up in a hotel lobby idiot manboy) that really fit the label or trend of hipster toober goes ppc.

My opinion. Everyone has the right to participate or not in the same way open markets freely ebb & flow. It’s this very conservatism that makes our ppc macs affordable & at some point appreciate(or not). Anyhow, fun video.

Reactions: bunnspecial

mmphosis

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2017
Flobble-dee-flee! In my day, we typed in op codes using the 256 byte monitor ROM. Life was simpler then, none of these fancy DVD burners and floppy disks, when we turned off the circuit board all of the codes went away. Life was a carnival, when we turned the circuit board back on, we had to type in all the op codes again from memory IIRC, that's the way it was and we liked it!

Get off of my lawn! I mean please be kind.

It is interesting the notion of the "digital hub" which is not a term I would use. But here I am avoiding "the cloud" (storage on a server on the internet) and instead saving media to local spinning disks. I also shun "social media", but here I am on macrumors typing my thoughts about PowerPC Macs, and watching a youtube video from someone's "channel." I remember when we only had one channel, it was fuzzy, black and white, and the ...

I liked his old AOL joke.

Some of the comments about something completely different from the developer of TenFourFox are maybe not always "well informed." Again, please be kind -- especially because I want to be friends with people who have so many PowerPC Macs. ;)

Dronecatcher

macrumors 68040
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
In my day, we typed in op codes using the 256 byte monitor ROM. Life was simpler then, none of these fancy DVD burners and floppy disks, when we turned off the circuit board all of the codes went away. Life was a carnival, when we turned the circuit board back on, we had to type in all the op codes again from memory IIRC, that's the way it was and we liked it!
False equivalency.

Reactions: mmphosis

swamprock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Flobble-dee-flee! In my day, we typed in op codes using the 256 byte monitor ROM. Life was simpler then, none of these fancy DVD burners and floppy disks, when we turned off the circuit board all of the codes went away. Life was a carnival, when we turned the circuit board back on, we had to type in all the op codes again from memory IIRC, that's the way it was and we liked it!

Get off of my lawn! I mean please be kind.

It is interesting the notion of the "digital hub" which is not a term I would use. But here I am avoiding "the cloud" (storage on a server on the internet) and instead saving media to local spinning disks. I also shun "social media", but here I am on macrumors typing my thoughts about PowerPC Macs, and watching a youtube video from someone's "channel." I remember when we only had one channel, it was fuzzy, black and white, and the ...

I liked his old AOL joke.

Some of the comments about something completely different from the developer of TenFourFox are maybe not always "well informed." Again, please be kind -- especially because I want to be friends with people who have so many PowerPC Macs. ;)
What? You didn't build a homemade paper tape puncher to save your code? ;P

You'd get a kick out of this- http://www.jmargolin.com/vmail/vmail.htm

Reactions: mmphosis

swamprock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Free market capitalism is exactly why old powerpc macs are affordable. You can acknowledge & accept this or not.
This is why I learned patience (well, old age has something to do with it as well). Although I might not be able to have that 17" Powerbook G4 that I've always wanted right now, I will own one in the condition I want it in, and at a great price. It might take a few years, but it'll happen. Every Mac that I've collected over the past few years has been a result of that patience, and I've never had to pay, what I consider, an outrageous price for any of them.

(still waiting for older Macbook Air prices to drop to some semblance of sanity as well. I'm still in awe of their resale value, even going back to 2010 models...)

timidpimpin

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
I certainly agree with @Dronecatcher about most of these newer vids never really show them doing anything with the machine. And the more they do it, the more of a trend they make. And that drives up the price.

For me... I would never buy a computer if I didn't intend to use it consistently. Otherwise it's just taking up space, and I like space. The main trend though is the general retro tech fad that's been around for a few years. It's driving up the price of a lot of stuff.

At my age I really have no time for trends. I know what I like, and stick to that.

RhianB

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2016
505 USA
I certainly agree with @Dronecatcher about most of these newer vids never really show them doing anything with the machine. And the more they do it, the more of a trend they make. And that drives up the price.

For me... I would never buy a computer if I didn't intend to use it consistently. Otherwise it's just taking up space, and I like space. The main trend though is the general retro tech fad that's been around for a few years. It's driving up the price of a lot of stuff.

At my age I really have no time for trends. I know what I like, and stick to that.

To make such a claim, I think it’s important be able to quantify it which no one has. I however, just a few weeks back bought a fully functioning 12” powerbook & retail copy of tiger for $22 USD on eBay, so again I don’t see this purported increase in price nor do I get the elitist ideology behind it. It’s a stretch at best.

Without anything concrete to illustrate the point of pro toobers driving up prices other than some eBay ads with overpriced BINs or some toobers rubbing your sentiments the wrong way, making such assertions just comes off like some weenie hipster whining from their safe space about how sellers aren't playing fair. Oh the micro aggressions!

LOL

To play nicely, let’s assume consistent demand is there & prices are on a uptick. Isn’t it more likely that price increases are due to scarcity of a dwindling & increasingly fragile population of old computers, parts & peripherals vs blaming some toobers making glitzy vids about ppc inadequacies in 20XX? That doesn’t compute - hey guys, these old ppcs suck for just about everything these days- let’s go buy them all!!

BTW please don’t take this as an attack- it’s not. Don’t hug those feelies too tightly now :) We’re all ppc buds here. Just one guy’s opinion.

Last edited:

RhianB

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2016
505 USA
This is why I learned patience (well, old age has something to do with it as well). Although I might not be able to have that 17" Powerbook G4 that I've always wanted right now, I will own one in the condition I want it in, and at a great price. It might take a few years, but it'll happen. Every Mac that I've collected over the past few years has been a result of that patience, and I've never had to pay, what I consider, an outrageous price for any of them.

(still waiting for older Macbook Air prices to drop to some semblance of sanity as well. I'm still in awe of their resale value, even going back to 2010 models...)
This.

timidpimpin

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
Can't say I've ever been called a "weenie hipster". As I'm not, and I certainly don't have or need a safe space. And the drama you're bringing to this is way way above the level @Dronecatcher or I are making our points with. It would seem that you're the one whose sensibilities have been upset.

Most any of us trust our personal experience as reality, as it is reality for us. But the true culprit for overpriced auctions on ebay is ebay themselves. They allow sellers to ask whatever they want for things. IMO they should allow for 2x the market value and stop there.

And this isn't just a recent trend, and it isn't just on ebay also. I have seen iMac G4's for $2000-3000 on craigslist back in 2015 or so.

Also... I never claimed that there wern't good deals anymore. Just that there are a lot more overpriced options.

Reactions: Dronecatcher

d-oost

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2016
Most any of us trust our personal experience as reality, as it is reality for us. But the true culprit for overpriced auctions on ebay is ebay themselves. They allow sellers to ask whatever they want for things. IMO they should allow for 2x the market value and stop there.
Well, good thing you don't work for eBay then. It's a free market economy, anyone can ask what they want, and anyone else can accept or reject it. Why should eBay interfere with that? It makes no sense.

PowerPC Macs are not basic needs like food, water and medicine, you can do fine without them, there is no need for PPC regulation, neither officially or just from eBay :confused:

bunnspecial

macrumors 604
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I guess according to @timidpimpin I'm doing the hobby a dis-service when I have computers to fill out a set or complete a collection when they haven't been turned on in a year. They serve a purpose, even if they aren't doing anything now.

I didn't know he had the power to do what I was "allowed" to do with my computers. I'll start asking for permission here before I buy something.

BTW, who exactly determines what a "fair" price for something is? I've paid what some see as nutty prices before because it was a rare variant that I'd had never seen offered before, or otherwise only seen at much higher prices prior.

So, who is the ultimate arbitrator of prices? Is it @timidpimtim ? If so, I guess I should consult with him before I decide to sell something to make sure I'm not selling it for what he sees as a too high of a price.