The, "I'm waiting for the REAL 13 inch MBP" thread.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Richard1028, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

The removal of the Optical Disk Drive would've opened up so many possibilities. Two if which I demand:

- discrete GPU (which would get us the same display as the Air).

- A larger battery. Going from 10 to 7 hours is mind boggling. (Yeah, I know it's a different test now but that only means somebody has been lying before).

The new MBP13 is obviously just the refresh to get out of C2D land. Now Apple can go back to iOS, iPad, iPhone and Lion development.

It's also clear that Apple didn't want to retool their unibody suppliers this time around - some piss-poor planning on somebody's part. It's not like they didn't have the time.

I could give a rat's ass about Thunderpants. I have no idea what to do with it anyway. (But rest assured I'll need to buy more freaking mini-display adapters).

I would even understand a token price hike if they fixed the display resolution and put in a "real" GPU.

I just hope I live long enough to see it.

2. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

Yeah it's a bummer - they could've easily added the 6490M to the 13" and people would've been joyful.

Either way, I'm waiting until 2012 - I just can't get myself to buy these new MBP's with their optical drives. That medium is dead to me, DVD's included.

3. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Its obvious you have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!!!

Apple's piss poor planning has resulted in them becoming one of the most successful companies in the world. What have you done?

4. JefferyShin macrumors regular

JefferyShin

It's too early for a removal of the optical drive.

The world is still very much revolving around CDs, and Apple removing it, although it might make some users (like you) happy, to the common general audience, will be too drastic of a change.

5. Yin macrumors member

usually i disagree with you :) but you couldn't be more right here. the current 13" is a shame and a disgrace...

6. copykris Suspended

copykris

ahahahahahaha

7. lesyork macrumors member

TB is compatible with existing Apple adapters.

Silver lining, and all that...

8. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I don't understand the complaining.

Yeah, it's not that big of an update, but honestly it's hard to imagine a better laptop at the moment. I personally think Thunderbolt is one of the best cable medium inventions around.

I also wish there were no disc drives. Physical disc mediums are in my mind outdated. Everything should be delivered through "streaming" or downloads.

With today's update, they are just making an already excellent product a little better.

On to the new iPad and iMacs!

9. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Just keep waiting... You'll spend the rest of your days making these threads and never end up buying one.

10. LoganT macrumors 68020

I think I might make a thread that says,

"The, "I'm buying the 2011 13" MBP because I sold my 2010 13" MBP and I don't have a computer. I'll also probably sell the 2011 13" MBP and get a 2012 13" MBP, if it's redesigned."

Is that too long?

11. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

Do you have any data to back that up with?
    Last I read music sales, physical CD copies, where plummeting to their death rather rapidly - while digital sales, like iTunes, where growing.
    http://gizmodo.com/#!5544537/itunes-accounts-for-over-26-of-us-music-sales

Besides music - what is the advantage of having a portable optical drive? Digital media is dominating. I can't remember the last time I burned a CD, installed software that wasn't available as a download, or use that optical drive in any manner - it's a dead technology.

However, I do have high hopes that Apple will redesign these MBP's towards the end of fall/beginning of winter of this year - and discontinue the optical drives on their portable line. This was a mere refresh to get Thunderbolt going and include new CPU/GPU's to keep up with competition.

12. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

Apple is keeping the optical drive in the MBP to boost MBA sales.

They could have easily removed the optical drive with little to no impact on sales.

13. LoganT macrumors 68020

I really don't think the lack of an optical drive is why people are buying Macbook Airs.

14. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

Lol does it turn you guys on defending apple or something?

15. WantFirstOne, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011

WantFirstOne macrumors newbie

please, no more optical drive

Well they buy the Airs because of the extremely thin and light form factor, which is made possible by the removal of the optical drive.

I think it is obvious that the optical drive is largely useless for the very large majority of the users dropping a 1000 plus on a laptop (this was true three years ago actually). My theory is that Apple does not want to drop them yet on the 13 MBP because it would 1) then compete too much with the air and 2) because it would increase expectations about what should be included instead, lots of which would be more expensive for Apple to introduce than sticking with the optical drive.

Internal 3g/4g and better graphics are couple examples of things that can actually make a big positive difference to the experience, while an optical drive just makes the things heavier than needed. It is a bit sad that they are including a technology that is actually experienced as a draw back!

16. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I concur, people still need the optical drive on the go. Not everyone uses it on a daily basis, but it's convient still :D

lol.

I plan to do the same. I call it Mac recycle. :D

17. Richard1028 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ack! Not this crap again.

Nobody is saying to make optical media illegal. I don't want it banned. You can still use it to your heart's content. Just get a cheap external and get this antiquated space-sucking component off my mac to make room for something I (and everyone else) would use every freaking day. (Like a semi kick-ass GPU, another HD bay, or 2 more hours of battery life even).

Let the internal ODD die already.

Then it's unanaim… unanymo… unananimyo…

Everybody agrees!

Really? That I did not know. Oh joy… now I use my current display adapter for my external monitor… oh wait, I can already do that.

Better yet, I can now buy a pricey Cinema Display and get more TB ports that hook into nothing.

My cup is half full today.