'The Incident' to Turn Paired iPad and iPhone Into TV-Focused Gaming System

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 10, 2010.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In a blog post yesterday, Big Bucket Software revealed that a forthcoming update to its retro iOS game The Incident will allow the iPad to output the game display to a television while also allowing an iPhone or iPod touch to serve as a game controller.
    There are a couple of interesting aspects to this forthcoming release, with TV output capability being one of the key ones. While other applications have allowed users to connect their iPads to their televisions via 30-pin Dock to VGA or Component cables, The Incident's developers took the extra step of tweaking the artwork and user interface to properly display on the aspect ratio of a widescreen television, which differs from that of the iPad. The extra step offers users a more natural feeling console gaming experience on their televisions.

The second key feature is the iPhone controller mode, which is already available in Version 1.2 of The Incident. The developers have ensured that everything can be controlled by the iPhone, eliminating the need for any input on the iPad and allowing it to serve simply as a game console connected to the television while the user controls everything wirelessly from their couch using the paired iPhone.
    There is no word yet on a release date for the TV-capable update to The Incident, but the developers have been moving very quickly with updates to the game and will likely be pressing forward to have it in the App Store as soon as possible.

Article Link: 'The Incident' to Turn Paired iPad and iPhone Into TV-Focused Gaming System

2. harley3k macrumors 6502

harley3k

So for about $1000 I can play crappy games on my TV.
    Awesome.

3. Skika macrumors 68030

Hey thats an great idea, but i think the iphone is not a good controler becouse you are not looking where the buttons are(which is not a problem when you play a game on the iPhone itself because you are looking at the screen anyway), no tactile response. It even shows on the demo he only used the iPhone's accelerometer to control the game. It would be awesome to pair the PS3 controler or to the ipad because it uses bluetooth technology.

THAT WOULD BE A WHOLE ANOTHER SHOW :cool:

4. shartypants macrumors 6502a

shartypants

Its cool to see new ways of using iOS devices!

5. anrima macrumors newbie

No HTML5 content boo.

Why do people still post Flash ****?

6. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

sounds like something better suited for an appletv than an ipad.

7. uraniumwilly macrumors 6502

That deserves a "wow."

For MacRumors, that was my first "wow."

Feel free to carry on.

8. iWonderwhy macrumors 6502

iWonderwhy

Among many other things..

9. aristotle macrumors 68000

aristotle

A thousand dollars? What country do you live in? I bought the top of the line 64bit 3G iPad up here in Canada and it did not cost anywhere near that amount. You can always buy cheaper models without 3G and with lower storage.

This will be great for people who have an iPad and either an iPhone or iPod Touch to play the game on the TV in their hotel room with just the composite video cables.

10. Skika macrumors 68030

But you need both the iPad and the iPhone.

Lol at 64bit iPad. I know what you meant but still.

11. phillipduran macrumors 65816

phillipduran

No. This will just be one more thing that can be done with an iPhone and iPad.

If you only bought an iPad and iPhone to do this. . . well that would be awesome:rolleyes:

12. ilogic macrumors regular

Not that big a deal, this is coming to Lion App Store

13. RickMacMerc macrumors newbie

RickMacMerc

This chucky-pixelled game keeps getting played on bigger and bigger screens. I have to admit, I kinda dig it. :D

14. paradox00 macrumors 65816

It's only a matter of time until Apple TV properly supports apps such as these. I'd consider the iPad interaction to be a proof of concept.

15. fpnc macrumors 68000

This (TV-focused gaming technology) looks like a minor evolution over a game like Chopper 2 which already does TV out and allows you to use another iOS device as the controller. I'm not trying to compare the games themselves (since one may be great while the other is trash -- YMMV), but is this new version of 'The Incident' really that news worthy (okay, I get it, they've tweaked some things)?

16. bretm macrumors 68000

Plays just fine on 3GS. You probably have a 3G which doesn't play all the formats a 3GS does.

17. byulasfjazz macrumors regular

byulasfjazz

yadda yadda yadda

WOW this is AMAZING!!!

except this was done a LONG time ago...

look up CHOPPER 2

Been using my iphone for a controller ON MY TV for a few months now

o news here

18. Gasu E. macrumors 601

Gasu E.

I bought a car recently. For $25K, I can now go to the supermarket. :rolleyes:

19. x13gamer macrumors regular

x13gamer

Really? I posted this idea on macrumors forums like 2 years ago except you connected to your apple tv.

20. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

The Incident

Isn't "The Incident" the name of someone on Jersey Shore?

21. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

Wish there was a way to play games with iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch through the new Apple TV

22. 47u2caryj macrumors newbie

Nintendo

This reminds me of sitting in front of my Nintendo twenty years ago.
    ~$1000 isn't that far fetched when you include the cost of the phone.
    Interesting adaptation though.

23. 0098386 Suspended

There are some really fun iOS games but I don't think I've ever had the urge to play them on a big TV. Just seems quite silly to me. Though it does look inventive and they probably had a lot of fun doing it.

There's nothing on there as fun as say, what a Wii could do with New Mario, Metroid etc (just picking the cheapest console available).

24. JAT macrumors 603

Fool! I only spent $21K, and I can go to the supermarket, too. With a passenger!

25. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Airplay... Just skip the ipad all together and wirelessly stream your game to your big screen tv while using the iPhone as a controller.