Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sgtaylor5

Contributor
Original poster
Aug 6, 2017
Cheney, WA, USA
Where's a good border collie when you need him? :)

There needs to be a series of master crossposted sticky threads, per subject, listing all of the articles so that perhaps new posters won't keep recreating them.

Open for discussion on this regarding implementation.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2021
I honestly think after a period of time those phrases need to be banned ha. When creating a thread it literally gives you suggestions about what else is similar to your topic and people are just ignoring it.

People think their situation hasn’t been discussed a dozen times but I can almost guarantee you can find something on the internet where it has. Ban it all!

Reactions: sgtaylor5

MysticCow

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2013
We have the exact kind of sticky you're thinking about in the PowerPC and Early Intel forums. It wouldn't be THAT hard to make a sticky for, say, the Apple Silicon forum, or any of the system forums.

saudor

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2011
same with the following keywords!

*stage manager*
Downloading now
update is %size% gb for me
not/showing up in %country%
updated on my %devicemodel%
battery life

maflynn

Moderator emeritus
May 3, 2009
You forgot: "It's snappier!"
That comment and some others fall in the frivolous/meme posting that is not permitted here
Frivolous posts. Posts with that contain no relevant or constructive commentary. This includes one- or two-word posts such as "cool", "LOL", "I agree", "+1", "this", "me too", "no way", other equivalent comments of any length, posts consisting only of smilies or overused memes, posts about being the first post in a thread, posts about your lack of interest in the thread (ignore the thread instead), and posts with irrelevant images or videos, especially those without text. If your post will add nothing to a discussion, don't post it.

Reactions: annk

maflynn

Moderator emeritus
May 3, 2009
Can I add "do your research" to the list?
Context is everything, but if a member is requesting someone to cite their source for a statement of fact and they get that comment back - that's a violation of the rules and you should report the post.

Additionally, telling people to google something (or do their own research) without really helping them is also not permitted as well

When in doubt, report the post and the moderation team will take a look.

Reactions: annk

MacGizmo

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Context is everything, but if a member is requesting someone to cite their source for a statement of fact and they get that comment back - that's a violation of the rules and you should report the post.

Additionally, telling people to google something (or do their own research) without really helping them is also not permitted as well

It's more of a situation where the thread is, at it's core, an opinion post.

For example; "which is better for photo editing, this app or that?" A few people will offer options and mention some technological points like whether or not the app uses the GPU. Inevitably, some doofus comes in and spouts off about this gobelty-goop and that and how people "need to do their research."

The offending person is almost always either wrong, or not entirely right; it doesn't really matter, but someone else will almost certainly call them out and tell THEM to "do THEIR research."

"Do your research" seems to be the term of choice for people who simply have a differing opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: rpmurray

sgtaylor5

Contributor
Original poster
Aug 6, 2017
Cheney, WA, USA

Thanks, I learned something today.

Do moderators have better forum search capability than users have access to?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.