Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 28, 2015
Is it, that VGA-out plainly doesn't work with the ADC-DVI-Connector at all or that I just didn't have the right adapter
All adapters in your picture are passive adapters and will not work for VGA-to-DVI conversion. They only work for DVI-to-VGA - and that's only because the DVI-A ("Analog") and DVI-I ("Integrated"?) connectors also carry the VGA signal. DVI-A only carries VGA; DVI-I carries both DVI and VGA. These adapters simply connect the existing analog pins from the DVI-A/-I connector to a female VGA connector. They don't convert the signal.
1639569751910.png

Those four pins at the right of the DVI-A and DVI-I connectors (which look like a square) carry the VGA signal. DVI-D ("Digital") does not have these pins. The Apple DVI-to-ADC adapter’s DVI-D connector doesn’t have the analog pins either.

=> You need a device that actively converts the signal. The Matrox DualHead2Go worked for me. Give that a try. :)

Funny thing is, that the display shows up in the control-stripe of os9 on an early TiBook (first 'Mercury'-TiBook with only VGA-out), but the display stays dark.
The adapters, while not passing through the actual video signal in your case, still pass through the Display Data Channel (DDC) pins - which allows the computer to identify the display even though it can't actually show anything. Sounds strange, but that's how it works :)

Last edited:
Reactions: bobesch

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
All adapters in your picture are passive adapters and will not work for VGA-to-DVI conversion. They only work for DVI-to-VGA - and that's only because the DVI-A ("Analog") and DVI-I ("Integrated"?) connectors also carry the VGA signal. DVI-A only carries VGA; DVI-I carries both DVI and VGA. These adapters simply connect the existing analog pins from the DVI-A/-I connector to a female VGA connector. They don't convert the signal.
View attachment 1928836
Those four pins at the right of the DVI-A and DVI-I connectors (which look like a square) carry the VGA signal. DVI-D ("Digital") does not have these pins. The Apple DVI-to-ADC adapter’s DVI-D connector doesn’t have the analog pins either.

=> You need a device that actively converts the signal. The Matrox DualHead2Go worked for me. Give that a try. :)

The adapters, while not passing through the actual video signal in your case, still pass through the Display Data Channel (DDC) pins - which allows the computer to identify the display even though it can't actually show anything. Sounds strange, but that's how it works :)
Many thanx! Great advise and overview!!!
Now I understand: VGA-out sends only an analog signal - the ADC-DVI-converter needs a digital video-signal for input.
Did Apple sell any acrylic flat-panel StudioDisplay with VGA-cable at all to match the Cube-G4's primary Acrylic flat-panel StudioDisplay with ADC-cable? Or is the Cube's VGA out only kind of emergency exit?

Reactions: Amethyst1

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 28, 2015
Did Apple sell any acrylic flat-panel StudioDisplay with VGA-cable at all to match the Cube-G4's primary Acrylic flat-panel StudioDisplay with ADC-cable?
Nope. :(
If your Cube has the Rage 128 Pro, it can’t run two independent monitors.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 28, 2015
  • Added two DVI<-->ADC adapters by New Motion.
  • Added a column for the actual LCD panels used in ADC LCDs including links to their datasheets (if known/available).

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 28, 2015
Any one know whether the LCD panel LG.Philips LM220W1-A2MN for Apple Cinema ADC 22" has a replacement model?
Panelook only lists the LM220W1-B2MN as possible replacement. The 25:16 aspect ratio was pretty much a one-off.

Updates to the WikiPost on February 2nd, 2024:
  • Added an "OS 9" column for GPUs, indicating full driver support including 3D acceleration etc.
  • The ATI Rage 128 Pro ADC might work in Mac OS 8.6 like the earlier DVI version does. In the Sawtooth, ADC only works as a DVI port using an adapter. No power, no USB.
  • Added more info on ATI Rage 128 Pro and NVIDIA GeForce2 MX.
  • Added info on whether both outputs can be active at the same time and show two different images (dual-head).

Last edited:
Reactions: LightBulbFun
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.