The ipad 4: The least hyped Apple product in recent memory.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jacoblee23, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Jacoblee23, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012

Jacoblee23 macrumors 6502a

That's what happens when you release a device that is similar to the one, that you released just a few months before. I do however see ipad 2 owners upgrading for the amazing retina screen.

Has anyone else noticed the lack of hype for the ipad 4? I personally cannot wait for the mini to compliment my ipad 3 :). Congrats to all of the ipad/ipad 2 owners upgrading to the 4. Retina truly is outstanding.

2. Baytriple macrumors 6502

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHIw9pyfCuU&feature=g-u-u

3. richardmu macrumors 6502a

I will stick with my iPad 2. Returned the 3 as I couldn't see the big difference with the retina screen. The 2 is the best Apple tablet so far in my opinion. The 3 was a bit of a hash up!

I would probably have upgraded to the 4 if it had been thinner and lighter, the usual things that Apple do with all their upgrades. A good spec upgrade but still clunkier than the 2.

4. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The ipad 5 my friend, SHOULD be a re-design and look similar to the iPhone 5/ipad mini.

5. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Should have gone to Specsavers.

Seriously though, it's night and day.

6. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Ya I had the 1st, 2nd and now have the 3rd. I'm getting a mini but waiting for the 5th gen iPad for the redesign. I'm a sucker for chamfered edges. ;)

7. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ditto.

8. stuaz macrumors 6502

Why is there a need for hype? its just a spec upgrade really - would be like Ford putting a new Engine in a truck - not actually worth making the hype?

9. mac jones macrumors 68040

I'm struggling still with the "least most" Part. I'll get back to you.

10. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

Yep, although you find the hype for these products builds for months in advance. At best analysts were predicting a revised iPad 3, the only difference being the Lightning connector. To the worlds surprise they also stuck an A6X in there and called it an iPad 4 months before we were expecting it. Unfortunately though these were the only real updates to the hardware, the most minor revision yet and it seems to have just went under the radar for the most part (at least compared to the 3 prior models).

What also didn't help was Apple announcing the already hyped iPad Mini, a Retina 13 Macbook pro, new iMacs and Minis all at the same time.

I work in an IT department and to be honest our office is usually abuzz with tech chat after big IOS device releases, was the case with the first 3 iPads and the Mini, but can't recall a single mention of the iPad 4 yet.

11. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

The fact that it was only a minor spec update combined with the fact that several other more exciting products were announced at the same time are the reasons no one is really excited about the iPad 4. It's pretty much a replacement for the current iPad 3rd gen in order to get all of Apple's current iOS devices using the Lightning connector. No big rush to update if you have an iPad 3 and if you were planning on getting a 3rd gen, then you're in luck because the new 4th gen is the same price.

12. irod87 macrumors regular

There was no hype because there were no leaks or even expectation of it coming out at this time. It was all about the mini. Post announcement hype isn't that big because its too similar to the ipad 3.

13. Texran macrumors regular

Memory

The A6 is a big step up in processing power.
    I'm still trying to find out if they put 1 GB of memory in it as well. If they didn't I'll probably just keep my iPad 2.

14. tann macrumors 68000

of course there was no hype, they don't want to push the new big iPad as much as the new shiny mini, the new 4th gen is more to keep their entire product line more understandable to the general consumer, as well to keep up, if not be far ahead of competition. Probably to move the iPad releases to the fall as well, with the iPad getting a design change next year, the mini the year after, the ipad 2 after. I.E each one gets a design change every other year.

15. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

3rd gen already had 1GB so the answer is yes.

I really think the iPad 4 really just got lost in the news of all the other new products. It's really a 3S, which in the phone world is no small thing when it's the only news that quarter. Never as big as when they make it look different, but this is no small update; the processor, camera and new charger will all make noticeable differences.

16. LanEvo macrumors 6502

That's what is confusing me, they shouldn't have released a 4 then. This is my personal ranting... I understand their move and all, but they should have just called the Mini to be released and that's all. They should have kept iPad 3 over introducing iPad 4.

17. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Agreed 100%.

18. tann, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012

tann macrumors 68000

But they needed a way to differentiate between the old ipad 3 and the upgraded 4.

Without the updated iPad the mini (apart from the screen) is a much better bargain or the iPad 3 is a much worse buy!

They would have had the iPhone 5 (top of the range) with A6, the iPad mini (the 4S of the iPad world) with a front 720p HD FaceTime camera and with the A5 and the iPad (top of the range) with the A5X (with poorer wifi, worse lte compatibility and as good, if not slightly worse (in some cases) processor). Why is the iPad with A5X $170 MORE than a mini?!

Now they have the A6 and A6X, their two most powerful cpu/gpu combos in their two flagship devices. Then you have things like the (rumored) Nexus 10 releasing soon with their 2560x1880 (or something) displays and new, fasssst processors and the iPad will have looked noticeably more slow next to them (despite Apple having one of the best optimised OS's for their hardware). Just some reasoning behind them doing it now rather than waiting.

Edit: Also lightning, yup would be weird EVERY SINGLE OTHER latest device of theirs used it, but their newest big iPad didn't.

19. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Because of the Lightning port. They had to update the full-size iPad somehow. Simply adding a Lightning port and calling it "iPad (3rd generation with Lightning port)" would produce confusion with people not knowing which iPad they have - accessories made for iPad 3rd generation or 3rd generation version 2...

Yes, Apple could have left it otherwise unchanged except for the port, but if all they had to do was slap an A6X in there, then why not.

20. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Yep ! I totally agree ! The iPad-4 is the least Hyped Apple Product in the recent past. Was such a Low Key affair !!

21. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

iPad 4 was a spec bump. No reason for any hype. Apple already signaled that iPads are going the way of mac in terms of hype and release hype earlier this year when they announced the new iPad in March. Plus everyone is clamoring for MSFT surface now.

22. yinz macrumors 6502a

People were mad about the iPad 2,4 being so kept secret, so I guess Apple decided to announce their spec bump.

Now people are annoyed that they call it an iPad fourth gen instead of calling it iPad 3rd gen..

People were mad that the iPhone 4S wasn't the iPhone 5 because the case wasn't different..

Apple is updating too slow. Apple is updating too quickly.

Come on.

This forum just has too many whiners..

23. richardmu macrumors 6502a

That's what many have said on here.

However I couldn't see enough of a difference side by side to justify the expense of the swap and the albeit slight increase in weight and thickness. Must be my old eyes aren't up to it!

Come on number 5!

24. yegon macrumors 68020

I agree with OP. I don't doubt for one moment the 4 will be a beast, will sell like hotcakes and solves the (greatly exaggerated) flaws of the 3, and is far and away the best iPad yet (well duh!). However....is it exciting? I lean towards no, I've never been less inclined to upgrade and I'm an upgrade whore (1-2-3, ordered a mini).

Far more excited about the mini, old tech be damned, simply because its portability means Ill take it out practically everywhere (other than drinking and gym etc) and it'll be a tonne more useful than my 3.

25. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

It's a spec bump, shouldn't receive much attention as it's quite overkill.