The iPad - I finally get it.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mirai 11, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Mirai 11 macrumors 6502

Mirai 11

Maybe this isn't the place, but, whatever.
    I finally see, after months of thinking 'oh its just a bigger iPod Touch', that tablets, the iPad, actually make sense.

I posted a blog if anyone wants to read my points:
    http://ventwipe.blogspot.com/2011/10/tablets-i-finally-get-it.html

I have to say, a 16GB iPad 2 would work so well right now, specially now University Lectures start in 2 days!
    I could stream video and documents from iCloud and AirVideo while i'm playing game on the iPhone, i could be reading a book at night, a newspaper in the morning, and a magazine on the tube, while having notes and study aides help me throughout my degree.
    Just thought i'd make it known here as i've done quite a few replies on here of how they don't justify themselves.
    Well, i'm pleased to say they do now :)

2. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

Yay! :)

Welcome to the iPad appreciation society!

These iPads are about the best thing and the most useful device ever.

I'm still using an excellent iPad 1 but a friend of mine got the 2 and it's even better.....

Sent from my iPad

3. sloppygator2013 macrumors regular

Glad you posted this. I can finally rest easy. :rolleyes:

4. stevemiller macrumors 65816

i don't have a hate on for tablets by any means, but its sorta telling that there's such a strong need to "justify" them. its another option and options are good, but listing off reasons like "finally you can easily read the news on your commute" is just going to recycle debates whether its any better than a smartphone. where i am transit is cramped with people, and a smaller device is more practical for me. if you want one just get one, as for me i'm gonna cross my fingers and hope for a 4" iPhone someday :p

5. pingfan59 macrumors member

I would think that it would be easier on your eyes(long term health) reading from an iPad vs. the iPod Touch. Just an observation and my opinion. Would certainly like one, but for now, will use my thunderbolt or MBP on my lap instead.

6. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

During the hype-filled build up to the launch of the original iPad, I couldn't make a case for a tablet between a smartphone and laptop, and totally didnt 'get it'.
    That all changed when Steve held up and demonstrated the first iPad at he launch event.

Apple identified the vital things that you have to nail, right out of the gate:
    The display.
    Responsiveness and performance.
    Battery life.

Three things(amongst others) that a lot of tablet makers fail to get right.

7. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

8. 4zuresky macrumors member

Agreed. I know that feeling all to well. I was pretty much skeptical on the bigger iPod, iPad till I actually bought for cheap and was planning to sell it back for more. But in the end I came to love it so much that I got an iPad 2 wifi and 3G that is 32gbs lol! Such a fail on my part :)

9. saberahul macrumors 68040

iPad isn't a bigger iPod. The iPod is a smaller iPad.

10. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

i definitely didn't see the use for an iPad, but now i'm most likely going to get one.

we're too far in with the iPad 2, so i'm just going to wait for the next gen. i'm in no rush to get one anyways.

11. kemo macrumors 6502a

kemo

congrats! Actually I did get one 2 days back, too. And Im impressed, not only by the speed - which is incredible, and everything looks so snappy and smooth, but also the display and colors are incredibly crisp, simply love it, and now with iCloud the effortless syncing is perfect. Im just worried about the thing that Apple will release iPad 3 soon, so l hope not :)

12. Mirai 11 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mirai 11

I've been to Regent Street a few times to have a good go on them, especially with iOS 5 now, and i love the swiping to another app just like how its done in Lion.
    Right now i'm just looking for good cases. Smart Covers do seem good, but i'd want something to cover the back, or a kind of hard slip case to put it in, i don't want a nightmare scenario of the screen cracking when banging about in my bag.

13. Zcott macrumors 68020

I bought a cheap sleeve for this purpose. Smart cover at home, sleeve and smart cover when I'm out.

14. Mirai 11 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mirai 11

15. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

16. Macrovertigo macrumors member

Macrovertigo

another sees the light

I have just gotten around to looking into iPod Touch and iPad at all - gone bleary eyed choosing a gift for someone - and come away from the experience knowing that now I must have an iPad 3, the agonizing wait begins. (for the gift, I chose an iPod 2, wifi and 3G, 16 ...

17. takeshi74 macrumors 601

It's a subjective thing. It's not one-size-fits-all despite what some people on both sides of the matter seem to assume.

18. LincolnsiPod macrumors 6502

In the beginning I thought the iPad was an overhyped super sized iPod that would prove to be the FAIL that it was over time.

Until I got an iPad 2. :D

I find it's preferential to using my MacBook because it precludes the need to drag around a backpack with all my accessories in it just for the pleasure of using my MacBook at Starbucks, restaurants, libraries, etc.

Now I just carry my iPad around like it's a book. Its form factor is small enough to take up minimal space on a dining table, but with the use of a smart cover I can treat it like a mini laptop for all but the most demanding tasks (such as photo editing in Aperture) or stand it up to watch Hulu/Netflix. I always dine alone, so being able to use my iPad to watch a TV show or a movie while I'm enjoying a meal takes the edge off the stares I get from people who look at single men as if they are diseased lepers of society.

Since I travel a lot, I find that I use my iPhone when I'm on the go, my iPad for when I have a chance to sit down, and my MacBook for when I'm settled back at the hotel for the night.

Also great at the doctor's office too, hard to stand up a MacBook when you're in the waiting room, but an iPad is manna from heaven. :D

19. bobTX10 macrumors member

Hahahahahahahahahah!!!

20. Judas1 macrumors 6502a

I don't mean to stink up this thread with a rant but here goes. I think that the ipad is a great, well made, and fun gadget, but it is by no means a productivity machine. We will never be able to replace computers with it, it will just be a companion to computers. With that said, I don't really see why it only comes at 10 inches. It should really come in a variety of sizes so people can have the screen real estate they want, similar to computers. Also, there really needs to be a 7 incher. For those of us who can use the 11" mba as a primary productivity machine, we want a toy that bridges the gap between the mba and the 3.5" iphone (11" mba and 10" ipad overlap too much.) For those of us who use a macbook pro 13" or higher, that bridge is already provided by the 10" ipad. End rant.

21. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I don't have any real views on screen size except that I personally dislike 7-inchers because there's too much "tweener" compromise. Screen not big enough to type or view an entire web page comfortably.

I completely disagree on not being able to use iPads as productivity devices either now or (especially) in the future. Most of the limitations right now are a function of software, not the form factor. I could easily see this replacing my laptop for just about everything once the software is capable enough to do that. Input is not a problem if the UI is designed correctly and if you use an external keyboard for long-form text entry. As Steve Jobs said, you can just whip out a keyboard for the 1% of the time you need it, but you still enjoy the benefits of the tablet form factor the other 99%. You'd have to be pretty short-sighted to think that in time these couldn't be machines on which you get work done.

22. Judas1 macrumors 6502a

I disagree. Exactly because its a touch interface, it can't truly be a productivity machine. For example, typing, you can do short stints, but typing for long periods, you're really abusing your hands. Navigating, you will never be as quick as a mouse, and after a while, your arm gets tired because you're moving your arm a lot. There are many limitations to productivity just because its a touch interface, and it has nothing to do with the software.
    Also if you have to put it on a stand, and use an external keyboard to make it productive, it only shows that computers are productive, not tablets.

23. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

The typing issue is not an issue because of the ability to add an external keyboard. I'm not sure why you're making a distinction between "computers" and "tablets." Tablets ARE computers, just in a different form factor. The convenience of the form factor simply means that you don't have to lug around a keyboard (as you would with a laptop) when you don't need it most of the time.

Navigation, again, is a function of software. There is no reason a UI cannot be designed to make manipulation of objects as fast or faster with fingers as it is with a mouse. We're not there yet with many apps, but again, you'd have to be pretty short-sighted to think this will not all changes with time. Now, granted, for certain apps it might be the case that a mouse will always be easier but that's not true across all apps.