The iPad needs a phone app

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by ajiuo, Jul 21, 2014.

1. ajiuo macrumors 65816

Now that the iPad and Mac can make phone calls. It would be cool for them both to have a phone app. It would be nice to see missed calls. They could also move voicemail to the cloud.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

FaceTime App -> John Appleseed -> FaceTime Audio.

4. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

A phone app that doesn't act like a phone (meaning can't dial out calls) wouldn't really be necessary imo. NC is fine.

5. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

How does Skype let you place calls using Handoff? I think that is the point of the OP.

6. ajiuo thread starter macrumors 65816

Facetime is not a solution. FaceTime audio is not the same as Ios8 remote phone calling.. Remote phone uses the iPhone remotely to make calls. FaceTime also does not have a dialer or access to voicemail or favorites.

Skype is not a solution for the same reason. Im not looking to do IP calling.

They should just add a phone app to iPad and Mac and then ditch the contacts app.. FaceTime could probably be integrated in to the phone app as well... And while they are at it. Visual voicemail is perhaps one of the most outdated and under featured aspects of the iPhone.. Time to fix it.

7. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I can understand where you are coming from but unless you're a 911 operator why do you need to be able to make phone calls from 3 different devices all the time? Who is on the phone that often?

8. BrettDS macrumors 65816

This is done through the FaceTime app. You can go to FaceTime on the iPad and dial a regular phone number and it will place the call through your phone. Missed calls also show up there.

I agree that it's kind of confusing and should really be a separate app though.

9. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Like the poster above said, the FaceTime app allows you to call out actual numbers through your phone. It works the same was on OS X. I do agree it would be really cool to allow voicemail to come through as well though.

10. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

I agree, for continuity's sake having a standalone phone app (with synced Favorites and Voicemails) would be awesome. I love that phone calls now ring on my ipad/Mac, but I still need to have my phone handy in case I decline a call and want to listen to the voicemail instead. Having a phone app with synced voicemails would really mean that my phone wouldn't be necessary when I'm at my desk.

11. proshots4you macrumors member

So do I understand this correctly that using the FaceTime app in OSX, you can call out non FaceTime audio / video numbers?

12. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

i mean it is an iPAD not an iPHONE.... just sayin...

13. SeenJeen macrumors regular

I have no idea why people are against this.

When I'm at home, my iPhone is on its charger, and I spend more time on my iPad than I do my Mac... You're damn right I'd want to accept phone calls on my iPad!

Can't wait to try this feature!

14. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

I believe what they will do is modify the Contacts app to include a dialer into it ... thats about it ... they will not create a "Phone" named app for the iPad (from experience)

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

Against what? This is what is in iOS 8 already it seems.

----------

Seems like the FaceTime app would provide that ability based on what some others are saying.

16. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

...which doesn't make sense considering it has nothing to do with FaceTime.

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

Perhaps on some level it might not make as much sense, but the functionality is there, and it seems like the functionality for the most part is what was being asked about.

18. merrickdrfc macrumors 6502

merrickdrfc

Look at what happened with FaceTime, which used to be buried in the Phone app (which didn't really make much sense either) - the same will probably happen with continuity features on iPad/OS X.

Maybe next year if they expand continuity.

19. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

I hope you're right! It just does make more sense to have it. Seems like a good 2.0 kind of update.

20. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

I am not sure if this would happen. The phone app on an iPad would be useless to someone who doesn't have an iPhone.

21. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

I see exactly what you are saying. However, maybe the phone app would only appear after you connect your iPhone to the same iCloud account as the iPad, which I believe is when Continuity becomes functional.

22. valleian macrumors regular

valleian

I would only accept a phone app on the iPad and Mac once it's connected to my iPhone, and I'd want it to disappear once my iPhone disconnects. Otherwise it it would be quite useless.

23. ajiuo thread starter macrumors 65816

That is perhaps the worst rationalization I have ever heard for not doing something... Everything is useless to some people... It doesn't hurt to have it around for the people who do want it.

Why not just ditch the contacts app on all platforms and have a phone app. The phone app does everything that the contacts app does and more. It would be nice to have acsess to the call log, dialer, voicemail, and favorits on all devices... If you don't want to use the extra stuff then you don't have to... Perhaps they could even just have an option that switches the app between phone mode and simple contacts mode.

I'm sure a 3erd party dialer will come out... Would be nice to have it stock though.

24. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

I agree that Apple should create a phone app for the iPad... They're adding this functionality, so WHY NOT is the question, rather than why.

25. ajiuo thread starter macrumors 65816

And why they are at it they should add the ability to edit contact groups via IOS... Voicmail also needs a major overhaul... I use YouMail the stock visual voicmail is so limited and outdated.