Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I can see where you're coming from, but people will look like damn fools holding iPads up to their face - unless you're 80 or older, then your Jitterbug phone with large buttons is acceptable.

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
That is perhaps the worst rationalization I have ever heard for not doing something... Everything is useless to some people... It doesn't hurt to have it around for the people who do want it.

Why not just ditch the contacts app on all platforms and have a phone app. The phone app does everything that the contacts app does and more. It would be nice to have acsess to the call log, dialer, voicemail, and favorits on all devices... If you don't want to use the extra stuff then you don't have to... Perhaps they could even just have an option that switches the app between phone mode and simple contacts mode.

I'm sure a 3erd party dialer will come out... Would be nice to have it stock though.

Definitely not the worst idea at all. At least the contacts app serves a purpose. Lets say you have an iPad but no iPhone and you see the phone app.. What would happen if you opened it and tried to make a call? I am pretty offended by your statement. There a huge difference between "useless to some people" and having an app on someones iPad that serves absolutely no purpose to them. Maybe Contacts is useless to some people, but the app still has a purpose and function that is available to all. This isn't a matter of opinion but a fact that a Phone app on the iPad will be useless to people who do not have an iPhone.

I did see someone comment that having the Phone app only appear if an iPhone is paired with the iCloud account. That is a possibility and I can almost guarantee this discussion is taking place at Apple too. Theories are great, but implementing them is another thing. For now... we have the functionality in the FaceTime app while they work on a better solution, if that is what they decide to do.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So what's the issue about simply using the FaceTime app for all these types of purposes (as some have mentioned) again?

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
I can see where you're coming from, but people will look like damn fools holding iPads up to their face - unless you're 80 or older, then your Jitterbug phone with large buttons is acceptable.

You don't hold it up to your ear... You use speaker phone... Same on Mac.

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
FaceTime is a horrible phone app. First of all it does not have a dialer. In ios8 thd recents and favorits have been removed... Contacts are only accessed by searching, and there seems to be no obvious way to Select between phone and FaceTime audio... I honestly don't like the ios8 FaceTime app at all. I don't even know why we need a separate FaceTime app... That type of call should just be an option on the phone app. Then on the iPad if you don't have a phone... Only FaceTime will be available... And if you don't have FaceTime enabled or a phone... The dialer and voicemail tabs are removed and the app changes to just contacts... We don't need 3 diffrent apps when everything needed is already in the phone app... Just make it a bit dynamic based on a users setup...

Måns.S

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2014
Sweden
That was what all my friends asked me in 2010 when I got the first gen iPad.
"It is just a huge iPhone"

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Well, although that's a great idea, I believe it defeats the whole purpose of a Tablet or Desktop Computer. You can always use Skype or Gtalk.

Not really. iOS 8 allows you to make actual phone calls with your phone number from your Mac/iPad, as well as answer incoming calls. Makes it a LOT easier if, say, your iPhone is in another room... Or you are on the Internet on your MacBook or iPad and come across, I don't know, a local pizza shop and you want to call and order without having to go find your iPhone. It makes it so you can just click on their phone number on your iPad or Mac and you are calling them as you would with your iPhone.

Sharkey311

Suspended
Jan 11, 2013
What I want to know is why the hell they haven't made a stock Calculator or Weather App for iPad. Boggles the mind.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
What I want to know is why the hell they haven't made a stock Calculator or Weather App for iPad. Boggles the mind.

THIS.

I have been wanting this for years. It just bugs me when I need to grab a separate device to do what should be a very simple task on my iPad (i.e. check the weather or do some quick math). Maybe now that they're emphasizing all the connectivity and everything-everywhere awesomeness they'll finally add those apps. Maybe. Hopefully.

twochinz

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2014
I have no idea why people are against this.

When I'm at home, my iPhone is on its charger, and I spend more time on my iPad than I do my Mac... You're damn right I'd want to accept phone calls on my iPad!

Can't wait to try this feature!

This is very true, i do the same. Sometimes my phone is on charging station and im too lazy to get up even

Sharkey311

Suspended
Jan 11, 2013
THIS.

I have been wanting this for years. It just bugs me when I need to grab a separate device to do what should be a very simple task on my iPad (i.e. check the weather or do some quick math). Maybe now that they're emphasizing all the connectivity and everything-everywhere awesomeness they'll finally add those apps. Maybe. Hopefully.

Unless they are keeping it hush hush, we won't see it in ios 8

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.