iPad Pro The iPad Pro

Discussion in 'iPad' started by themkook, Sep 9, 2015.

1. themkook, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015

themkook macrumors newbie

Massive at 12.9", heavier and thicker than the previous Air, with a stylus.

Good idea? Bad idea? Will you be buying?

Is it really a "desktop computer" replacement?

Base price is $799 for the 32GB model (wi-fi only), the pencil is $99, the Smart Keyboard is $169.

2. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

tbh...I am very tempted to get this. It all depends on the price now. I already have an iPad Air 2 though......

3. 3rdiguy, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015

3rdiguy macrumors 6502a

3rdiguy

Seems like it would be good for professionals and a lot of other people. The  pencil is a bad ass device too. I will still get a MacBook for full capabilities. iPad Pro= too much iPad and not enough Mac.

4. tbayrgs, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015

tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Definitely has my attention, even potentially as a replacement for my MBP. :eek: (Would still have a office desktop, can't replace EVERY functionality of a full PC, but a great majority of my everyday tasks).

And as much I'm intrigued for my own use, really excited about how my kids could use it.

UPDATE: Just saw the pricing...OUCH! Starting with 32GB at that price is not very 'customer friendly', to be diplomatic. Price tag for a 128GB model with both Pencil and keyboard is $1217! :(

5. noles1983 macrumors regular

not really impressed, i would like a full desktop operating system

6. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

My
    My 7 year old would love love this. I am seriously thinking about getting one.

7. sqa4life macrumors regular

I am sold. Going to sell my MBP and get this 128gb iPad pro.

8. dave420 macrumors 65816

No 16 GB model? No way I'm not getting it. I shouldn't have to pay extra for stage I don't need. Should have a 16 GB model for $699!

9. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I might...really have to see how truly capable it is but I'd end up with some cash in my pocket. Hmmm....

10. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

m
    Maybe....factor in the keyboard cover and pencil too....

11. Doc69 macrumors 6502

I'm definitely going to buy one. It will be nice to finally be able to read full page PDFs at a proper size. And $799 seems to be an OK price too, compared to $499 for the iPad Air 2. And you get 32GB, which is perfect for me.

12. TechnicallyTee macrumors demi-god

TechnicallyTee

Its a beast but I would have like a more MS Surface like experience. But I guess they didnt want to do that since that may cut into the Macbook sales.

13. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

My MPB is a near loaded 15" so yes, I'll be coming out a little ahead. ;)

14. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I had low expectations for the iPad Pro, but this announcement fell short of those expectations. :(

Disappointment #1: No support for pointing devices (mice/trackpads)

Disappointment #2: $940 for 128GB

Disappointment #3: price of the peripherals: $99 pencil, $170 keyboard.

15. markovchain macrumors member

16. Ipadlover29 macrumors 6502a

I'm thinking it will only have 2gb of ram. Wish it had more than 10 hours battery life.

17. sigmadog macrumors 6502a

sigmadog

It appears they've done a decent job translating pen strokes to the iPad, and I would love to use one for illustration work, but I won't because it's IOS, and all my professional tools are OSX. It will take a lot to get me to replace my Wacom Cintiq. Also, a $100 pencil?

No thanks, Apple. I'm good.

EDIT: As for the mobile capability: yes it would be nice to illustrate away from the office, that's why I have sketchbooks, pencils, pens and brushes. We artists love our gear.

18. auzzuro macrumors regular

hi if i buy the apple pencil and after using it is there a place to put it on the ipad something like samsung note

19. Will0827 macrumors regular

Will0827

Aside from the fact that this device will allow for better iPad apps, there is no reason to get this over a Retina Macbook, unless you must have a touch screen.

20. mackinmike macrumors 6502

No thanks. Pricing is insane.. Surface pro 3 is a full fledged computer so why get a gimped ipad?

21. AFEPPL macrumors 68020

AFEPPL

Yet another me too product from apple.
    Does it have a MS logo on the back?

22. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    I admit I was very "meh" about the Pro, it does sound cool, and I like the features and multiple speakers it has. The size and price are killer though. I sold my iPad Air 2, but now I might buy it again (especially with all the sales going on.) The pro is too pricey and the size might be too much. I would have been fine if Apple just silently updated the Air 3.
    I guess I'll wait and see more images.

23. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Not buying - way too expensive.

and you still need iTunes on a laptop o_O

24. rdcrds macrumors regular

Well i was going to let my Gran kid keep my Ipad air 2 but even with me being middle class not poor but not a 100K a year earner this price is a huge jump. Last year during Black Friday i got the Ipad air 2 on a ebay deal that sold out fast for 599$ with 128GB now if i could get this for 799$ with that much space that is 1 thing but almost a grand? and if you want the keyboard and pencil you are looking at 1200 plus? this is a tablet. For 1200 you can get a very nice unit that will do more then this. Ipad prices do not seem to drop much so i guess get it BLACK FRIDAY if you want one cause last year after Black Friday the Ipad air 2 went back up and as of the other day it was still selling for more then it was on BF. I wish Sprint who is my crappy provider would offer this with a good discount with a 2 year upgrade. I will have a 2 year upgrade to use soon but they mark them up so much there is no savings.

25. Nausicaa macrumors 6502a

I love it, personally. Everything about the presentation resonated with me. The iPad is one of my favorite products ever, and I love the large format touch screen. An even larger screen, with the new iOS, and a stylus, is pretty much exactly what I wanted. Very excited and a day 1 buy for me.