Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calle73

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2005
3 year old comic :)
2012-06-19-surface-tension.jpg

alphaswift

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2014
Massive at 12.9", heavier and thicker than the previous Air, with a stylus.

Good idea? Bad idea? Will you be buying?

Is it really a "desktop computer" replacement?

Base price is $799 for the 32GB model (wi-fi only), the pencil is $99, the Smart Keyboard is $169.

I already have one. It's called Surface Pro 3.

Reactions: From A Buick 8

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I would be tempted to try going with it as a laptop replacement, it does everything I need, but it is way too expensive.

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
3 year old comic :)
2012-06-19-surface-tension.jpg

This is funny, but seriously Apple's keyboard seems a lot nicer to me. First of all, it eliminates the need for the over-engineered "hinge" on the Surface, which I never liked, and it also folds over better so when not in use your fingers aren't awkwardly gripping a bunch of buttons.

Reactions: cjking2007 and akdj

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
I'd be interested in a comparison with the new pro and the Samsung Galaxy note pro 12.2 by someone with access to both. As a math teacher, I'm intrigued by the idea of a replacement for paper, or paper notebooks.

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
I'd be interested in a comparison with the new pro and the Samsung Galaxy note pro 12.2 by someone with access to both. As a math teacher, I'm intrigued by the idea of a replacement for paper, or paper notebooks.

Apple's product is better simply by virtue of superior software support. The pen also looks superior, but without hands on experiences it's hard to say at this point.

Reactions: cjking2007

nbourbaki

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2015
CVG, CPH, BOS
Lightning connector at USB 2.0 speeds, so I can't use it as a secondary display for my Macbook. TFT display which is lower quality than IPS displays in my iPad Air or my Macbook. Price is too high for an IOS device and the accessories are silly expensive. No USB-C for data transfer speed and fast charging.

I'm sure that version 2 will fix most of these shortcomings, but what's the point of increased storage bandwidth and gimp it with Lightning/USB 2.0?

Reactions: MareLuce

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
My first Mac, lo those many years ago, was a 512KE. The iPad Pro by comparison:
  • more than 28x the screen real estate
  • more than 40,000 times the storage (smallest model vs one floppy drive)
  • 4,000 times as much RAM (if it is 2Gb)
  • more than 200 times the processor speed (several 64-bit cores + several GPU cores, vs 1 32-bit core on a 16-bit data bus)
  • ridiculous size/weight and electric power demand comparisons
and yet …

It cannot handle traditional windowing? That could be freaking awesome on a touch screen – I really want that.

It has absolutely no kind of direct access to the file system. That is the kicker. I tried to put a quick hand-coded page up on a web server (via FileBrowser FTP) and it was a royal PITA getting to page itself out of a text editor. I really want to be able to handle my own files to a reasonable extent. In fact, I would pay Apple $50.us for that, maybe even more.

"Pro" is pretty and powerful, but it comes up short for me (admittedly, I am an outlier, but still…).

Last edited:

timothevs

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
FL
Oh think of the GORGEOUS resolution and size and how amazing it would be to read comics on that beautiful screen. And Apple Pencil? How long have I waited for the perfect stylus... not to mention the amount of $$ I have frittered away on Styli that never were meant to be used with the original iPad series.

Reactions: Hellenek

merkinmuffley

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2010
Pencil appears to be a nice device. But if this thing won't run Adobe Photoshop, it is not of any use to me.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
The iPad Pro seems to be a very nice device, but I just do not see where it fits my computing needs, especially after getting the Retina Macbook. It is also pretty expensive, almost up to Macbook levels.

Reactions: Jetcat3

sigmadog

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
just west of Idaho
It cannot handle traditional windowing? That could be freaking awesome on a touch screen – I really want that.

It has absolutely no kind of direct access to the file system. That is the kicker. I tried to put a quick hand-coded page up on a web server (via FileBrowser FTP) and it was a royal PITA getting to page itself out of a text editor. I really want to be able to handle my own files to a reasonable extent. In fact, I would pay Apple $50.us for that, maybe even more.

"Pro" is pretty and powerful, but it comes up short for me (admittedly, I am an outlier, but still…).

Apple tosses around the "Pro" designation a little too freely, if you ask me. I think they talked about video editing with this iPad, but what "Pro" level app is available in IOS for that? IMovie? Puh-leeze!

And like you said, the lack of a user accessible file system is nuts, although it's not like you're going to have a whole lot of files with only 128GB storage.

An iPad "Pro" in my opinion would run OSX. Until then, I'm not even interested.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
I'm mixed on iPad Pro. It should be $100 cheaper across the board, especially with Apple charging $100+ for the keyboard and stylus. This is clearly designed to compete with the Surface Pro 3, though I don't see much reason to choose the iPad Pro when the Surface runs full Windows.

The 128GB model only makes sense if you're someone like a graphics designer. Otherwise, a 13" rMBP would make more sense.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I'm mixed on iPad Pro. It should be $100 cheaper across the board, especially with Apple charging $100+ for the keyboard and stylus. This is clearly designed to compete with the Surface Pro 3, though I don't see much reason to choose the iPad Pro when the Surface runs full Windows.

The 128GB model only makes sense if you're someone like a graphics designer. Otherwise, a 13" rMBP would make more sense.
The iPad Pro turned out to be little more than the "iPad RT". :rolleyes: Even at that, my Surface 2 (running Windows RT) is still more capable than this iPad Pro. Very disappointed :(

The iPad Pro turned out to be little more than the "iPad RT". :rolleyes: Even at that, my Surface 2 (running Windows RT) is still more capable than this iPad Pro. Very disappointed :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
Is anyone else disappointed that they didn't offer a 256 GB version? I was hoping for a device that Would hold all of my games and photos without the need for cloud storage. The surface goes all the way to, what, 512GB?

yep, if it had 256GB it would be a day one purchase for me, 512GB would have been a dream. I would also love to hold all my photo's/videos/films/tv shows on an iPad. Don't think its for me with just 128GB :(

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
I will be aiming for the 128GB with LTE. Can't be beat, as a traveller it'll lighten my load as compared to a Macbook Pro and I can have data anywhere, and still be able to edit my photos and videos. I'm sold. The pencil and keyboard are the icing and cherry on top for me. I'll be waiting for the pre orders

Reactions: Hellenek and akdj

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W

Really? That's what you 'saw'?
I saw a device "shown" by professionals, artists and doctors. I'm excited for what it'll do in the cockpit. The speed of the 9x alone blows the doors off your Surface 'RT', not to mention the lack of an App Store with quality.
The Apple Pencil is of similar price to active styli of quality ...just twice the price of the best passive 'nubs'
The rendering speed while dissecting the tissue was phenomenal, incredible detail and abilities to annotate, again ...back to the pencil, the incredible sensors rival anything Wacom has done and we were paying a few thousand a couple years ago for this size 'pad', subtract the 'computer'
As an owner of the Air 1 and 2 and regularly experience the speed differences, I'd be amiss to forget mentioning the speed of the A9X. If it's truly twice as quick as the 8x, I'd bet it's got 4GB of RAM. They've increased the read write speed of already some of the fastest NAND on the market and if they're right, the speed of this guy's gonna be close to a ULP core 'i' series with better integrated GPU. The last couple sentences are obviously conjecture and my own feelings but some of the dismissals in this thread are ridiculous.
Sure, the Surface 3 is capable of running 'real' Windows programs, x86 - but it's seriously underpowered for the masses. As a Creeative Cloud subscriber from the beginning and Adobe user for a decade and a ½ --- Adobe's spending more resources and time then EVER on mobile, specifically iOS apps, updates and parities or their desktop apps. From Premier to InDesign, PS and 'artistic/creative & drawing' applications, it seems they're on the front end of killer apps. If you're not a CC subscriber, sure..., it's lame. But then again, it's never been 'cheaper' to use (legally) Photoshop, After Effects, Audition, or Media Converter.
Microsoft, check. Their apps have been phenomenal since their 1.0 release! Office on iOS is incredible, and other than a spreadsheet jockey, I'm at a loss of what businessman or woman isn't satisfied with the $10/month, 5TB, five tablet and five workstation subscription
Again, MS, a company revisiting its roots with its software offerings, and their dedication to mobile.
Other than connectibility that isn't able to be done via Bluetooth, NFC or Wifi/LTE hotspot, this iPad Pro is so much easier to tote around than a 13" rMBP, with a lot of upside if you're using the larger 15.4" rMBP as I've done since the 17" went by the wayside. I've been considering the 13" for a while but don't need the extensive 'ports'. The 12" MacBook being somewhat underpowered for OS X --- the iPad Pro couldn't be more intriguing to me.

This wasn't meant to pick on your comment specifically sracer, but you summed up so much of the negativity in a truly false statement. As so many others are wrong or off track, seem to overlook the expense of other active styli, keyboards of capability and ...of course, Apple's liberal return policy and phenomenal support

I'm buying one. I'm sure plenty will sell. It's cool if you don't need it. But a WHOLE lot of professional and enterprise situations are ripe for this type of device with its backbone and infrastructure of Apple itself, the App Store and the public's knowledge of how to use them ...I see it being a huge boon to education as well. While the price may seem high, you might check out student bookstore prices. Wasted paper, pens, sending and receiving and the ability to respond or reciprocate from a singular device --- I'm not sure this won't be the biggest iPad 'deal' since the transition from iPad 2-->4 & the resolution along with the Air/64 bit all lumped together

Apple TV ... The Watch, the new iPhone is incredible ...today was a real win for Apple IMHO.

Tl/Dr - I disagree

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Really? That's what you 'saw'?
I saw a device "shown" by professionals, artists and doctors. I'm excited for what it'll do in the cockpit. The speed of the 9x alone blows the doors off your Surface 'RT', not to mention the lack of an App Store with quality.
The Apple Pencil is of similar price to active styli of quality ...just twice the price of the best passive 'nubs'
The iPad Pro is still running a mobile OS that doesn't support things like USB devices or pointing devices like mice and trackpads. The iPad Pro still has the same limitations for peripherals as the non-Pro iPad. Yes, the iOS ecosystem is rich and mature. But this thing is going up against the Surface Pro and it falls short in the "Pro" dept.

Processor speeds and feeds are not in and of themselves important to me. I don't stare at spec sheets but use devices to get things done. So I don't particularly care what the clock speeds are of things but how they perform in everyday tasks.

The Apple Pencil is twice as expensive as active styli for Windows tablets.

I've been a pretty vocal advocate for an iPad Pro device on this forum. If Apple had included support for mice/trackpads and kept the price of the device ($800 for 64GB) and peripherals ($50 pencil, $100 keyboard) in line with the competition, I would've been all over it.

Ultimately, the iPad Pro brings only a larger screen and a stylus.

Reactions: dk001

Bah-Bah

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2013
For me this is a missed opportunity. If Apple are going to claim desktop class performance (which it isn't) then let us run our desktop applications on it please.

I'd like a tablet with a skylake chip in it, running OS X. Seems like the best I can do is the first 2 of those things, if I'm willing to use Windows and wait for a Surface Pro 4 (which I'm coming round to!).

Reactions: dk001

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I'm thrilled they dumped the 16g. In todays world 16g is virtually useless on a device like this.
Upload most of your files to iCloud or dropbox and you can get by with 16GB fairly easily. If they had offered a cheaper version with 16GB then it might get down into a price range I would be able to consider.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.