The iPad' s BIGGEST SCREWUP IMO

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2011
Still no all encompassing print function for any printer on your wireless network. I have a common brother wifi laser printer but NOOOO I can't print to it from the iPad. Terrible.

GrindedDown

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2009
Las Vegas
What's really bothersome to me is that there is no way to print directly from the iPad to printers that are connected via USB to an Airport Express. It seems like they also have no intention of ever fixing it too as this issue has been around since the iPad came out. I imagine they want to limit functionality like this so they can keep the iPad a separate device from the MBA, MBP, and iMac lineups. Otherwise, it may cannibalize the sales of full-fledged computers, particularly with the iPads price point so much lower than even entry level prices into the computer lineup.

/rant

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
Still no all encompassing print function for any printer on your wireless network. I have a common brother wifi laser printer but NOOOO I can't print to it from the iPad. Terrible.
Bulk up the iPad with gigabytes of unnecessary, poorly written drivers that cause slowness and instability? No thanks.

Drivers are exactly what causes many of the problems that plague PC's. It is to the iPad's benefit that it avoids this altogether.

Driver-less printing is the future and I applaud Apple for forcing the issue. And if you don't want to buy a new printer check out Printopia for Mac or Fingerprint for Windows.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
What's really bothersome to me is that there is no way to print directly from the iPad to printers that are connected via USB to an Airport Express. It seems like they also have no intention of ever fixing it too as this issue has been around since the iPad came out. I imagine they want to limit functionality like this so they can keep the iPad a separate device from the MBA, MBP, and iMac lineups. Otherwise, it may cannibalize the sales of full-fledged computers, particularly with the iPads price point so much lower than even entry level prices into the computer lineup.

/rant

They have AirPrint Hp has a bunch of printers that use it not sure of other brands. AirPrint capable printers can be used directly from the iPad. There are programs as others have said that will make a printer plugged in appear as an AirPrint printer to iPads though

dgstan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
As far as I'm concerned, their biggest omission is the lack of stereo speakers.

gquiring

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
SC
I installed an Airprint driver in my PC that worked very well with my older Canon laser printer. But I rarely print things these days.

Last edited:

BrianSoCal

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2011
Houston, TX
Thanks!!! Never knew either existed!!

Bulk up the iPad with gigabytes of unnecessary, poorly written drivers that cause slowness and instability? No thanks.

Drivers are exactly what causes many of the problems that plague PC's. It is to the iPad's benefit that it avoids this altogether.

Driver-less printing is the future and I applaud Apple for forcing the issue. And if you don't want to buy a new printer check out Printopia for Mac or Fingerprint for Windows.

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
I use Printopia which works well enough. Problem is that you cannot do some basic and needed functions such as selecting the page range. I find it silly that I can select whether to print single or double sided, but not to set the print range.

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2011
and I thought you were going to state that the wifi version doesn't have a GPS antenna :rolleyes:

DigitalJunior

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2012
UK
Printing was one of the things that most impressed me.

Turned printer on, went to ipad press print and no setup no nothing it just printed. (printer is HP Envy) :)

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Ubuntu has the functionality built-in that allows me to use Air-Print with any printer, even if it's not wireless. It's definitely possible, you just need to know where to look. Unfortunately, I don't have a recommendation for similar software on Windows or OSx, but I'm sure it's out there.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I'm obviously missing something.

I can print from my iPad 2. I have an Epson Stylus NX530 wireless printer. In fact, it is easier to print 2 sided from the iPad than from my MBP - one click for 2 sided printing.

I don't understand the problem...:confused:

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
I'm obviously missing something.

I can print from my iPad 2. I have an Epson Stylus NX530 wireless printer. In fact, it is easier to print 2 sided from the iPad than from my MBP - one click for 2 sided printing.

I don't understand the problem...:confused:
re read the post then?

he said his BROTHERS printer, not epson.

that problem he has is that his printer doesnt work. its a personal problem not a problem with the ipad.