Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trek2100

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Sevierville, TN
Go stand in a forest and try again :)

Sorry but I couldn't resist:

If a woman doesn't see him standing in the forest was he really there?:D:D:D:D:D No I'm not a MCP, just a pig:)

I'm not interested in GPS. I'm not giving up my Garmin Nuvi or my Garmin Edge 705 (can't mount the iPad on my Trek, might go airborne).

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
Look at the size of that outer circle - that's how far off its estimation could be. Judging by the size, that's definitely wifi triangulation. On an iPhone with GPS, the circle is a LOT smaller, once GPS has locked on.

bit_bucket

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
Summerville, SC
IDK. This thing is spot on. Also don't know if anyone noticed, but it does have a magnetometer in it. Just click the locate button twice. I am starting to think this has real gps due to the accuracy I am seeing, but then I read on Apples site.

"Finding your way is a completely new experience on iPad. Tap to view locations from above with high-resolution satellite imagery, up close with street view, by topography with a new terrain view, and in map view — all using Google services. Drag your finger up to lift the corner of the map, and you can switch between views. iPad with Wi-Fi finds your location using known Wi-Fi hotspots, and Wi-Fi + 3G models use Wi-Fi, GPS, and cellular towers. So you can get routes, get directions, and get there in no time."

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
IDK. This thing is spot on. Also don't know if anyone noticed, but it does have a magnetometer in it. Just click the locate button twice. I am starting to think this has real gps due to the accuracy I am seeing.

Think it as much as you want, but it doesn't. It's not like it's even a question - aside from the fact that Apple's been quite clear on the matter, ifixit ripped the thing apart and there is no gps.

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Dream on WiFi-only iPad owners! THERE IS NO GPS IN THE WIFI-ONLY IPAD!

You'll notice that the OP's "test" never moved far enough away from his starting location to even load another page of the map. And when he moved off his home location, it lost its accuracy. Even he now admits "maybe not GPS". :rolleyes:

Do a search for the MANY other topics where new WiFi-only iPad owners have used "LOCATE" while near their home WiFi base station and then logged on to announce that the WiFi-only iPad has a GPS. WRONG!

The WiFi location services will work OK in a densely populated area with lots of WiFi hotspots that have been mapped by Skyhook. But that's only if you are on foot and don't move so far off the starting map that you need to load additional map view. Without a WiFi connection to the internet, the WiFi-only iPad can't get the map updates and it also can't communicate with Skyhook's database to active WiFi location services.

Bottom line. The WiFi-only iPad's navigation services is useful if you want to find your way around your own backyard, or walk up the street two houses to a neighbor's house. Beyond that, unless your neighbors have open WiFi hotspots all along the way, you're sunk.

But those FACTS won't stop another 100 topics from being started by noobs with a WiFi-only iPad and no understanding of how WiFi location services work. :rolleyes:

Mark

D4RK STR1D3R

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2010
Turn WiFi off to test

As soon as you turn WiFi off and hit the locate button in the Maps app it says "Location Cannot Be Determined". This clearly shows that the iPad is using WiFi triangulation not GPS as on the iPhone you can turn both WiFi and the Phone off and still triangulate your position using GPS it just takes up to 20 minutes without cell towers assisting. Sorry, we do not have GPS.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
If you're lucky, they ran out of WiFi models and gave you a 3G version for your money. Those come with WiFi and GPS, which should work even if you never sign up for 3G.

My Touch finds my location 933.3 miles away using only Wifi.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
If you're lucky, they ran out of WiFi models and gave you a 3G version for your money. Those come with WiFi and GPS, which should work even if you never sign up for 3G.

My Touch finds my location 933.3 miles away using only Wifi.

The 3G version looks different, there's no way you would get one and not know about it.

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
But how does Google Maps download map info whenever you move somewhere new? I've tried Maps on my 2g iPod Touch but it doesn't have the map info if I'm away from my home wifi. Does it need a public wifi?

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
But how does Google Maps download map info whenever you move somewhere new? I've tried Maps on my 2g iPod Touch but it doesn't have the map info if I'm away from my home wifi. Does it need a public wifi?

Yes, if you want to view your location on a map using the Maps application.

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
Yes, if you want to view your location on a map using the Maps application.

I just want to look at the map wherever I am. I can figure out where I am without a blue dot. But doesn't a 3G/GPS-less model have to download maps whenever the app is used? All the maps of the USA aren't just saved on my iPod Touch right??

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
I just want to look at the map wherever I am. I can figure out where I am without a blue dot. But doesn't a 3G/GPS-less model have to download maps whenever the app is used? All the maps of the USA aren't just saved on my iPod Touch right??

Correct! The Map app downloads the maps for the area you are in as it is needed. No internet connection means you won't get any downloaded map information.

For location services, the WiFi-only iPad is virtually USELESS if you don't have access to a WiFi signal that gives you internet connectivity.

Mark

rickhorn

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2010
the iPad must be in a Wi-Fi range otherwise iPad wont be able to load the google map from the internet. Just like on any iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS, although there is built-in A-GPS, the phone can locate where you are but can NOT load the MAP to show the location.

However if you use Tomtom or Navigon apps that have maps downloaded into your iphone or (assumably future iPad 3G) you are able to use GPS even in a jungles or middle of nowhere...That's simple

bit_bucket

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
Summerville, SC
Think it as much as you want, but it doesn't. It's not like it's even a question - aside from the fact that Apple's been quite clear on the matter, ifixit ripped the thing apart and there is no gps.

I know that fully well. Just saying the accuracy is pretty darn good compared to the touch's I have.

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
Correct! The Map app downloads the maps for the area you are in as it is needed. No internet connection means you won't get any downloaded map information.

For location services, the WiFi-only iPad is virtually USELESS if you don't have access to a WiFi signal that gives you internet connectivity.

Mark

Thanks for your answer! I was already set on getting the 3G version. If the Wifi had GPS capabilities, I would have considered it. I usually never notice public wifi spots.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Oooh. That's even more reason for me to get WiFi only iPad. I live in the city, never too far from a hotspot.

Perhaps I'm missing something here about why you need GPS anyway? If you have lived in your city for a period of time you will know where everything is anyway. The whole concept of GPS navigation is to get from point a to b in a place you are unfamiliar with. Where I want GPS is in the country, far away from city lights, traffic, etc. I want to see this iPad gizmo navigate in the land of forests, pasture land, trails, etc. Then come back and tell me if you are still excited.

In Florida, people have gone to prison for "latching" onto someone else WIFI signal and using it without prior authorization. Another reason why all WIFI signals should be encripted requiring password assistance to gain access to.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Perhaps I'm missing something here about why you need GPS anyway? If you have lived in your city for a period of time you will know where everything is anyway. The whole concept of GPS navigation is to get from point a to b in a place you are unfamiliar with. Where I want GPS is in the country, far away from city lights, traffic, etc. I want to see this iPad gizmo navigate in the land of forests, pasture land, trails, etc. Then come back and tell me if you are still excited.

In Florida, people have gone to prison for "latching" onto someone else WIFI signal and using it without prior authorization. Another reason why all WIFI signals should be encripted requiring password assistance to gain access to.

The reason some of us need GPS is our usage scenarios. I intend to primarily use the iPad 3G+WiFi as a replacement for my MBP when travelling. I often use my iPhone's GPS when on-the-road, but having a much bigger screen with a more functional version of google maps will be very nice indeed.

BTW, using wi-fi triangulation does not make use of others' wifi networks, so it's perfectly legal.

jebbe

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Louisville, KY
It's called Assisted GPS and it is not sufficient for navigation programs.

The 3G + WiFi will have a real GPS.

Wrong, Assisted GPS is what the iPad Wifi+3G has.

Assisted GPS is basically a GPS Chip that gets assisted from your Cellular Signal since your phone typically has an indication of where you're at already. It makes finding your location much much quicker.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Perhaps I'm missing something here about why you need GPS anyway? If you have lived in your city for a period of time you will know where everything is anyway....

Not sure what size city you live in but that is impossible in a large metro area. I'm always using Google Earth/Navigon GPS to go to a place I've never been.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
Skyhook

Skyhok is actually very good in cities even if one cannot connect to the hotspot. They literally drive around everywhere there r streets and people and sniff all the wifi signals. Categorize them.. And then build a map with gps Lon/lat detail so when you SEE that signal it can place you....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.