The iPad2's INSANE battery life!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kylera, Jun 16, 2011.

1. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

And I mean insane in a very positive way.

Since I use public transportation on a daily basis, portable gadgets are always a nice thing for me. Yesterday was the first time I really pushed my iPad...and well, I walked away amazed.

I left my house around noon with an 89% charge. For the better part of the day and night, I spent time alternating between talking with friends on imo.im, flipping through different sections on Flipboard, reading news and general surfing. All while listening to music I copied over some time ago.

If I wasn't doing that, I was playing games -- from hard-hitting like Infinity Blade or Jubeat to simpler fare like Unpleasant Horse.

I used the iPad at work as well, using it to read notes and type more notes on the onscreen keyboard.

I got home at around 10:30PM, and the battery charge read 23%.

All I can say is...wow.

2. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

I just got a 16GB Wifi only too last Sunday, took it out of the box, synced it, played with it for 2-3 hours, went to the airport, flew to PHX from STL (3.5 hrs) and used it on and off through today and still have 10%.

I agree, this thing has crazy battery. I imagine no 3G saves quite a bit of battery.

3. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

4. aleni macrumors 68020

like steve said, it's legendary.

the iPad is the only gadget i have used that i never worry about the battery life while using it.

5. LeggNet macrumors newbie

I'll definitely agree. Here's a recent trip with a 32 gb Wifi:

- Used while waiting at Salt Lake airport to board plane, surfing wifi.
    - Read for about an hour on flight to Portland
    - Used on Portland layover to FaceTime to Japan over Wifi. Surf web a bit
    - On Portland to Tokyo flight - watched 4+ hours of movies, read on Kindle app for for a couple hours, played over an hour of games.

Arrived in Tokyo with somewhere in the 35-40% battery remaining (I don't have it set to show percentage).

Impressive for sure. I never worry about battery life with this thing.

6. jsan1 macrumors member

I used it over four days for about 3-4 hours each day on a single charge.

7. FAsnakes macrumors regular

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

My battery life is also amazing. Last month I flew from LAX-Nassua. Used it the entire way, roughly 5.5 hours. Used it on and off for 5 days uploading pictures and things like that, not too heavy duty. Then used it on the entire flight home, landed back in LA with 2% left. Didn't have to charge my iPad once in 6 days! I was so amazed!

9. genexrocket macrumors regular

Battery life is indeed legendary, mine lasts about 5 days straight while using it each day for a couple hours.

10. bobright macrumors 601

Agreed it's amazing I charge mine once a day and it lasts all till the next day with heavy usage and still about 15-25% or so

Truly magical :p

11. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

Used my new iPad 2 in bed last night on wi-fi browsing for about 2 hours and it was 91%, still on 91% in the morning (I guess no 3G signal to drain battery like my iPhone over night)

Looks like it'd definitely go beyond 10 hours at this usage, I was expecting to see maybe 80% battery after 2 hours of wi-fi browsing since my iPhone 3GS drains at about that speed.

Very impressed

12. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

I used mine heavily during my 8hr international flight and when I finally got home the battery read 23% or something like that. Ridiculous. And that 23% may very well squeeze 2 more hours!

13. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Yea. This device is turely magical. You just have to own one in order to know how "Magical" it is :D

14. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

Loving the Wi-fi iPad standby time too, without a 3G signal to keep slowly draining like my iPhone, this thing lasts forever

Last night used it until 2am (first day I had it so went a bit crazy) and it was 91%, now it's around 16 hours later and still showing 91%!

I did turn off Wi-Fi when not in use though.

15. OptyCT macrumors 6502

The true test is when somebody asks me what kind of battery-life I get out of my iPad 2. I always give the same answer..."I don't know." When you don't know what a particular devices battery-life is, it must not be a problem. :)

16. interwebs macrumors member

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Maybe my ipad 2 is broken. My ipad's battery drains maybe 8-10% on the battery overnight (~6-7 hours). I have push and notifications all disabled and just have wifi active; cellular data disabled. I looked through a bunch of threads and some people say they have this problem whereas others don't; even people who have push and wifi active. I don't recall the first unit I had doing this but maybe I didn't use it enough to notice. I don't want to have to return this one though and go through another round of trying to get a decent screen. It took a lot of effort to find this one and I imagine it would be the same deal all over again on returns :(

17. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

The only "tweaks" I did was making sure I -

Turn off wi-fi when not in use
    Sign out of "Store" in the settings menu
    Turned off Facetime (signed in once to enable, then disable)
    Disable Ping in restrictions (not sure if this even does anything, but I do it on my iPhone too)

I drained 0% over 17 hours so far, been at 91% for that long :eek:

18. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

That is truly...magical.

19. interwebs macrumors member

Facetime is on if you don't disable it by signing on? I didn't realize. I didn't disable Ping yet or sign out of the store. However, I don't remember having to do that with any of the other units I'd used. This feels new and unfamiliar, but maybe I just never noticed it before on my previous ipad I had to return. I am not sure yet if the battery also drains quickly in normal use. It seems OK there so far considering how bright I often have the screen (I don't think I'm gettin 10 hours) but maybe everything is broken.

20. scarboni21 macrumors regular

Definitley something is up. I would try restoring it to see if that helps because it should last a month in stand by.

21. interwebs macrumors member

Great. Sounds like I'm in for another fun-filled adventure with Apple returns. Wonder how many units it'll take this time to get a good screen.

22. interwebs macrumors member

Okay so it seems like it relates to wifi somehow. I had wifi on, but not connected to any network, and over a period of about 4 or 5 hours today with it just sitting idle like last night, it didn't go down a single percent. What the heck?

23. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Magical? Legendary? For the next few minutes maybe. Now that Acer and Asus and Samsung (and Toshiba and Motorola and...) tablets have also put two batteries (or one that equals two in output) in their tablets the iPad isn't alone in 10 hours or more for useful time on a charge. In fact it's more like the standard now, with the next round of tablets all shooting for more. The Samsung 10.1 actually has a larger battery than the ipad, and for identical use should last another 10% longer.

24. xelaetaks macrumors member

Ill just say the battery seems to last less than it used to on my iPad1. Dont know why but with some games, downloading, web browsing is lasting me a couple hours . Ive been using my iPad most of the day since 2pm, 4 hours later it has 34% left, not bad but i feel like the battery used to last longer.

25. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Well. The battery is just one of the magical thing about the iPad.
    Of course there are lot of things added up together like the App Store, User interface and most important is the USER EXPERIENCE!!!! :rolleyes: