Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
I don't quite understand why everyone is getting worked up about the name. Apple's product lineup or how it's segmented really doesn't matter and all branding is to some extend subjective. Buy the phone that best fits your needs.

Someone asked if the phone runs AutoCad, for example, which I guess for him or her is a benchmark of what qualifies as "pro" device. Someone else, like me for example, sees the extended battery life as a "pro" feature, since I travel a lot. Or the fact that an 18W charger comes with it, so I can tap off quality when on the go.

Is it a "pro" device? Probably not for everyone, but maybe for some. It all depends on how you define "pro."

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
It is or it isn't. I don't really care as long as it fits my wants/needs. People get hung up too much on a name.

Reactions: iMi

grifftaur

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2015
I only honest ignore the "Pro" naming of the iPhone 11. This was Apple's way of distinguishing the 11 from the 11 pro. They didn't want to continue with the Xr name so that took on just being the 11.

Is the iPhone 11 Pro a "Pro" phone? Sort of because of what they updated with the camera. The new features of the camera system is intended to be for pro users of photography and videography, BUT any professional would not use that as their primary device for doing work. Which is why it goes back to being just marketing and nothing more. You're just getting an overall solid iPhone. Apple clearly had features they wanted, but wouldn't ready till 2020 so this is what they felt good about at this time.

Very possible next year the 2020 iPhone will be able to live up to the name for a lot of people.

I don't know if people considered the iPad Pro 9.7, 10.5/12.9 or 11/12.9 until Apple updated iPad OS to include features that for a lot of people now make it worthy of the name.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
This^^^

The iPad is meant to do that because it is specifically designed to be a work station. All those feature the iPad Pro has really does not need to be in a smart phone. A smart phone is to make calls, have in your pocket and the rest is just extra tools to have in a smart phone that fits in your pocket. Why would I want an Apple Pencil on a 5.8 inch screen? Useless.
The trouble is you started this thread declaring the iPhone pro to be 100% pro and justified that by listing arbitrary features - none of which were any more or less valid than the others in this thread.

In truth the whole thing is meaningless. As you admit, it’s just a smartphone and doesn’t need half the features people associate with other Apple “pro” devices, which is why calling it “pro” doesn’t really mean anything.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I own a XS Max. I really love the phone. I've pre-ordered an 11 Pro Max. It looks like a great phone, too.

But I don't understand these threads asserting either that there's no way that the 11 Pro is a "pro" camera, on the one hand, or that the 11 Pro is clearly a "pro" camera, on the other hand.

What's the definition of a "pro" phone? As far as I can tell, there isn't one. "Pro," in Apple-land, has become an increasingly vague marketing term over the last five years or so. I don't have a problem with using "pro" that way, but I don't see what value there is in trying to prove, or disprove, that the 11 Pro is a "pro" tool (other than perhaps to videographers, which is sort of ironic, since it's a phone).
[doublepost=1568660973][/doublepost]
The trouble is you started this thread declaring the iPhone pro to be 100% pro and justified that by listing arbitrary features - none of which were any more or less valid than the others in this thread.

In truth the whole thing is meaningless. As you admit, it’s just a smartphone and doesn’t need half the features people associate with other Apple “pro” devices, which is why calling it “pro” doesn’t really mean anything.

I think that's very well said. It's literally a meaningless exercise, on both sides.

Reactions: TechGod

Pinhead117

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2016
People are crying about just a little upgrade this year and what is so pro about this device, it’s just a refresh, same screen, blah blah blah.

What smart phone has a screen that is 2,000,000:1 contrast ratio? - only 11 pro
What smart phone is capable of 1200 Nita peak brightness? - only 11 pro
What smart phone is as water resistant at the 11 pro? (4 meters for 30 min?) - only 11 pro
What smart phone can record 4K 60fps with HDR? - only 11 pro
We’ll have to wait and see what the A13 chip can due but I’m fairly confident it’s the most powerful chip in any smart phone out to date
Ok triple camera systems are being used by a lot of smart phones. But I also fairly believe this will be the best camera set up in a smart phone to date. Even probably taking the pixels crown.

What’s not pro about this device? I think apple truly made the best smart phone on the planet with the 11 pro. Of course little features might be missing but people are not giving credit where credit is due.
Thank you for a wonderful point!

Reactions: Davidhedge

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Pro contrast.
Pro water resistance.
Pro camera.

It is indeed a Pro phone for those who are extra pro at being pro.

Last edited:

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
59C43861-1DD4-439E-8760-3D61A2FE7927.jpeg
I’ve decided to live a ProLife™️. I’m going to obtain the majority of my sustinence from Promax™️. Live your best life. We can GoPro™️ together. Phone and food in harmony. Let’s do it!!!

Reactions: user_xyz

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
Is this supposed to be an Apple damage control thread or something? 2019, and a "pro" phone without a stylus or a USB-C port? Come on, Tim Apple, do better!

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I was trying to decide between the iPhone 11 Professional or the iPhone 11 Professional Maximum. I’ve decided that I’m a Maximum guy. It becomes an easy decision when you realize you’re all Pro. Pro Max!

Stormclouds

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
I would be more convinced if it had an A13X, Apple Pencil compatibility, and maybe a few other creativity-oriented things. But I still think I'm going to love the phone and now that the Pro name is on the iPhone, it's something they can build on year after year.

UrbanGeek

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2015
DFW, Texas
I had a iPhone X....gave it to my wife because her 7 plus was having some problems like battery and speaker. I fixed that with a total reset. So yeah for me going from the X or 7 plus is a huge step up. I know a lot is under the hood but I like that. Some dont like the camera design but I do.

I had a Samsung Note 10+ for a few weeks. Thats a great phone but I had to go back to iPhone. Im looking forward to the Pro Max. Sure the Note 10+ has feature the iphone 11 Pro Max doesnt but nothing I will miss. Im looking forard to a better battery, the screen and cameras and the A13 chip. in my humble opinion its a great phone from what Apple showed off. Yeah the design is still the same.

Id like to see a slimmer and little taller phone

Killbynumbers

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
For those of us who actually work for a living, and use our iPhones during the course of our working days, I’d argue that every version has been a “Pro” model, not just these new 11 Pro models.
I use my phone for my job five days a week for phone calls and texts. That doesn't make it a pro. It's just a necessary tool for my job. It's helped me make money more times then I can count in the 27 years I've owned a cell phone.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Can it run AutoCad or Solidworks? No
Can it run Photoshop? No
Can it run FinalCut Pro or Adobe Premier? No
Can it run xCode or any programming environment? No

There is nothing Pro about this iPhone. By the way, Samsung Galaxy Note 10 pretty much do all of what you mentioned.
So you’re saying only people who use autocad, finalcut, photoshop, etc are considered pros?

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
It's is NOT a true Pro is the Back Telephoto image sensor pixel size remains at ONLY 1.0um, same as the 2016 7+.

Apple should have gone 10 Mpx 1.4um, same as the competition out in mid-Oct.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
The Pro branding is clearly a simple market segmentation.

Ever since the iPhone 8, Apple really wanted the regular customers to get the regular iPhone (in this case, the 11). Thus the branding of just iPhone 11. It is THE iPhone for 2019. The IPhone 11 Pro is the premium/cutting edge model for customers at the ultra premium segment. The XR and XS branding were a bit confusing because Apple already used the iPhone X in the previous year. This year, it’s more clear cut, and the bigger price gap between the 11 and 11 Pro shows the intention. Apple really want to segment their customers.

The same thing with the iPad and iPad Pro. The price difference between the regular iPad Air and the iPad Pro is huge.

Lucky for us, at least on the iPhone side, the iPhone 11 uses the same exact chip as the Pro. I can see Apple differentiating these segment even further in the future. I can see the regular iPhone getting milder refreshes each year, while the pro iPhone gets most of the bells and whistles (with the price tag as well)

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
What then makes the One Plus 7 "Pro?" The Huawei P20 and P30 "Pro?"

How about the $350 Redmi K20/Mi 9T "Pro?"

Pro doenst mean anything let's face the facts. When budget phones are called Pro the term no longer has any real meaning.

I love how the media jumps on Apple like they're the first ones to name a phone Pro with zero justification.

Reactions: Jimmy James

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
The iPhone Pro should atleast have USB C if its gonna claim its a pro device come on.

Why the hell does it start at 64GB? No Apple Pencil support? Why no higher refresh rates for the display?

Reactions: drinkingtea
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.