The iPhone 3G Is The Most Scratch-Prone Device I've Ever Used

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MICHAELSD, Jul 24, 2008.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

After checking out my iPhone 3G in direct light less than two weeks after I bought it, it's easy to notice a lot of decent-sized scratches on the back. I have a case on it when I'm not using it and I haven't brushed it against anything. I don't even keep it on tables without a case or the cloth that came with it. It's not really noticeable during normal use, but they're still there? Does anyone else notice their backs starting to get scratched up even after being extremely careful with it?

On my first-gen iPhone, I never even got a small scratch on the back, only one on the metal when I dropped it screen-first. Here's what my first-gen iPhone looked like after a year of using it a few hours a day:

[​IMG]

Here's some pictures of my two-week old iPhone 3G:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can click on the images to see extremely high-res versions of both. Take them for what their worth. It's hard to capture the scratches on camera since they only show up at certain angles under different angles, but they're definitely there. It might be a little hard to find the difference between the minor scratches the camera caught and finger prints and stuff that gets on it. I would've took more, but I didn't charge my camera enough for it to last to get a few more decent ones.

2. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

Thats part of the reason while im holding off one one until Apple improve the cases and partly being offput by looking at all the smudges on them in O2/CPW stores.. they get dirty so easily.. sick..

3. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

I think your post just pushed me over the fence to get the bodyguardz film before my iphone comes in. I knew it was a problem, but didn't think to compare the difference between both models (one gray, the other flush black).

4. strokesimon macrumors newbie

5. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

I like how it looks smooth but my 1st gen is actually slipperier and i like how hte old one fits in my hand.

ChrisN

6. pittster macrumors regular

I'm just glad I decided to keep my 1st Gen phone as a back-up, nearly Ebayed it, but can see my 3G ending up going back to Apple at some point in its life to be 'fixed' in one way or another, it just seems to be less well made.

My 1st Gen phone looks like yours, almost brand new, bought Nov last yr and used in my pocket every day until the 3G launch.

7. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

Anyone else out there have this problem?
    No pictures?
    To the OP, we all know that the gen 1 is scratch resistant.
    Your post talks about the 3g, but you post pics of your old phone?
    We need some proof please!

8. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Totally disagree. My 3G is perfectly fine and has zero scratches. Keep it in my pocket without keys or coins just like the 1st gen. If you're tossing it on a table or letting it contact other hard surfaces then what do you really expect?

9. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

The screen is one of the most scrach resistant surfaces I have ever seen.

The rest of it? I don't know, I have always put my iPhone into a protective case as soon as I got them, so I don't worry about it. As for the screen, it doesn't need protection.

10. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

Let us not forget the original plan for the iPhone screen was hardened plastic. Only later did they move to optical glass. If you're that concerned with the bezel and back of the phone you should use a case...or you could just accept that it will get some wear and enjoy that the screen simply does not scratch if you use your head and keep sharp stuff out of your pocket.

11. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I only posted my first-gen to show how well it held up and how well I take care of stuff, so you don't think that I scratched my iPhone 3G by misuse. I don't throw it on surfaces, I don't even let it rub against anything else without a cloth or something.

12. protekt0r macrumors regular

protekt0r

13. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

Or a 4th gen ipod (mono) either for that matter :)

14. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

Post a pic of the scratched 3G, please or else you have no cred.
    And if that original iPhone pic is recent, how come the box is in the background. Hmmmm

15. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I'm charging my camera now, I'll get some pictures up really soon.

16. ninethirty macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I wanna see what you did to it too, because I've had mine in my pocket for 2 weeks now and its in great shape... few tiny scratches here and there, but I bought it because of what it can do, not because I needed it shiny and brand new always. Reception was the reason for the switch to plastic. Function over Form is always acceptable.

17. cohenspire macrumors member

I carry my iPhone in my pocket everyday without a case. Not a single scratch is visible on the back, and I definitely don't plan to use a case besides the foofpod I have coming.

18. tony-in-japan macrumors regular

No, that title goes to...

2nd Generation iPod nano.

Even worse, the front screen scratched as easily as the back!

At least on the iPhone 3G, the screen is quite scratch-proof from my experience so far. If you have a white model, I suppose small scratches are hard to see unless you ‘pixel-peep’ it!

Like getting a haircut, who cares what the back looks like... as long as the front looks good! :D

19. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

BTW, that's because I kept the box...

That was one of the pictures I used when I sold it on eBay on July 9, adding the box to the picture adds a few extra dollars to the auction's end price.

20. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Sorry, but if you look closely - you've got scratches. ;)

I thought I was doing well with my launch-day white iPhone, besides the few scratches on the Apple logo - but upon closer inspection, the back is heavily scratched. By 'heavily' I mean there are numerous tiny scratches - not visible unless you REALLY study the back, in perfect lighting - but they're there. The chrome bezel is also scratched (again, very small scratches, but quite a few of them) ...

At least the screen is perfect. :)

21. thirdeyeopen666 macrumors 6502

thirdeyeopen666

Totally puzzling... my 3G (white) shows no scratches, and the back truly seems less scratchable. My original iPhone's back was not exactly beat up, but definitely showed scratches from wear and it was always kept in my pocket with absolutely nothing else. I'm extremely impressed with the build quality of the 3G, especially after reading all the negative comments about it on here.

22. wronski macrumors 6502

23. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

24. donmei macrumors regular

I guess for some of you, phones are objects of affection. That usually lasts for the first 2 weeks for me. After 2 weeks its just a tool.

I'm using my Blackberry to crack lobster shells as I write this.

Don

25. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I seem to have a scratch on the apple on the back if I really look closely. I'm sad :( But I haven't been able to obtain a case so I'm not surprised