Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I have to think someone got fired for the iPhone 4 nonsense. I know the previous iPhones had some issues (parts of the touch screen would stop working on gen 1, plastic would break on gen 2, dust under the glass etc etc), but boy did the iPhone 4 just kill my admiration of Apple's QC.

I experienced all the above issues with my previous iPhones, but my list of issues with the iPhone 4 is just... epic.

1.) It gets released in June, and the earpiece was very crackly, so I had to exchange it.
2.) Bluetooth headsets just don't work on release firmware - everyone said I sounded like I was under water when I used my Motorola H720 headset. Pretty common issue, addressed in iOS 4.1. But....
3.) iOS 4.1 is released to fix some people's (NOT mine) proximity sensor issues and the BT headset issues. 4.1 fixed the BT headset issue, but completely broke my proximity sensor so I continually muted/hung up on people the whole time.
4.) iOS 4.2.1 comes out, further tweaking the proximity sensor, so my phone is "usable" now, though not perfect.

That's quite the timeline of issues. I have to wonder what on earth happened here? I was never really affected by the antenna nonsense because I use a case, but still - that's another issue to some extent....

In any case, I love the screen etc on the iPhone 4, but there's no question in my mind that the iPhone 4 was heavily broken when it came out, and it's a shame!

Just thought sharing..

SashaFierce

Aug 18, 2009
Please do not come on MacRumors to vent about you experience with your iPhone. You simply had bad luck in terms of getting a good phone. I'm sure %99.9 of the users on here will disagree with you. The iPhone 4 is the best iPhone yet, and easily the best smartphone ever made!

Stein357

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Rip City
My original iPhone 4 had problems with the headphone jack right out of the box, but I have not had any bluetooth or proximity problems.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
Hey, you forgot about the easily breakable glass in the front and back.
You also forgot about the massive 'antennagate' issue they had.
And the other issues it has..lol

I think any device is gonna have minor issues, but i agree it seems like the iPhone 4 had the worst issues out of all of the iPhones. The media likes a failure in a long string of successes, and they sure made use of that with the iPhone 4.
Well, the person in charge of the antenna design of the iPhone 4 has been fired/left Apple, so we'll hopefully see a properly redesigned model for the iPhone 5.

MichXP

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2011
Please do not come on MacRumors to vent about you experience with your iPhone. You simply had bad luck in terms of getting a good phone. I'm sure %99.9 of the users on here will disagree with you. The iPhone 4 is the best iPhone yet, and easily the best smartphone ever made!

Just because YOU don't want to read someone's vent, doesn't mean someone else, including myself, finds this non-worthy of reading. Please get off your high horse.

@OP, I'm sorry for your issues, and I'm sure you're not the only one. I don't use a bluetooth headset, but if and when I do, I'll definitely keep this in mind.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Just because YOU don't want to read someone's vent, doesn't mean someone else, including myself, finds this non-worthy of reading. Please get off your high horse.

@OP, I'm sorry for your issues, and I'm sure you're not the only one. I don't use a bluetooth headset, but if and when I do, I'll definitely keep this in mind.

Hey thanks for the support. :)

I actually love the iPhone 4, but it kills me how disappointed I am with it. It's pretty easy to be soured by something when it continues to disappoint for a while. Be aware the BT issue is now solved, and has been solved since iOS 4.1.

For those that say it's "just my issues," let's not forget that Steve Jobs personally addressed the BT issues and the proximity sensor issues during his Keynote speeches.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America

Best iPhone yet? Yes it is.
Easily the best smartphone ever made? No. It's lacking a lot things which should have been there since day 1, specifically iOS.
Check out the competition before you make a statement like that.

Apple has a lot of work they need to do regarding iOS. Look at the topic called "Apple, please fix your software" for more details.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
So the purpose of this thread is? are you warning others? bored? as far as we know Steve Jobs is not a member of the forum.

The purpose of your post is? It never fails that if you want to express disappointment in an Apple product, MacRumors is NOT the place to do so. I'll make sure to create another thread where I do nothing but praise the iDevices. :rolleyes:

Again, I was expressing some thoughts. You don't have to agree/disagree, but you can also not bother to post if you have nothing useful to say.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I'm not sure why some people are defending Apple on this one.
Yes, it's a problem. No, it doesn't happen to everyone.

ozred

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
I'm not sure why some people are defending Apple on this one.
I know, because they do as they're told by Uncle Steve, worship Apple at all costs.

I however _know_ that Apple is capable of much better work than this crappy phone. I've been around long enough to see Apples finest work and this is _not_ it.

Time to pull your head out & get it right Apple.

Russiaone

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
I was thinking the same thing the OP was. I never had any problems with my my iPhone 3 or 3GS. NONE.

I had the Home button problem on my launch iPhone 4. It got so bad I finally had to take it to exchange it.

Now, with this newer unit, I get moments where I'll make a call and the phone simply hangs, until I have to reboot the system. I'll be selecting apps and the screen will go haywire. So I agree with the OP that, for he and I anyway, this phone is the best (spec, design, and screen) and the worst (quality) ever released by Apple.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
I also agree with the OP. I went through 4 iPhone 4's before I got one that works well. And it turns out it is the Verizon iPhone. I am having no issues with this phone. It just took Apple 9 months, give or take, to make an iPhone 4 I can say is great.

Rooftop voter

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2010
I totally agree with you OP. I love this thing and hate it at the same time. The screen and camera is absolutely awesome, but the proximity sensor is horrible. I had it replaced about 3 weeks after launch day, and it was virtually the same. My 3GS never had an issue at all. I'm just glad I text way more than I talk or this thing would have been gone long ago.

Tears Apart

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2009
Outside Closer
I couldn't be happier instead, never had an issue and loving it since day 1.

BTW what do you expect to accomplish by venting in this forum? If you don't like your iPhone return it or sell it and shut up.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I also agree with the OP. I went through 4 iPhone 4's before I got one that works well. And it turns out it is the Verizon iPhone. I am having no issues with this phone. It just took Apple 9 months, give or take, to make an iPhone 4 I can say is great.
That's the problem with buying the first gen of anything. Part of the reason I held of getting the iPhone 4. Should have all that crap ironed out by the next release though.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
That's the problem with buying the first gen of anything. Part of the reason I held of getting the iPhone 4. Should have all that crap ironed out by the next release though.

What do you mean by "buying the first gen of anything"? Are you saying to wait a few months after the device comes out so that all the bugs are sorted out?
By "next release" do you mean the iPhone 5?

Apple knows that they need to make a really amazing phone this summer with a superb OS to go with it. Otherwise we'll start to see a downward trend for the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.