The iPhone 5 still a good phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TechGod, Sep 11, 2014.

1. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

If I manage to save up enough money I'll buy an iPhone 6+ but if for some reason I can't, my dad has offered to give me his iPhone 5 for free. Is that a good deal?

2. lysola macrumors member

Is a free phone a good deal? Answer's kinda obvious. Especially since it's a newer-gen iPhone at that. If this was me, I'm just taking the freebie and letting it run its course until the 6+ is cheaper. You get the best of both worlds that way.

3. jdblas69 macrumors regular

Free is always a good deal!

I am still using a iPhone 5 and it has been a great phone, no problems what so ever, really rock solid. I was thinking of upgrading to the 6 but just cant seem to convince myself that I need too since the 5 still to me feels like a very adequate phone.

4. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

I just sold my iPhone 5 to fund the 6Plus. It was a great phone reform launch day until I sold it. If you take the 5 take it to apple and see if they will replace the sleep button and the battery. They did that for my iPhone 5 a few weeks before I sold it. It was running great and I never felt like the phone was sluggish or lacking in any way.

5. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

The iPhone 5 did not stop being a good phone because another model came out.

6. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

A phone for free has to be a good deal for anyone who wants an iPhone and doesn't have one...

Another option would be to trade in the 5 or sell it and then fund the difference if it helps you get the 6Plus.

7. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

It's 2 years old and may only get one more iOS version. I'll be keeping any phone I have for two years so...

----------

Maybe I could sell my current phone as well.

8. greenbreadmmm macrumors regular

Its a great phone!

you know, i realized this is the first time my current phone was not only usable but not even slow when my 2 years was up. I remember back when the 5 came out my 4 was crashing and hanging left and right. So yes, the 5 is defintiely still a good phone.... having said that my battery life is terrible and that is the main reasoning i am upgrading asap.

so in summation, battery is poo poo, but it is still a fast little phone

9. yep-sure macrumors 6502

yep-sure

I couldn't agree with this more. I remember leading up to Pre-Order day for the 5, I couldn't wait because my 4 was so slow and sluggish, I couldn't stand it anymore.

This time around, apart from the battery, the phone runs fantastic and I have no reason to upgrade. I'll be holding onto the 5 until it dies. Probably my favourite iPhone, even though it's had some issues.

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Why would your plan for a free 2-year old phone be the same as for a brand new one you'd pay for?

Why not take the 5 now and then buy yourself a 6S next year? More time to save and then you don't have to care about how well the 5 will run on iOS 9.

11. fathergll macrumors 6502a

If your financial situation is so bad that you need to save up money for a phone then you're foolish for not taking a free one. No wonder everyone is in debt.....

12. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

iPhone 5 is maybe the best. I'm getting a 6, but I'm weary of going to the bigger size. I still like the size of the 5, and that's the only year with the black, which I like better than Space Gray.

13. M87 macrumors 65816

The iPhone 5 is as good as fathergll is presumptuous.

14. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

The iPhone 5 with A6 and 1GB RAM performs well with iOS 7 but we still don't know what it'll be like with iOS 8. Hopefully, it'll at least maintain the same performance level.

The iPhone 4, I kept on iOS 5 and iPhone 4S on iOS 6. So far, my experience has been it's the 2nd major iOS update that kills performance so I tend to not update to that. It seems like the A6 has quite some room to grow though. It'll be a pleasant surprise if there are no slowdowns with iOS 8.

15. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Certainly not. Historically, however, the two year mark is where I have noticed heavy performance differences.

That said, this is a question about a free phone. The 4S is fine too, especially if free.

16. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

Nice assumptions made. I'm 16, saving up for a phone because I can, my parents are more than capable to purchase it for me, I don't like to be a burden especially since I got a rMBP for my birthday.

My parents are very successful. Please don't make assumptions.

----------

Ummm because when I get a phone I keep it for two years. I just do. I don't keep contracts so I may get an upgrade from the 5. I don't know.

17. warriorz macrumors regular

It's an excellent phone. Just check it's not one of the batch that Apple recently acknowledged had a battery fault. You enter your (dad's) iPhone 5 serial number on Apple's support page. Even without the fault, battery life is the only limiting factor of the iPhone 5, not terrible but pretty average (some say bad). It is inconvenient, plugging it in regularly.

18. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

Take the 5, save money for something of actual importance

19. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

He wasn't making assumptions about your parents. Rather, about you. By your own admission, it didn't seem like he was far off. You sound like you can't afford it, right?

----------

Whatever makes you happy. As others pointed out, finances don't seem to be your stronger suit.

20. andyACEcandy macrumors 6502a

Would your dad be mad if you sold the iPhone 5 and used the money to buy the iPhone 6? Lol....

21. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

Why would he?

22. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

No, it's not. They've now activated the obsolescence chip.

23. lyceumHQ macrumors 6502a

lyceumHQ

I have an iPhone 5. It's coming up to two years old.

It's still just as fast as the day I took it out of the box.

No lag. No slowing. Nothing.

The iPhone 5 is IMHO still a great phone.

How it runs on iOS 8 remains to be seen but I've have loved every minute of owning it. And I still do.

24. kerbero9 macrumors member

I used to upgrade every year. IMO, the early iPhone generations felt like true upgrades. The technology was moving so fast between the hardware and software advancements that you really could "feel" the upgrade.

I've had the 5 since launch and have never once felt like I needed to upgrade. I think we have gotten to the point where it's just good enough. The 5 ticked all the major boxes (LTE being the big one). I experience no lag whatsoever, LTE is as fast as my wifi at home, the whole phone is snappy and just works great. I can carry it comfortably in my hand when I run, operate it with one hand when the other one is full, and it fits great in my pocket.

As a side note: I installed IOS 8 GM on it last night and it runs just as smooth (dare I say smoother!) than IOS 7.1.2. A great phone that has a lot of legs left in it! Take it and enjoy it!

25. fathergll macrumors 6502a

No assumptions made. You started a thread stating that you don't have enough money for a iPhone 6 and asked if it's a good deal to get an iPhone 5 for free.

I know if I didn't have $400 in my checking account I'd probably consider taking a free iPhone 5. Call me crazy