The iPhone 5 Wishlist/Predictions Thread

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JASApplications, Dec 2, 2010.

1. JASApplications macrumors 65816

Nov 24, 2010
    Scarborough, United Kingdom

What are your predictions/wishlist for the next Gen iPhone?

Also what do you expect it to be called? iPhone 4G,5,5G??

2. arctic macrumors 6502a

Jun 18, 2008
    Lots of threads like this already but since "new" is sometimes better, I'll bite:

64gb - very likely. The 4 retained the maximum capacity of the 3GS @ 32gb; Apple is moving forward.
    8 megapixel with better quality optics/sensor (to compete against the 12 megapixel camera phones showing up these past months and more next year)
    Better iOS - it works like a charm despite shortcomings but Apple has lots of stuff in their hats.
    Notifications - Come on. Fans have been begging for the ability to customize their SMS, Email etc. tones. Apple answered us by giving us this freedom with our call tones. It's time to bring it further.
    Free Mobile Me :)
    White will finally arrive (not that I care)
  3. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

Dec 20, 2009
    Just two major improvements, a 4.0" display and a phone that functions properly.

I trust that Apple has learned it's lesson from the iPhone 4 debacle known as antennagate, and will do a better job of engineering the next model.
  4. JulianL macrumors 65816

Feb 2, 2010
    London, UK
    Firstly they have to build on a rock solid foundation so they need to make sure that the basics are right:

1) Perfect proximity sensor with no remaining issues.
    2) Bury antenna-gate for good with a best-in-class antenna performance and reliability.
    3) Hold onto the superb form factor they achieved with the iPhone 4 so no retreat from that in terms of needing to get thicker (due to making the antennae internal again) and, if the screen gets any bigger, then only do it be reducing the size of the surround not by increasing the case dimensions.

As for additions then my essential one is an increase in maximum capacity to 64GB. My next most important would be as much increase in battery life as they can manage; one can never have too much battery life and they seem to have got 20% to 30% improvements with each of the 3GS and the 4 releases so I hope that they can do that again with the 5.

I'd be happy with the above but I suppose that I wouldn't say no to a better camera and, although I doubt that the infrastructure will be there to fully use it in 2011, I suppose that if Apple add NFC capabilities in 2011 then that will help spur on the infrastructure so that by the iPhone 6 it might be a really valuable capability to have in a phone.

- Julian
  5. arctic macrumors 6502a

Jun 18, 2008
    Bigger Screen Impossible?

I'm salivating looking at the bigger screens of the Androids using the latest screen technology of Samsung coined Super AMOLED (apparently they even have Super AMOLED 2 coming) so I'm all for the wish of having a bigger screen. But I've read sometime back here about this discussion that it's impossible for Apple to increase the size of the iPhone 3.5" screen because of the App development community and the SDK. I remembered being mentioned that if Apple increases the screen size, all the app developers will have to rewrite their apps again to support the bigger size. I'm not really particular about the details but perhaps a tech savvy member can explain it. This was way back before the iPhone 4's retina display but now that we have retina display supported apps, I wonder if this screen limitation dilemma is gone and Apple can finally increase the iPhone screen size. Nevertheless, I'm fine with the 3.5 inch if it'll retain.
  6. JASApplications thread starter macrumors 65816

Nov 24, 2010
    Scarborough, United Kingdom
    Personally I would say the screen is fine as it is, in my opinion the best screen on the smartphone market. I would be worried that if they increased the size of it, it wouldn't be as portable, you can't just slip it in and out of a tight pocket.
  7. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Aug 10, 2010
    Such an original post.... how did you come up with such a unique topic?

i4 is fine, no such thing as "antennagate", Size is perfect. Screen is awesome.

Boost in speed (really AT&T's issue not apple's), Verizon iPhone so we can finally put those whiners to bed, and..... well that's it for i5.
  8. kawasakirider macrumors regular

Oct 15, 2010
    I think there will be refinements to the iOS, not a completely new one. I love the iPhone os, it's great.

Upgrade memory size to 64gb

I think it will visually be the same is the ip4. I don't see the necessity of changing the screen size, the screen is brilliant and an extra 1.25cm wouldn't be much different. If they did increase the size, people will whinge that it's still not big enough.

Definitely camera improvement, one of the reasons I'm keeping my 4 in pristine condition, so I can sell and get the 5.

It's somewhat annoying that you can't delete selected calls. Doesn't really bother me though, I just don't see why apple hasn't implemented it? Maybe jobs is on a mission to combat debauchery amongst iPhone users lol. This might change.

I'd like to see a battery that can cop constant all day use and still have enough battery to go into the next day.

Ohhhh and I hope they do something about highlighting text. Sometimes it's a huge pain in the ass to highlight correctly and put the cursor in the right spot when you are trying to highlight from a certain point.
  9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Jun 30, 2008
    Exactly, more like overblown media hype...
  10. throne macrumors newbie

Dec 23, 2009
    I think we'll see something similar that they did with the 3Gs. Speed improvements, better camera, etc. I think an iPhone that will be 4G compatible will be released the following year. 3G was already established when the iPhone 3G came out. I feel that 4G will take some time before Apple is comfortable pushing out a phone that uses the technology.
  11. hcho3 macrumors 68030

May 13, 2010
    They will add these things.

1. More Ram
    2. Faster Processor
    3. More Storage
    4. Better Camera for 1080P movie recording.
    5. Probably 1 more hardware to take gaming even further.

They will not add any thing more than that. They already took a big leap forward with iPhone 4. They will not take huge leap forward for a while.
  12. LyndaP macrumors member

Aug 7, 2010
    If Apple fixes the bluetooth connection so I can use my bluetooth headset to speak to someone AND have them be able to hear and understand me at the same time I'll buy the new phone even if I'm not upgrade eligible! Is that too much to ask?
  13. hcho3 macrumors 68030

May 13, 2010
    Yes. It is a lot to ask. If they fix all of your issues and meet up with your expectations, then how can they make you buy more products in the future?
  14. testcard macrumors 68030

Apr 13, 2009
    Northumbria, UK
    What! Have I missed something? I'm still following predictions for iPhone 4.
  15. map1978 macrumors 68020

Feb 9, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    I know it wont happen, but a little LED notification on the phone, like a Blackberry

Also won't happen, but I'd like to see 2 audio speakers for better surround sound
  16. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Nov 10, 2010
    Not much point in making a "5", then, if it's perfect the way it is.:confused:

4" screen and I'm in. They'd also kill the rest of the market. I was really disappointed the iP4 didn't squeak out even a slightly larger screen (and why I kept my 3GS). It seems positively tiny next to the competition now. As everyone says, 4" is the sweet spot. 'course if they still retain that squarish chunky shape, 4" will not be pretty.
  17. Mugambo macrumors 6502

Jul 4, 2009
    How about letting me hold it my way?

Hmmm.. If we have anything to learn from iPhone 4, how about letting the user hold it however the fork they like to hold it without restrictions?? Then we can discuss laser weapons on an iPhone. Let it first serve its primal purpose as a 'Phone'. :rolleyes:
  18. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

May 8, 2008
    I agree with the 64GB and I read that earlier this year before the iP4 came out that the iP5 will have a 8MP camera I hope it shoots 1080p. Notifications should see an upgrade, Rich Dellinger is who invented Palm’s webOS notifications is working for Apple now. So we should see a better notifications system.

IMO were going to get new maps in iOS 5. Apple bought two mapping companies, Poly9 and Placebase. I also see streaming music from iTunes in iOS 5 since Apple bought Lala.
  19. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

Jul 15, 2010
    Northeast Ohio
    lol....I always forget that when some people dont have the problem, they assume it doesnt happen to anyone and doesnt exist.
  20. Alaerian Guest

Jan 6, 2005
    A barstool, Innis & Gunn in hand
    You, I like. =D
  21. antster94 macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2010
    London, UK
    The only hardware upgrades I'm seeing is a bigger screen, better camera and more memory. I think it may be called iPhone HD.
  22. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

Apr 5, 2010
    Houston, TX
    will you be surprised when the next iPhone looks similar to the 4?
  23. JNegron macrumors newbie

Dec 2, 2010
    iPhone 5 - July 2011?

Was on the phone with AT&T for approx 2 hrs dealing with adding family members, etc to my account, adding hardware and so on... Rep actually went into detail as to what information they were given shortly after the iPhone 4 was released about the iPhone 5's launch next summer.

She said based on the schedule they relayed to her, and her frustration in buying an iPhone 4 herself right before this information was made available to her sales team, the iPhone 5 is scheduled around July next summer. As soon as I started asking more in depth questions, she clammed up, but all the same our mutual frustration with the process of going through my account changes resulted in a blurting of much previously assumed information.

This timeline has probably already been stated here before, but figured I'd pass the information along.
  24. wordoflife macrumors 604

Jul 6, 2009
    Faster processor
    Better camera
    Same RAM
    Same Screen
    Not much customization in iOS 5.
    I also Apple will quadruple check the phone for issues.

I don't think it will be a very big update, since iPhone 4 was pretty big.

I hear by then, phones will have dual core processors. While I don't expect Apple to do that, they certainly will up - it - up a bit
  25. Merkie macrumors 68020

Oct 23, 2008
    A bigger screen isn't gonna happen. iOS is all about the user interface, and Apple doesn't think in pixels but in inches (or centimeters if they're really smart ;) ). A button in iOS corresponds to a certain size in the real world, and that's how iOS is designed. The SDK is based on that. Increasing the screen size will result in huge buttons or developers having to rewrite pretty much EVERY app out there.