Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Usually people upgrade either when new designs come out or when the proper version of the new design (the "S" model) comes out.

It is wise for those who are happy with their 5S to wait until the 6S, when Apple will add the Sapphire screen, bump up the specs slightly, maybe add 4k video camera, assuming having the latest and greatest isn't a priority and the screen size is a non-factor.

However, if you are not keen on the design of the 6, then be prepared to wait 2 years to upgrade when the 7 comes out with an all new design...then hope it's one you like.

Not sure what the problem is with the design, it looks just about like every other iPhone with a little extra rounding on the edges (which makes it ok to hold without cutting yourself). The bands on the back aren't any more strange/weird looking than the bits of glass on the 5/5S models, IMO.

If it's the size that's the problem, then the 5S may be the last iPhone you own because I can 100% guarantee you that Apple isn't coming out with any phones under 4.7 inches ever again.

BigCanoe

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2003
For some folks it makes financial sense to keep the 5s a while longer. As if cell phones EVER make financial sense haha.

HeyKatie

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2012
I will more than likely be upgrading from a 4s this weekend and have decided to go with the 5s because of my finances right now and also Virgin is giving me $75 off the price of a new phone and letting me keep my old plan!! The only thing that sucks is that nowhere has 32gb models in stock and I cannot have them ordered in :'(

brent1977

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
Sticking with my 5S because I prefer the 4" screen. If there were more of a difference in hardware than just screen size, I might be more tempted to upgrade.

Also have 4S as backup.

sflomenb

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2011
I'm sticking with the 5s because I still have a year under contract and I can't upgrade until it's over. I'm happy with my phone except for the battery life.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
I currently have a 16GB 5S and I got my 64GB 6 today. I buy my phones unlocked and I am not sure if this is worth the upgrade. Having more storage is definitely nice but I may just keep rolling with my 5S until next year.

Broadus

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Upstate SC
Anyone still hanging around in the 4S club? It's a little like the illuminati in that we've been around for a long time and we're a bit forgotten about. Frankly, we're happy back here looking on from a distance, perfectly content while yall shell out money for the next big thing. We'll gladly eat up the scraps of your 5S's that you leave behind.

I've had my 4S for almost 3 years and it's going strong. I may get a 5 or 5S if one comes along and hand my 4S off to my wife who couldn't care less about technology.

tritonxl

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2014
I'm in the 5S club because my 6 plus didn't come in today. 5 minutes after preorder gets me nothing.

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
I got a 5S today.

If the 6 would have had Sapphire glass, i'd have jumped on it. Almost perfect scratch proofing at last.

The "S" cycle is always the better one in the sense they seem to last longer. Not quite sure why that is. People still happily using the 4S.

Because its not true. Every iPhone besides the original (1/3G) have supported 4 iOs versions. iPhone 4 lasted as long as the 3GS and with last as long as the 4S.

If there is one iPhone that might get supported longer then 4 iOs versions, I think it will be the iPhone 5. We are on the third year with the same amount of Ram. Apple will probably still drop support for the iPhone 5 with iOs 10 as its 32 bit and apple has sort of set up a rhythm of 4 years of support.

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
The iphone 5S is an amazing phone. I think this was the last one that Steve Jobs build. ( well help them design )

Also the back is more nicer than the new iphone 6.

Overall the iphone 5S is great and you can type with one hand while holding something with the other, I don't think that is possible with the new iphones

With ios 8 you have an updated phone.

I have stored all the iphones since the first one, I like to keep always the S version, and sometimes I keep using my iphone 4S because it is unlocked.

All the iphones are great phones.

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Prefer the "s" cycle. It's the phone Apple should have released during redesign. 5s is a fantastic phone, hope to use it for several more years.

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
I bought a 5S last week from Craigslist since people are dumping them for so cheap. :apple: I love new iPhone season. It's a lovely upgrade to my now-two years old iPhone 5.

Christian 5G

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2010
Orange County, CA
After playing around with 6 and 6plus I wasn't really impressed and I am very proud of it that (although i liked the screen size that was pretty impressive to me) I don't want to spend money on newest tech.. I love my 5s and I will give it another year untill it retires :)

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
iPhone 5 here! Can I join? My contract is up on January, but I'm not sure it makes sense for me upgrade then money-wise. I'm also not sure about the design until I can hold a store model or someone's. With what reviews have been saying size-wise I'm not too sure. I may consider the 5s to get something newer and with Touch ID.

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Just upgraded the 5s to iOS 8. Clean install. Working great. This is what I like most about Apple, the backwards support for several years, usually works just fine.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
So, who is staying in the iPhone 5S club?

Just typing that I realise it sounds like S-Club... okay so everyone's moving over to the 6 or 6 Plus now? :p

Anyway, I'm staying as an iPhone 5S club member. For a couple of reasons and was wondering if anyone was thinking the same as me?

• I haven't had my 5s for that long, not quite been a year yet
  • Not keen on the 6/6 Plus design like the corners and design on the back
  • Costs a lot of money for a brand new phone (granted most phones are expensive anyway)
  • Happy on my current contract as is

Anyone else's thoughts?

Prior to the event, I was set on the 6+. Went to Apple today, and OMG!, the 6+ was ginormous. The 6 is a good size, but the design was unimpressive. I have a 4S now. I've decided to acquire my mother's Gold 5S and have her choose between the 6/6+. The only issue is her 5S is 16GB.

Now, If I had to choose between the 6/6+, it would be a 6. The colors also look bland and the gold wasn't as impressive on the 6/6+ as it is on the 5S.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
For the reasons why many people didn't upgrade the iPhone 5 to the 5s, I think it doesn't make sense to go to the 5s to the 6. Cost, is probably the biggest reason.

Though it seems the differences between the 5s to the 6 seem bigger and could be tempting :)

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Selling 5S now, while it's still worth money and buying a 6. Sell the 6 next year when the 6S arrives.

Or

Sell the 5S next year while it has lost a lot value and go straight to 6S.

How big would the spending difference actually be?

tvbi

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2004
Selling 5S now, while it's still worth money and buying a 6. Sell the 6 next year when the 6S arrives.

Or

Sell the 5S next year while it has lost a lot value and go straight to 6S.

How big would the spending difference actually be?

This calculation is with a 7% tax rate.

New iPhone 6: $695
Selling iPhone 5S: -$325
Paying a difference of $370
New iPhone 6S: $695
Selling iPhone 6: -$375 (6 and 6S will look the same so doesn't lose value as much)
Paying a difference of $320

Total cost of new iPhone every year: $690

New iPhone 6S: $695
Selling iPhone 5S: $200

Total cost for waiting until next year to upgrade: $495

About a $195 difference :)

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Anyone still hanging around in the 4S club? It's a little like the illuminati in that we've been around for a long time and we're a bit forgotten about. Frankly, we're happy back here looking on from a distance, perfectly content while yall shell out money for the next big thing. We'll gladly eat up the scraps of your 5S's that you leave behind.

Haha well, now that you mention it yes. I confess, I'm still using my 4s sadly. I wanted a 6 but between the bend thing and lack of ram update, I'm either going to hang onto this relic for awhile longer or join the 5s club. I'm even considering Android at this point.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I never cared for a 4.7" screen as I maintain that it'll be too big. The moto x is the only phone of that size that is one-handable. Apple's is the largest 4.7" phone out there.

That's the iphone 6's flagship feature. Since I don't care about that, I'll hang onto my 5s and ride it out for as long as I can. Eventually I'll have to convert to a bigger screen I'm sure.

And I'll still look at the iphone 6 in person. Aftewards who knows, I may completely reverse course but I'm not planning on it because of the size.

I agree. If I wasn't upgrading from a 4 I would keep a 5s indefinitely. I initially thought the 6 is a bit too big, and while it has its upside, I also maintain that the phone is too big. I've been using it for a few weeks now.

FoxD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
I thought I was going to be in the 5s club but man, once you get the 6 Plus, there is no going back. The 5s looks so small and the screen very dated compared to the 6 and 6 Plus. The extra contrast ratio and curved glass makes the 6 really pop. The 5 really shrinks once you use the 6 or Plus for a couple of weeks. It's crazy.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
So, who is staying in the iPhone 5S club?

Just typing that I realise it sounds like S-Club... okay so everyone's moving over to the 6 or 6 Plus now? :p

Anyway, I'm staying as an iPhone 5S club member. For a couple of reasons and was wondering if anyone was thinking the same as me?

• I haven't had my 5s for that long, not quite been a year yet
  • Not keen on the 6/6 Plus design like the corners and design on the back
  • Costs a lot of money for a brand new phone (granted most phones are expensive anyway)
  • Happy on my current contract as is

Anyone else's thoughts?

I should be getting my 5S in Nov. I'll wait to upgrade to the 6S, maybe even 7.

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
I probably should've got a 5S instead of the 6 (upgraded from a 4S), as the 6 made one-handed usage difficult. But now that I have a 6 and I'm past the 14 day return window, I don't want a downgrade in specs and am going to stick with the 6 for now.

I especially like the camera, though I probably would've been happy with the 5S as the 6 is only a marginal improvement, but I really like that most of the video I shoot is at 1080P @ 60FPS.

128GB is hard to give up. I was already feeling the limits of 64GB, and have wanted more for years.

I doubt we'll see a new small phone from Apple in 2015. At best we might see a "6C" that is just a revamped 5S (like the 5C is a revamped 5), though even that seems unlikely.

In the meantime, I'm keeping an eye on Android phones (I always do anyway). It's looking like the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact is a good device for those who like the size of the 5S, while having a larger screen than the 5S. A few things that turn me off (unlocking bootloader disables some camera functionality, Baidu spyware), but I hope to see a trend of flagship-level performance in smaller phones, so maybe a clear small phone winner will emerge on the Android side.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.