The iPhone 6 - The worst iPhone i've ever owned.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dannys1, Sep 1, 2015.

1. dannys1 Suspended

dannys1

The iPhone 6, Apple's most successful iPhone ever - and i'm looking at it right now, practically loathing. Its the worst iPhone i've ever owned and i've had everyone since the minute the first one was released in the UK. I appreciate the power and the smoothness with which the iPhone 6 runs iOS but then so did the much smaller iPhone 5S so nothing has really changed there. But the design, oh Jony, this is your worst ever. Its ugly, its too big, it has a protruding camera, the space grey is really silver, those antenna lines are just appalling, its too slippy to hold and it just feels like its lost its soul of an Apple product and looks like a generic handset.

If I were to list the iPhones in order of favouritism they'd go.

1. iPhone 5 (Even though the paint was fundamentally flawed and thus it shouldn't be first, there was just something about the shape and design coupled with that slate grey colour which I looked on in awe of for ages, it was beautiful)
    2. iPhone 4 (A true design icon, this thing was beautiful on release and still is now)
    3. iPhone 4S (Only because it was the above but better)
    4. iPhone 5S (It was my favourite phone at the time and one id be very happy to be still using to this day and am considering going back to)
    5. iPhone (The first was truly magical at the time, like nothing else id held in my hand or used, sure 8 years later it looks limited as hell, even a year later it did, but my even the swipe gestures blew me away at the time)
    6. iPhone 3GS (It was fast for its time and I enjoyed having it white, it was just no where near the design levels of the 4th and 1st)
    7. iPhone 3G (I was disappointed to be replacing the original iPhone with this at the time to be honest, it felt like a massive cost cutting handset made of plastic, I grew to get used to it, but its near the bottom for a reason)
    8. iPhone 6 - yeah my least favourite for all the reasons above and below.
    Further more, i've never used any of the above phones with a case and now I feel its a necessity with the iPhone 6 design. Its too big and its too slippy - I keep trying to remember to remove it from my pocket when I sit in the car, but nope, I always forget and it always falls out and slips down the impossible to reach chair sides, arghhhh. I know a cover would help some of this slippy-ness (as would super skinny jeans all the kids wear to almost literally shrink wrap the phone to their legs) but I don't see why I should have to add a case, i've never liked cases, i've never used a case on any of the phones before and they were all fine, but not this one - in fact this is the first phone that i've ever dropped and broken the screen on too. 8 years of iPhone and this is the first i've broken...

Unfortunately I think its the end of iPhone's i'll love - Apple has bowed to mass opinion and to be honest the masses are never right about anything, they like Britain's Got Talent, the X-Factor and Justin Bieber, they also like massive phones, especially people under the age of 20 who consume their entire lives on a phone. I'm 30, so I still use a Macbook for 95% of what I do and my Apple Watch seems to cover the mobile 4% which leaves me barely ever looking at my phone.

I'll admit, i'm one of the ones who bitter about the size increase - Id have accepted 4.2" because on the debut of iOS7, I'll admit that with the full screen keyboard AND the faster typing suggestions above it, that the 4" screen was starting to struggle. But to be honest, I could live with this now, with Whatsapp web I literally never text from my phone, its not something I enjoy doing so Facebook, Whatsapp and iMessage are all done from the Macbook.

I'd honestly pay £200-£300 more than the cost of the iPhone 6S+ for a 4" phone format with the same specs. I know the real difficulty is making a power house of a phone in a small package. I also know that i'm in a very small minority of people here want the smallest, slimmest phone they can properly tuck into their pockets so it wont fall out and doesn't consume (any) video or media on it. But as I say, id be willing to pay a premium for such a device (instead of the 4" being referred to as a budget device, or a phone for women's hands!!)

But, alas, I know its not going to happen and I doubt we'll ever see anything like the iPhone 4 or the iPhone 5 again design wise, both in size and taste and i'm sure 95% of iPhone owners won't care about that, its a super successful mass market product now, not a niche device.

2. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

So, because the phone falls out of your pocket, and onto the tight space in your car, it's the worst iPhone you've ever owned?

3. dannys1 thread starter Suspended

dannys1

Yes, thats the only complaint I had in my essay you haven't bothered to read

4. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

5. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

Pretty much, yes, other than the fact that you have other devices other than a cell phone that you'd like to use most of the time, and that you feel the screen is too big.

Basically he thinks the phone is too slippery.

6. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

got it, thanks.

7. oldmacs macrumors 68040

My 5 or a second hand 5S will probably be my last iPhone sadly. If Apple brings a 4 inch option to the lineup, that will change things :p

8. noobinator macrumors 601

Get a grippy case = iPhone 6 is best phone ever??

9. eyoungren, Sep 1, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2015

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I have the 6+ and while there are things I hated about it before I bought it and things I hate about it after I bought it in general I like it.

Now, if Apple could give me the iPhone 5 in the size of the 6+, that would be awesome. The solution for Apple's lack of black however is a firm in Los Angeles called Neucase. They have a Black Matte model you can choose with solid black antenna bands.

As far as pockets. Well, I rarely forget to pull mine out when sitting down. But when you're paying over $900 for an iPhone that if you were to damage cannot be easily replaced/fixed from a financial perspective, you tend to be careful.

I also don't feel like explaining to my wife how it is I'm out a $900+ phone because I was careless.

10. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

OP - I get it, and agree to a point. It's not enough for me to give up using it, but I do agree with your assertions.

You both make appear as though you need some reading comprehension training.

11. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

I just re-read it one more time, and again it's about slipperiness and size.

12. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Crazy how you think it's the ugliest iPhone ever and looks/feels like any other handset. The 3G/3GS was the worst IMHO, that plastic was just tacky feeling. Even the plastic 5C has a bit of muscle to it. Luckily they brought back a bit of a quality feel from the 4 onwards.

Of course you're entitled to your opinion, though in my opinion if you were to objectively look at the design/materials, I just can't see how you'd come to this conclusion.

As for the rest of your arguments: well, it seems you're blindly upgrading to the new iPhone every year. If the 6 is too big and too ugly for your needs, I would question why you felt the requirement to purchase it in the first place if you knew it wouldn't be suitable for your needs. As you said, the 5S is more than capable on iOS 8/9.

It's also likely they'll bring out a 4" iPhone 6/6S in some form, as evidenced with the new iPod Touches on the A8 - albeit underclocked.

With just a week away from the new iPhones being released, you've picked a really strange time to write your diatribe.

13. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Every Android and iPhone I've bought has been quite good, just some are better than others. :D

14. dannys1 thread starter Suspended

dannys1

Not really, i've written because its 1 year of use - and everyone said "you'll get used to the bigger screen size and never want to go back" well I have - I still feel while I'm holding it I wish I squeeze the thing in a few CM to where it'd fit comfortably. I'll be honest I upgraded it because I buy every flagship iPhone and I thought I would get used to it, but I haven't - however I'm not willing to now downgrade back to a two year old iPhone 5S either, mainly due to Apple Pay and I couldn't bring myself to buy something like the 5C a stripped back so called "budget" phone - thats whats going to annoy me about 4" sizes they'll always be considering second rate now as its basically impossible for Apple to engineer the same power into a smaller frame (or rather not worth their time and effort)

And as for the person who keeps saying my only complaints are slippyness and size, as quite clearly mentioned in the first paragraph, add to that colour, design, antenna lines, protruding camera - so thats only 6 quite prominent things I don't like about and haven't learnt to love in the space of a year.

Its a sad time in my life when i'm going to have to resort to a case to correct Jony Ive's short comings, it really is. I can't stand cases but unless I want this next one to break too, I guess i'll have little choice but to join the swarms of others that cover their phones in cheap silicone.

15. Cape Dave macrumors 65816

EBay is your friend.

16. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I have to agree withe the design - it's bland and needs a total makeover.

17. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

There is no case currently in existence that will fix the trainwreck of color revulsion and inane flattness that is iOS 7 and iOS 8.

18. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

My opinion, "Do the pros outweigh the cons"? If the answer is yes, then I can live with it. Is the 6 perfect in every way, no. But it is a very decent phone and one of the best on the market. There are many options to choose from out there if it is not to your liking. Remember, Apple can not please all of us 100% and never will. If they can get it mostly right, then the sales will continue to happen for them. So far I think they are on track.

For me your complaints are trivial and an every day part of life. You should either move back to a iPhone you had previously liked or move on to a completely different phone.

19. dannys1 thread starter Suspended

dannys1

I don't mind the look of iOS at all.

20. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

LOL! I do. :D

I prefer iOS 6. Unfortunately, the iPhone 6+ will not run iOS 6 and due to Apple's incessant refusal to sign older versions of iOS my iPhone 5 is now stuck on 8.3.

21. dannys1 thread starter Suspended

dannys1

Thing is I don't want an outdated iPhone and I 1000% don't want any Android device ever. The phone I really really want ( a 4inch iPhone 6S) won't exist - so its like you say, do the pro's outweigh the con's - they do...the iPhone 6 despite my opinion above is the still the best phone on the market, its just a long way from being my favourite iPhone and from being what id really like Apple to do, and that makes me a bit sad.

I didn't write this expecting lots of agreement by the way, I know my opinion is quite unpopular, i'm quite happy with not having the basic mainstream opinion though to be honest.

22. recoil80 macrumors 68000

If I consider the design my personal chart is
    iPhone 5, 5S, 4, 4S, first iPhone, 3G, 3GS and 6.
    The iPhone 6's back is ugly, I really hate the protruding camera, the space grey is too similar to the silver model and you really need a case because is so slippery.
    But the screen size is the most important aspect on a modern phone and 4'' are not enough anymore. I really love my iPhone 6, I'd never get back to the 5 and I'm tempted by the Plus.

So the only drawback of the new iPhone is the design itself. The back won't change, maybe we'll have a different space grey like they did with iPhone 5S but the camera bump will stay there and so the ugly bands.
    It doesn't really matter to me, since I use a case, but the point is that although I like the phone I felt the need of a case the very moment I picked it in my hand for the first time while I carried my iPhone 5 "naked" and it felt really great.

23. eyoungren, Sep 1, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2015

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You just need to drink more of the Kool-Aid. ;)

24. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I will admit I did not read the entire OP's text and I am glad I did not!

I am glad that Apple is not forcing me into the tiny 4" screen anymore. The 6+ is by far my favorite iPhone and I have owned them all.

25. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Understood and hopefully the next launch will bring something closer to your liking.