The iPhone 6S Plus is $1029 off-contract in Canada. Is this an issue?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jb007clone, May 11, 2016.

1. jb007clone macrumors 6502

jb007clone

You can buy a comparable android device for hundreds of dollars cheaper. How does Apple stay competitive going forward? Are they even trying to?

2. noobinator macrumors 601

Oh ok. You should probably get than Android device then!

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Given the s7 is $1000 I'd say it's nothing to do with the devices price and all to do with your currency going to ****

4. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Price is only one aspect of "competition". And "value" is determined by the customer. So you can make the price-value comparison for yourself.

5. Hal~9000, May 11, 2016
    Last edited: May 11, 2016

Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Hey guys an SUV built by Porsche/BMW/Mercedes is more expensive than a similar type car by Hyundai/Kia/Misubishi, how will they ever compete going forward?

Apple doesn't compete for scraps at the low end of the market. They know people are very willing to pay a premium for the quality, reliability, exclusives, and continuous updates iOS devices provide.

6. jb007clone thread starter macrumors 6502

jb007clone

Nexus 6P is $700 CAD
    LG G5 is $750 CAD
    HTC 10 $900 CAD
    Samsung Galaxy S7 is $900 CAD

The difference is anywhere between $100 to $300. I'm not trying to start an android vs apple debate. I'm trying to point out that the pricing for Canadians is awful when you look at similar devices.

7. bufffilm, May 11, 2016

bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

So buy a cheaper Android phone...no one is stopping you.

There's the SE if you don't want to pay the going rate for the 6s/6s+.

And all the major players (Apple, Samsung, Nexus, LG, HTC, etc) will find it harder to get people to buy new phones, but due to the strong brand loyalty that Apple has with its customers...Apple is better positioned than the competition to weather that storm.

PS. If you have a friend here or plan to be in the US yourself, buy it here and take it home. Not advocating skipping tariff responsibilities, but I think you know what I mean...

8. jb007clone thread starter macrumors 6502

jb007clone

Thanks for the tip, but I think you're confused. This isn't a post complaining about me personally not being able to afford an iPhone, this is a general post about the high cost of an iPhone 6S Plus in Canada.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

You need to contact your government and ask them why.

It is really Apple or the distributors selling Apple products setting the price for your country and I am sure they have their reasons and are not just punishing Canada for the heck of it. The 6S+ is still a bargain, even at your price.

10. jb007clone thread starter macrumors 6502

jb007clone

Never knew the Canadian government was on Apple's board of directors and set device pricing.

11. Newtons Apple, May 11, 2016

Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Likely they did something to tick off Apple and now you will have to pay to play or use that nice Android.

Consider it payback for sending us the Beiber!:p

12. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

13. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

What's with the mud slinging? I think I've seen one single helpful and respectful comment here. Sheesh.

As far as competition, I do absolutely think Apple is going to start thinking about that. I believe it's one of the reasons the SE is priced the way it is. Android devices also generally sell with much lower margins than Apple.

The BMW versus Hyundai and similar comparisons are bunk, too. A comparable Android device is often hundreds less because that's THAT manufacturer's competing edge. They're also competing against one another and not only Apple.

A thousand bucks for a smartphone is nothing to sneeze at. I don't care what anyone says. If it makes you feel better, your minimum wage is much higher than that of the US and you have a lot of other things going for you up there that we do not. I'd trade a few things if it meant having to pay $1000 for an iPhone.

14. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

It's no different than what Blackberry was doing at the end of their heyday. It was $500+ in 2007 for a tiny screen and an underpowered cpu with no apps. They left the door wide open for Apple and Android to storm in and do what Nokia kept failing to pull off. Apple's prices are insane but if there aren't any decent competitors, there's nothing to do.

15. LovingTeddy macrumors 6502a

LovingTeddy

The competition is catching up fast and furious, especially Chinese. Huawei, ZTE and Xiaomi, they all produce excellent hardware at fairly low price point. Apple is loading market in its second biggest market, and Apple 's share in China is dropping fast.

Unless Apple want repeats its Mac's history, Apple better do something about iPhone. iPhobe SE is starting point where Apple trying to get lower cost iPhone and attracting budget iPhone buyer. But again, the exchange rate made iPhone SE very unattractive, at 579 starting point.

16. bufffilm, May 11, 2016

bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

Apple is still poised better than any other manufacturer to keep its customers.

Sure some will go elsewhere, but the iPhone is still the preeminent phone out there.

The SE covers the lesser markets as well as giving the choice of a less expensive iPhone.

It's going to be tougher for most of the major players to sell their phones.

17. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

It does not matter what Apple is charging as long as iPhone is #1 seller in Any country, they can charge anything they want.

[​IMG]

18. joemod macrumors regular

Based on this and other posts of yours in this thread I want to know the type of discussion you are trying to start.

19. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Not even that, with the current stable rate of 1.3 it should've been $520, not 580. Greedy Apple

20. aristobrat macrumors G4

With two general sizes of phones on the market, doesn't it make more sense to the compare the $899 CAD (Rogers, Fido) iPhone 6s to the size of phones above, not the iPhone 6s Plus?

IMO, the bigger iPhone 6s Plus ($1029 CAD - Rogers, Fido) compares the to the bigger Galaxy S7 Edge ($999 CAD Rogers, $1000 CAD Fido).

21. jb007clone thread starter macrumors 6502

jb007clone

Not really. Nexus 6P is bigger (5.7"), higher res, and $300 cheaper.

22. aristobrat macrumors G4

It really looks like (no matter which country’s price you’re using), once you group the phones into comparable sizes, the only phone that’s noticeably cheaper is the Nexus 6P (which is cheaper in both countries).

It also looks like every phone manufacturer raises their price roughly by the same amount for Canada.

Nexus 6P (US$499, CAN$699)
    iPhone 6s Plus (US$749, CAN$1029)
    Galaxy S7 Edge (US$792, CAN$999)

Galaxy S7 (US$672, CAN$899)
    HTC 10 (US$649, CAN$899)
    iPhone 6s (US$649, CAN$899)
    LG G5 (US$624, CAN$799)

23. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

The cost of an iPhone may be more but Apple has physical stores. Having physical stores means your product is likely going to cost more than competition who doesn't have physical stores due to the overhead costs. Also as I've stated before in other posts, If something happens to my iPhone I can walk into an Apple Store and get it replaced (usually same day). If something happens to an Android device I have to mail it in to the manufacturer and be without a phone for who knows how long...

24. IFRIT macrumors 6502a

Google will usually just mail you out a new phone the same day if you had a problem with a Nexus device. Which is better for people who don't live near a apple store.

25. ConnorMcJeebus macrumors regular

ConnorMcJeebus

This is true. I had the Nexus 5 before going back to iPhones. The first one they sent to me had an issue, so they immediately sent out another no questions asked. The new phone was shipped on the same day and arrived two days later. They also sent me a box with paid postage to return the first phone. Obviously, it wasn't same day replacement, but it wasn't bad at all.