Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Buckeye2009

macrumors member
May 10, 2017
Columbus, OH
Aubergine anyone?

Why has apple never made a dark green case?!?[/QUOTE IMG_0181.JPG

RWil85

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
Can anyone in here who has had both comment on the Apple silicone vs leather in terms of grip and wear over time?

Had the silicone before (what I have on my 8+ now) and it always seems grippy at first but then seems to wear off over time and look kind of crummy as it peels, also.

bonjourx

macrumors regular
May 26, 2016
Can anyone in here who has had both comment on the Apple silicone vs leather in terms of grip and wear over time?

Had the silicone before (what I have on my 8+ now) and it always seems grippy at first but then seems to wear off over time and look kind of crummy as it peels, also.

I’ve had the silicone and really liked it with my 7 plus, but was so disappointed because it started to wear out really bad, the physical color and all was perfect, except the sides, it started to chipped off (if that’s the right word).

Now I have the leather in saddle brown, I must say I really like it a lot. It seems like it’s much better than the older version leather before from Apple. I like it more than the silicone, the feel and the look too, but the only thing is it get scratches that are visible somehow, especially if it’s really a deep one. I only have it recently so I can’t say a lot about the leather, but I’ve read a lot of people said that It tends to wear out (just the color) but in a nice way that it makes it somehow for some reason looks classic. If that makes sense? Lol

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012

I've had multiple Apple leather cases and they have worn well and look good for as long as I've had them. I just got my first silicone case for my iPhone 8 as I wanted the pink sand color. It looks great but definitely feels more slippery than the leather cases. I've had the silicone cases on my iPads and they held up well, but I'm not hard on my things at all.

RWil85

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
I've had multiple Apple leather cases and they have worn well and look good for as long as I've had them. I just got my first silicone case for my iPhone 8 as I wanted the pink sand color. It looks great but definitely feels more slippery than the leather cases. I've had the silicone cases on my iPads and they held up well, but I'm not hard on my things at all.

Same here. Silicone on my iPad Pro still looks great - but, just too much shuffling around for the iPhone silicone to keep it’s look.

Thanks for the info - of the leather is, in fact, grippier, I’ll really have to check it out.

JSway

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
I wish Apple released the Tan color they did last year. Once that color was worn in, it looked like the Saddle Brown new outside the box.

Reactions: BrightCanon

mandy123

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
I loved this same case on my 6 plus! I had the white with pale blue grips. When I got my 7 plus I was dismayed to find they had replaced the CSG with the new Presidio grip. I did order one, but the plastic on it was slippery and it was uncomfortable to hold--especially around the bottom, where the cuts for the ports seemed to be kind of sharp. I agree it just didn't look as nice when I saw it in person, too. I returned it to Best Buy almost right away.

One night I was wandering around in a Sam's Club and was happily surprised to see a couple of the CSGs for 7 plus! They were not the colors I would've wanted (the gray and neon orange), but I got curious and searched for them on Amazon. Speck does still make them to fit the 7 plus. It seems like they only enlarged the camera cutout on the 6 plus version to accommodate, but around the bottom there's still space for a headphone jack the iPhones no longer have. It hasn't bothered me at all, though, still the same great case! I have had it on my 7 plus since last October and still love it. I see the b&w one is temporarily out of stock on Amazon, but they might get more soon. Of course there's not an absolute guarantee one would fit the 8 plus, since I've read that phone's just a tiny bit bigger, but it might be worth a try. :) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K094CJA/ref=twister_B01LZ64ZMM?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

Thanks friend! I put in an order even though as you said it was out of stock. Still havent gotten any shipping info but now the site says it's back in stock on 10/1 so really hoping I can get one out then and get it ASAP from then! The case I have now is just so slippery compared to that and it even billed itself as grippy.

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
Thanks friend! I put in an order even though as you said it was out of stock. Still havent gotten any shipping info but now the site says it's back in stock on 10/1 so really hoping I can get one out then and get it ASAP from then! The case I have now is just so slippery compared to that and it even billed itself as grippy.
Here are the 8 plus marked versions.

I am curious if these still have the hole for the headphone jack. I didn't love that. For the 8 Presidio not just has a larger cut out to accommodate the headphone of the 6S. Makes it look much nicer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0756XF99W/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

AE14

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2013
Philly Burbs
Here are the 8 plus marked versions.

I am curious if these still have the hole for the headphone jack. I didn't love that. For the 8 Presidio not just has a larger cut out to accommodate the headphone of the 6S. Makes it look much nicer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0756XF99W/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
speck changed the lower lip area for the most recent 8 cases (Presidio for certain). The made both speaker cutouts larger to accommodate the 6-8 iPhones

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
speck changed the lower lip area for the most recent 8 cases (Presidio for certain). The made both speaker cutouts larger to accommodate the 6-8 iPhones

Someone posted a pic on Amazon and it looks like they followed the Presidio with the larger cutouts. The Candyshell used to be my favorite case. They still scratch... but not as easy as the non grip.

Funny thing is... the person is complaining that they got the wrong case... NEW Iphone 5.5 was tagged prior to the name announcement.

EDIT... I was looking at the wrong side of the case.. I guess it still has the headphone jack... as others are commenting on the non-grip model.

Last edited:

RWil85

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
Just picked up a black Apple Leather for my 8+...

Seems really slippery out of the box.

Definitely slippery relative to my silicone.

Could anyone comment on whether or not this gets “grippier” over time? Assuming so with oils on your hands, etc.

Just want to pick one or the other and be done with it - assuming there are others in the same boat. Thanks.

systemind

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2011
Just picked up a black Apple Leather for my 8+...

Seems really slippery out of the box.

Definitely slippery relative to my silicone.

Could anyone comment on whether or not this gets “grippier” over time? Assuming so with oils on your hands, etc.

Just want to pick one or the other and be done with it - assuming there are others in the same boat. Thanks.

It gets grippy overtime. I’ve had the same one for a year and it’s super grippy.

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
Just received my Spigen Liquid Crystal Glitter Case. Ordered here from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y45F9CP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like that the glitter is subtle and adds a soft enhancement to the already nice back of my silver 8 Plus. The box does say it is for the iPhone 7 Plus, however, it fits easily. Since this is TPU, it will probably yellow over time, but the cost is low. It’s thin, enough to show off and protect from scratches, but I wouldn’t personally trust it if there was a significant drop. YMMV.

Attachments

• E967F44D-3BD0-4444-A359-0AE29DC20F62.jpeg
    E967F44D-3BD0-4444-A359-0AE29DC20F62.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 560
Reactions: Mel8899 and scjr

Mel8899

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2017
Just received my Spigen Liquid Crystal Glitter Case. Ordered here from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y45F9CP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like that the glitter is subtle and adds a soft enhancement to the already nice back of my silver 8 Plus. The box does say it is for the iPhone 7 Plus, however, it fits easily. Since this is TPU, it will probably yellow over time, but the cost is low. It’s thin, enough to show off and protect from scratches, but I wouldn’t personally trust it if there was a significant drop. YMMV.

Is it grippy?

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
Is it grippy?

It’s smooth all around, but doesn’t slide easily out of my hand. I’ve been playing with it for a bit and I haven’t felt like I was going to lose the phone. Now I don’t hand sweaty hands, but if someone does, the case would probably slip a bit.

Reactions: Mel8899

systemind

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2011
Thanks.

Literally like a sheet of ice/glass out of the box lol

I never found mine to be very slippery when new, I was actually afraid of buying it because everyone would say they’re very slippery, but it was not the case for me. Maybe my expectations were that it was going to be like holding a wet bar of soap and it wasn’t too bad. It does get much much better though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.