The iPhone 8 needs a glass body

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Guitarists, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Guitarists Suspended

Absolutely essential so that the finish doesn't chip away as with every iPhone since the 5.

Has this been confirmed?

2. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Nothing has been confirmed, because the new iPhone hasn't launched yet.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Apple is more into "looks" than durability. If it does have a glass back it will only be because they want to have wireless charging. They could use a colored plastic instead.

4. madgibbon macrumors regular

Can't image Apple using plastic on a flagship handset!!

5. Volgin Suspended

Volgin

I miss the 3G plastic back.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 25, 2017 ---
    They did in 2009.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I can not either, so they will likely use glass.

7. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

Why a Glass body if 90% of people will just put a plastic or Rubber Case on it ?

It's probably a cost issue but like some of my tactical knives are DLC coated tuff stuff diamond like carbon.
    I would much prefer that and it's nice and smooth and grippy.

8. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

9. Infiniverse48 macrumors 6502a

Wireless charging.

Metals are not transparent to the electromagnetic radiation or magnetic resonance. Therefore? Glass.

10. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

I believe the iPhone 8 will have 3.5" screen with a headphone jack on the top. There's also rumors where the Touch ID will be below the front camera sensor.

Please don't tell me i'm crazy because "Nothing has been confirmed, the new iPhone hasn't launched yet."

11. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

3.5? Display? I won't tell you that your crazy, but that doesn't mean I can't disagree with you either, which I do. The real question is does Apple allow the 3.5 Jack to remain on the SE.

12. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Apparently they are. My SSGS 7 had a metal back and wireless charging.

13. Infiniverse48 macrumors 6502a

He's being highly sarcastic. He's conveying to you in particular that things don't need to be 'confirmed' by Apple, to be 'confirmed'. When you have 100+ reports stating for over 1 year that the next iPhone will have an OLED display, there's a greater than 98% confidence that it will have an OLED display. As proven year after year, when rumors are repetitive and pervasive, they are true.
    Is that an abbreviation for the Galaxy S7? If so, it had a glass back.....

14. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Looks metal to me but I had a case on it since day one. If it has glass it is awfully thin.

15. Infiniverse48 macrumors 6502a

It's all good, I just looked it up though, it's gorilla glass 4 according to some review site.

16. Relentless Power, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

It's usually when some random member makes a claim stating what they believe is fact over fiction. Which makes it difficult to decipher someone's post when they state erroneous claims without any type of evidence, which leads to speculation at best. OLED is one thing, but the fact when some One brings the "Headphone Jack" into the equation, it creates confusion after last years debacle.

Furthermore, most, if not all, which includes your posts, are anecdotal assumptions on what we can expect, versus what will really happen. Macrumors discussions are not always indicative of real world likeliness of what we can expect, versus what someone they believe is accurate. It makes for an interesting discussion at best.
    This makes sense now. Given your track record of daily threads contributing to "Forbes" click bait articles, I can see why you believe more of what you read versus what's reality. It's more of a distortion, but then again, "nothing has been confirmed, the new iPhone hasn't launched yet. "

17. Infiniverse48 macrumors 6502a

Oh I agree most of the things I suggest are only how I think Apple will do things in regards to the new expected features. I could be completely wrong about those. Probably am.

18. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Based on the rumors, it doesn't look like it will be glass, but it would be great if it did.

19. edfoo macrumors 6502

I rather have a chipped metal body than a cracked glass body.

20. Guitarists thread starter Suspended

You would have to be rather stupid to crack a glass body. Only monkeys drop their iPhones.

Metal will simply chip away in your pocket over time.

21. the future macrumors 65816

The jet black iPhone 7 is the best of both worlds. Looks and feels like glass but won't crack because it's actually aluminium. As I don't care about wireless charging at all, I would be fine if the new iPhone(s) would be the same. OTOH, I never cracked the front or back of my 4S back then either, so I would be fine with the "glass sandwich" design making a comeback as well.

22. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

I would miss the metal backing on the new iPhone. I have the 6+, but my friend uses his 7+ matte black without the case and it looks amazing.

However, be it that they are probably going with wireless charging, maybe they could do a frosted glass back? Wishful thinking on my part.

23. Dave245 macrumors 603

If the glass is reinforced yes, don't forget all those people who cracked the back of their 4/4s because of the glass. Personally I preferred the glass back because I never used a case on my 4s and never broke it or scratched it, I would likely go case-less with the iPhone 8 if it is made of glass.

24. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

Interesting take on the words "need" and "essential".

I need to poop.

25. frankgrimes macrumors 6502a

frankgrimes

Glass on the back also means one scratch can turn out very bad, because it will keep getting larger and larger.

I prefer aluminum backs, I think Huawei is the only Android company that still does that. Glass is fragile and very slippery