The iPhone Dev-Team is warning jailbreakers to avoid iOS 5.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Applejuiced, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Putting out a warning out there to JB folks that want to keep their 4S and iPad 2 JB not to "accidentally" update to any GM 5.1 IPSW's that might be floating around soon or when the official 5.1 comes out.

In all likelihood we'll see the GM "gold master" version of 5.1 this week. DO NOT UPDATE TO 5.1, because you may lose your jailbreak! The rest of this post details the subtleties with this rule, but if there's only one message to take home, it's the overall "do not update" message!

Now for the nitty gritty exceptions:
    ● Soon after 5.1 appears on Apple's public servers (i.e. iTunes starts to offer it), Apple will stop signing 5.0.1 SHSH blobs.
    ● If you have an iPhone4S, the basic rule above is really the only rule: you cannot restore back to 5.0.1 once the 5.0.1 signing window is closed, no matter what (even if you saved your SHSH blobs).
    ● If you have an iPad2 with saved 4.x hashes, you can in fact downgrade to that 4.x but you won't be able to get to 5.0.1 once the 5.0.1 signing window is closed (even if you saved your 5.0.1 SHSH blobs).
    ● If you have a device earlier than the iPad2, you can downgrade to whatever version you want, as long as you have saved SHSH blobs for that version. You'll need the assistance of geohot's limera1n exploit with tools like redsn0w to get into "pwned DFU mode" and bypass the downgrade restriction.

2. PhazeII macrumors member

Once the update is available through itunes how long before they stop signing 5.0.1? Or do they just stop signing right away once the update is available?

3. Applejuiced thread starter macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It varies.
    Sometimes they leave it open for 24 hours signing both firmware versions.
    Or they could do it right away, we have to wait and see.
    Just hope noone gets the false sense of security with a 4S or ipad 2 thinking now that they saved their shsh blobs for 5.0.1 they're ok to test out the new 5.1 and get stuck.
    I'd be cautious installing packages from cydia that are not popular or well known or might be old or incompatible and cause the phone to get stuck needing a restore.
    Then you'd be stuck with 5.1 and no JB.

4. seanwebb68 macrumors 6502

Yeah I wondered the same thing as I would like to restore and jailbreak my iPhone 4s as it having a few issue rather then spend time fixing it. I know in the past there been a few hours/days cross over but just wondered if anyone knew how long it will be this time around

5. Applejuiced thread starter macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you want to restore and setup as new or just to have a clean restored and JB 4S you should do it right now or ASAP.
    Before the 5.1 is released. I wouldnt wait last minute, Apple knows 5.0.1 is JB untethered with all idevices so they might close the window right away.

6. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

----------

[/COLOR]
    So just for my own personal clarification if I do something on my 4s and I mess something up to were I need to restore and rejailbreak I cannot do a restore from backup from itunes once 5.1 is out even if I have the 5.0.1 file already downloaded on my computer from other restores?

I see this a problem since the “other” data section on my iphone gets over 2GB really fast (in about 2 weeks time) and I don’t know any other way of clearing this besides doing a complete restore to factory settings. Do you have any tips or suggestions to clear the “other” data section without a restore or any tips at all to lower to amount. I just restored and jail-broke last night.

Is there any hope to get 5.1 jailbroken within the next month or two to where we are able to upgrade?

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Once apple stops signing 5.0.1 you loose the option to instal it even if you downloaded it.

8. Applejuiced thread starter macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, once 5.1 hits itunes and Apple stops signing 5.0.1 blobs you will not be able to restore to 5.0.1, just the latest 5.1 and thus left without a JB.
    How long? Noone knows, my guess would be months probably.
    Its not easy to come out with untethered JB's especially on the 4S and ipad 2 that we dont have bootrom exploits available at the moment.
    Im not sure what the "other" 2GB's are that are taking up space on your phone. Could be stuff installed from cydia packages or something saved up on your backup file.

9. seanwebb68 macrumors 6502

Does anyone has any idea when it will be released as I'm not home for another 3 hours so can't restore till then. ?

10. seanwebb68 macrumors 6502

Ok it looks like I'll be troubleshoot my issues as 5.1 is now available to down. So not sure it work taking the risk of restore and being stock on 5.1

11. iToonz macrumors member

Just got the update prompt for my iPhone 4 over the air. Stay far from this.

[​IMG]

12. Applejuiced thread starter macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Damn, that was quick.
    Looks like 5.1 is out.

Attached Files:

13. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Hope someone comes out with a hack to bring Photostream deletions to 5.0.1

14. Applejuiced thread starter macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    It shouldnt be that hard to implement on a JB device.

15. LoloBond macrumors 6502

I got that message while I was jail breaking, after I hit Absinthe and reboot the message was gone.

16. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

17. Applejuiced thread starter macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I doubt you can update OTA on a JB device.
    You will have to do it with itunes. If its not showing up on your itunes yet you will have to wait a little longer. It will pop up eventually.

18. iToonz macrumors member

Why is there a difference in file size with the update? Check my previous post. The file size is smaller.

19. Applejuiced thread starter macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Mine is a 4S;)

20. iToonz macrumors member

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh lol

21. PhazeII macrumors member

Anybody know if apple still signing 5.0.1??? Still?

I'd like to save my wife's SHSH blobs and upgrade her to 5.0.1 tonight if possible

22. labman macrumors 604

labman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Try it asap and see they could stop signing now or days. Don't bother asking since it could change.

23. PhazeII macrumors member

Alright I'll try to save and update tonight and post once I find out. I do not have access to the phone right now.

24. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Will we be more likely to see an un tethered jb for 5.1 on a iPhone 4 versus the iPhone 4s ?

25. Applejuiced thread starter macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You will see a tethered JB soon since that device is forever tethered JB with the limerain exploit but untethered could take a while.
    Probably before the 4S but never know.