Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thenerdal

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2011
That's a tablet, not a phone. Either way, Galaxy Nexus has the best resolution on a phone, while the iPhone 4S still has the best PPI so far. There are future phones that will have better PPI though.

C N Reilly

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
There's no hint yet as to when we'll see this technology inside an actual tablet...

Apple retains the lead. Prototypes are irrelevant if they can't be made into actual selling products; Cf. Xerox PARC and one S.P. Jobs.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
That's a tablet, not a phone. Either way, Galaxy Nexus has the best resolution on a phone, while the iPhone 4S still has the best PPI so far. There are future phones that will have better PPI though.

Just because they make a display at x size and y DPI, it doesn't mean that that's the ONLY size they can make them in. Apple could easily go: make that in 9.7" or 3.5" and chose any DPI from 0 to y.

thenerdal

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2011
Just because they make a display at x size and y DPI, it doesn't mean that that's the ONLY size they can make them in. Apple could easily go: make that in 9.7" or 3.5" and chose any DPI from 0 to y.

I don't understand. I agree that Apple could do that, but they didn't with the 4S, now the competition will catch up while people wait for the iPhone 5, meaning the competition is ahead of Apple. This is why a lot of people wanted to see a new iPhone.

C N Reilly

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
I don't understand. I agree that Apple could do that, but they didn't with the 4S, now the competition will catch up while people wait for the iPhone 5, meaning the competition is ahead of Apple. This is why a lot of people wanted to see a new iPhone.

Beyond a certain point (which most engineers think Apple has reached with the Retina Display), merely adding more pixels doesn't make the screen appear any sharper to the human eye. To grossly oversimplify, you can't get any clearer than "clear".

Seems like the main use for something like this is exactly what the prototype is for: putting a Retina-quality display in a larger device, not just trying to cram ever more pixels into the same small one. Remember that Apple wasn't able to find a way yet to produce Retinas big enough for the iPad 2.

fizzwinkus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2008
As hard as I try, I can't see any pixels on my iPhone 4. Making the pixels even harder to see probably won't help.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Apple retains the lead. Prototypes are irrelevant if they can't be made into actual selling products; Cf. Xerox PARC and one S.P. Jobs.

Apple will only keep the lead till November 10th. Samsung Galaxy Nexus will have higher resolution than iPhone.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Apple will only keep the lead till November 10th. Samsung Galaxy Nexus will have higher resolution than iPhone.

Want some numbers?

Nexus = Pentile = 2 sub pixels per pixel
iPhone 4/S = RGB = 3 sub pixels per pixel.

Total subpixels:
Nexus: 1 843 200
iPhone: 1 843 200

Sub pixels per inch:
Nexus: 632
iPhone: 989

thenerdal

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2011
one word: pentile

13 words: Resolution will make up for it, so it's not much of a problem.

----------

Want some numbers?

Nexus = Pentile = 2 sub pixels per pixel
iPhone 4/S = RGB = 3 sub pixels per pixel.

Total subpixels:
Nexus: 1 843 200
iPhone: 1 843 200

Sub pixels per inch:
Nexus: 632
iPhone: 989

Unless you plan on having your phone's screen right up against your eyes or really intently looking for the imperfections, then you're really not gonna see much of any imperfections.

Also your eyes perceive green as far and away more important than red or blue. It makes perfect sense to manufacture a display that takes advantage of that. PenTile means higher resolution than RGB using the /same/ manufacturing technology.

It may be the same number of subpixels as the iPhone "retina" display but it has 50% more green elements, which means for equal physical size your eye will be able to see finer detail

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
one word: pentile

What about it? One word is not enough. Here are some facts.

Picture of SAMOLED HD screen on Galaxy Note (same resolution as Nexus Prime but larger screen - lower pixel density):

32667364.jpg

iPhone 4

ip4.jpg

Judge for yourself whether pentile is that bad. t definitely looks better than iPhone in this comparison. More details here.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Unless you plan on having your phone's screen right up against your eyes or really intently looking for the imperfections, then you're really not gonna see much of any imperfections.

I'm not saying it's bad, or low resolution, I haven't even seen it myself (obviously) but the flaw with pentile is that it can't produce a good black edge. It's going to appear slightly off when compared to a full RGB pixel, and you don't need a magnifying glass to see that.

thenerdal

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2011
I'm not saying it's bad, or low resolution, I haven't even seen it myself (obviously) but the flaw with pentile is that it can't produce a good black edge. It's going to appear slightly off when compared to a full RGB pixel, and you don't need a magnifying glass to see that.

You forget that it's SuperAMOLED, meaning blacks are completely black.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009

We'll see about that. Some experts do expect that not all issues will be resolved by increased pixel density. At the same time all reviewers who saw the phone in person were very excited about what they saw.

----------

You forget that it's SuperAMOLED, meaning blacks are completely black.

It's a different issue. sammich was talking about the color aberrations on the edge of the text characters. PhoneArena made the following picture of Galaxy Note:

Zoom-01-Samsung-Galaxy-Note.jpg

The edge seems to be OK (and definitely better than it was on older SAMOLED screens)

thenerdal

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2011
Dunno, what the fuss is about with Pentile, a lot of phones had it, yet people didn't complain. Nexus S, Nexus One, Fascinate, Captivate, Vibrant or Droid Incredible all had Pentile screens. :|

Why does all this stuff suddenly matter NOW?

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
What about it? One word is not enough. Here are some facts.

Picture of SAMOLED HD screen on Galaxy Note (same resolution as Nexus Prime but larger screen - lower pixel density):

Judge for yourself whether pentile is that bad. It definitely looks better than iPhone in this comparison.

The pics reveal the clear advantage even if a pentile display is not as technically superior to the full RGB.

Apples complacency & stubborn refusal to release a new model with what has become the industry STD 4.3" size has only pacified the ones who spew "spec whore" when Apple is caught short.

I sure hope as an iPhone enthusiast that Apple raises their game soon. You're either leading or following.

Sadly when one of the most important aspects of a smartphone is a spacious display, Apples tiny screen is a bit pathetic.

thenerdal

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2011
Also, Pentile does have less subpixels.

But as resolution goes up and pixel density starts to increase, the inherited disadvantage of the pentile matrix start do become more and more irrelevant. That's the beauty of this technology. It provides a great balance and it actually starts to look better as pixel density increases despite maintaining low subpixel count.

The display on the Galaxy Nexus is 1280x720 at 4.65inch which is considerably smaller than Galaxy Note. Hence considerably higher pixel density and less distance between two pixels. Hence the disadvantage of having Pentil matrix is greatly reduced.

Now what are the advantaged of pentile matrix? Its power.
It can maintain the good quality thanks to OLED technology and maintain higher screen brightness while easting almost half the power in most conditions than a RGB panel. This is why this technology is used on this display. Its a big screen having very high resolution. Having RGB panel would have destroyed its battery life. In the future when we have more power efficient technology, we will see RGB screens in this size having this resolution which are power efficient. But for now, this is the best you can get while having some sort of decent battery life on such big screen.

It is currently the best panel available.

Just thought I'd give information about Pentile to people who think it sucks. :)

7even

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
Dunno, what the fuss is about with Pentile, a lot of phones had it, yet people didn't complain. Nexus S, Nexus One, Fascinate, Captivate, Vibrant or Droid Incredible all had Pentile screens. :|

Why does all this stuff suddenly matter NOW?

The Droid Incredible (my previous phone), for example, has noticeably fuzzy text. I'm sure it's less noticeable on a higher res screen, but it's still annoying.

shadrap

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2009
Mayberry
Jeez, we don't care about your crapdroid. It sucks. Even if it could cook me breakfast after satisfying me all night in bed. Android operates like a stuttering cousin that you want to slap on the back of the head.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.