The iPhone Price Cut: I Feel...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by IJ Reilly, Sep 7, 2007.

?

I bought an iPhone at the original price. Now, I feel...

1. Quite angry.

18 vote(s)
    11.3%
  2. Somewhat annoyed.

36 vote(s)
    22.6%
  3. I can live with it.

27 vote(s)
    17.0%
  4. Unbothered.

78 vote(s)
    49.1%
  1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

If you bought an iPhone at the original price, how do you feel about Apple lowering the price by $200?

2. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

This horse is long dead. Please just let it lie.

3. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

just he happy Apple even gave everyone $100 credit. Whats done is done.

4. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

As far I can tell, nobody has actually taken a poll. I'm genuinely interested in the results (and not so much the comments, of which we've had plenty already). Reading stories in the newspaper about this, you'd get the impression that virtually every iPhone buyer was angry about the price cut. I'm not sure that's accurate. So let's find out.

5. ehoez macrumors member

noo, do CPR!

6. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

we still beating this donkey? cause I HATE donkeys

7. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I really don't understand how people are as upset about this as they are.

1. People who bought at the $600 dollar price point obviously felt it was worth $600, thus they bought it.
    2. They are no worse off today than they were yesterday.

So from what I can tell its just jealously that others can get it for $200 less. Dont be haters. If I'm missing some other point please feel free to enlighten me.

8. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

In fact, we're better off, since Jobs announced we'd be getting $100 store credit. I paid $600 for a phone I thought was worth $600, and will get an Airport Express for (almost) free. :)

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

10. macinthebox-nan macrumors newbie

macinthebox-nan

price cuts are a fact of life

if you stood in line for an iphone you should have realized that you were paying for the hype, the excitement, the bragging rights to be one of the first people to get their hands on an exciting new product. don't lie to yourself, you knew price cuts were inevitable. Razr was what?...$1000 when it first came out? now the phone companies are giving them away...

who cares if the price cuts come now or a few months from now? what, are you worried about resale value or something? haha its a gadget not a house..c'mon now

11. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

This price cut makes me happy as hell. I was smart enough to go to apple yesterday and get the difference credited back. I bought on release day. :D

12. standeliverleav macrumors newbie

Here are the bottom lines kids..

We shelled out 600 when we got the phone and all was good.

We will be getting 100 from apple soon.

All is good.

13. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Now I'll get some more toys for free!

I wasn't really upset about it. It was bought and paid for 2 months ago.

I know some folks that were on the fence because of the price, they won't be for much longer though.

The $200 will cover the cost of the early termination penalty for Verizon and I suspect other vendors. Before this, it would have been $600 for phone plus $180 termination fee. At $780, it was a hard sell. At $680, its a little easier to swallow.

14. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

you know what I don't get? I don't get why it is that everyone LOVES to hate on Apple for these sorts of things, when they only do the same things that every other technology company does.

Cases in point:

- I bought a Samsung 19 inch LCD flat panel display when the cost was $679. Three months later, they cut the price in half. And today, they're as cheap as the old CRT monitors were.

- Does anyone remember the RAZR? It was $499 when it came out. The only thing the RAZR had going for it were looks. No high speed internet, no smartphone abilities, barely an e-mail interface, and the meus were slow as hell. But it was thin, and trendy and cost a fortune... until a couple months later, when the same RAZR could be had for $199. Now, they're giving them away.

- Palm's Treos. Great idea, but don't ever buy one when they first come out. The shipping delays are horrendous at initial launch, and by the time you get yours, the price has dropped by 33%. I remember back in the days of the Treo 650, some people who ordered theirs after I did ended up getting their phone shipped to them sooner. And they paid less for it too.

Why does no one rail so much against other manufacturers when prices drop? And for that matter, why does Dell not get so much flack when they're computers suffer a 33% failure rate (based on my experiences as an IT manager coordinating a fleet of of Mac and PC computers) yet people loudly and publicly cry foul simply because the Macbook screen gets a little on the yellow side?

I'm not necessarily condoning all the things that Apple does. I just think that if people loudly moan and complain about Apple doing these things, then they should be just as vocal when other companies do the exact same things.

I'll tell you this much though: Motorola, Dell, Sony or any other major manufacturer would never have batted an eye after the price drop. Jobs, however, listened. I used to really hate Jobs, and hate his company. Nowadays... not so much.

This is the state of the industry; price cuts happen. If you want to be ahead of the game, you pay more. If not, you simply wait for the price to go down. People buying the iPhone from here until Christmas or even later may be getting it at $200 less, but they're going to be getting a device that's not as unique or as trendy as they were two months ago. Agian, harkening back to the RAZR: it was a status symbol at $500. Today? The RAZR is blase.

15. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Somewhat annoyed would be a good word.

But, that may be too strong. I am VERY happy with my iPhone and as you can see in my sig, I am very Pro-Apple because I love the Customer Service and products.

I just think I could have really helped myself financially if I had bought the iPhone $200 less

But, that is the way technology goes these days so I am not really blaming anyone other then myself.

16. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Edit: on second thoughts, I'm removing my comment.

17. TimJim macrumors 6502a

18. ojwk macrumors regular

ojwk

early adopters can always assume to pay high prices, you would be naive to expect anything else.

19. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I was pissed, since I just ordered my iPhone a couple days before the price drop, and I didn't even get it yet. The $100 pacified me though.

20. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

You might be eligible to get the full $200 difference refunded.

My receipt was dated August 29th, I walked in to an Apple store this AM and the employee checked the date, showed the manager the receipt, and presto, difference refunded. I didn't have to even blink.

I was (upon initial news of the price drop) annoyed (bummed?) but then resigned, too. I mean, what can you really do, right?

At any rate, it's all worked out. Hopefully those who felt genuinely burned can appreciate the $100 store credit. And hopefully those who feel strongly that nothing should have been done on Apple's part can relax a bit and let it go.

21. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

at the news of the price drop, i was more shocked than anything. i don't ever recall a time apple so sharply dropped the price of a well-received product. and before i could feel anything else, news of the $100 credit came out, and i felt fine. :)

22. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

So here's the funny/sad part: In an article I read this morning about the price cut, the writers somehow could not manage to find a single person to quote who wasn't angry about it, but they did quote several who were. Based on this results of this poll, they had to work pretty damned hard to avoid finding anybody who didn't think it was just plain awful.

23. dangleheart macrumors 6502

50% not bothered? What else can be a better definition of fanboy and fandom? :)

For me it was not the price cut itself which is a given in the tech space. I am actually angry about the tinge of deviousness shown by Apple and the subsequent explanation by SJ. Right, they only 'recently' found out that Christmas is coming or the component prices have dropped. Oh, come on. It is either bad planning or oversight due to all the excitement surrounding the launch ( hard to believe ) or just Apple taking their fanboys for granted. I am glad that SJ realized the angry apple loyalists in very quick time and provided some sort of bandage. The effects of this would have been felt by Apple on future products if that bandaid was not supplied. But still the tinge of disappointment lingers in my mind.

24. overcast macrumors 6502a

I spent $6000 on a first generation Sony 60" SXRD display , a week before they even hit stores. 9months later generation 2 came out, offering 1080P input that should have already been in the first model, and the price was cut to $3000! That's called technology, GET OVER IT.

25. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Huh? :confused: