The iPhone sucks as an iPod...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amazingdm, Sep 1, 2010.

1. amazingdm macrumors 6502

ever notice that?

There's something about the menus I don't like,
    not many options,
    and there's no crossfadE!!

2. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Soo.. you don't like the iPod app because it doesn't have crossfade? And that's the same menu as the iPod touch. If you're really going to complain about that, just get an iPod classic.

3. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

if you don't like menus, just get the new shuffle :D

4. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Has any iPod ever had crossfade?

My only issue is there is no scrolling text. I would like to see the full title of a song before choosing... many songs are live versions where the (Live) at the end of the title is cut off, so I'm always guessing.

Physical buttons isn't a complaint, but it is something I miss. I wish there was a case with remote buttons integrated.

But I love the iPod function of my iPhone. The iPod was the selling point of the first iPhone for me.

5. dojoman macrumors 65816

Go buy Zune and then go away.

6. pamon macrumors 6502

i disagree, it's a great music player i think. great for podcasts as well. use it mainly for that.

7. ridingforlife macrumors member

It doesn't seem any different to me really. Just got the iPhone 4 last week, and was using an iPod Touch 1st gen before.

8. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

I think the iPod app is one of the most under rated features of the iPhone. It's the main reason I own an iPhone.

9. amazingdm thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry to be an iPod phone the iPod app sucks. Yes not having crossfade really sucks. And yes actual iPods have crossfade. My 4th gen Nano has it.

10. McBeats macrumors 6502a

i can see crossfade gettin in the way when it comes to continuous mixes with individual tracks chopped up... but yeah how come iphone doesnt have crossfade? kinda weird.

11. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

If you mark the tracks as part of a gapless album, I believe crossfade is turned off when the tracks are played in order, and then crossfaded when shuffled.

The reason its not been implemented is likely some sort of battery strain or something.

12. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

On the other hand, iPod Shuffle sucks as a smartphone.

13. intervenient macrumors 6502a

:D:D:D:D:D

14. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

Exactly, and it's the main reason I stay with the iPhone, if it wasn't for the iPod I may have been more tempted to try out another smartphone.

15. mzd macrumors 6502a

really the iPod app on iOS 4 is much improved over the 3.x and prior versions. i'm very happy with it.

16. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

For me, it's the idiotic syncing process that kills music on the iPhone. It's ironic that I listened to music because of owning iPods and iPhones. In our cars, now we only listen to the radio or we listen to CDs.

At least I kept a Creative Zen Stone, which is what the Shuffle should have always been.

17. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

I don't have a problem with the iPod app. While I like the Zune HD's file management and player better (sans lack of progress bar) the iPhone's iPod app works fine for me. For purely music, I still pop open my Zune HD cuz it sounds better.

But I always have my iPhone on me and it works good enough for me to be happy with it. Lack of crossfade is a kind of annoying, but I can live with it. One thing I would like to point out, when you say iPod, you really mean Classic or Nano. The iPod touch uses basically the same software and hardware, so I was a bit confused at first until you reference your nano.

18. amazingdm thread starter macrumors 6502

What do you mean? I never mentioned the touch.. Everyone knows it's an iPhone without the phone

19. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

That's true. However, it's still an iPod and that's what my mind naturally to the touch since that's the one that's most discussed when I talk about iPods.

20. amazingdm thread starter macrumors 6502

Really?

Well anyway the iPod Nano is a much better iPod than the iPhone.
    I wonder if the new iPod Nano is going to use the same sucky iPod app iPhone uses though.

21. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

The iPod app for the iPhone is a simple music player for people who like things simple. If you want more features try Cue Play DJ, however this is not an iPod like app. I like to be able to tweak the music little more than the iPod allows, so I live with some of the limitations of Cue Play DJ. At home I never use iTunes to play music, I use Traktor or Numark DJ. Looks fantastic on a 65 inch TV.

22. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

Yes. Really. I haven't though about the iPod Nano since i got my iPod 5G, and that was a while ago.

But past that, I heard it isn't iOS. Weather it's the iPod App, it doesn't quite look like it. I think they are using a stripped down version of iOS and modified it to be music friendly.

23. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

it's the best ipod I've ever had, and I've had ipods since the first release. Honestly, there's just no pleasing some people.

24. amazingdm thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope and thank god I'm like that. iPod nano > iPod app

25. dmf109 macrumors newbie

I wish I'd get a more useful screen when the phone is locked and pressing home twice. I'd really like to see the loop/mix options.

I also wish Podcasts (or any media) had better fast forwarding/reversing ability.