"The items will be deleted immediately"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by e93to, Feb 10, 2016.

1. e93to macrumors 6502a

e93to

Sometimes when I move an item to trash, I get a message that says "The items will be deleted immediately." Rebooting the computers fix the issue, but I always wondered what suddenly causes such thing. From what I know, change in read/write permission or drive ownership causes such things. But why the sudden change if I didn't modify any of that?

Last year my iMac asked me to enter passwords for everything I did - moving files to different folder, moving an item to trash, etc. Rebooting, repairing permission in safe mode & recovery mode, etc didn't help. I had to change the ownership and click "apply to enclosed items." That was a bizarre incident.

A couple of days ago, 2 of my Macs suddenly started displaying "The items will be deleted immediately" messages. I haven't done anything unusual to my computers at all...

So yeah... I'm curious as to what could be causing such things..

My iMac is on 10.8.5 while my MBP is on 10.6.8

2. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

I believe this has to do with "ownership of the trash" issues...

3. e93to thread starter macrumors 6502a

e93to

Is this a common issue that's been occurring throughout various versions of OS X?

4. JohnDS macrumors 65816

If you are not running El Capitan, open Disk Utility and run Repair Permissions.

5. e93to thread starter macrumors 6502a

e93to

Repairing permissions doesn't prevent this issue from happening in the future.

6. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

No it is a common issue with people or programs who have no idea what they are doing messing with system files. Last time I seen this float by a week or so ago it was the user deleting then trying to recreate the .Trash folder with incorrect permissions. Two weeks I guess now I look at the Similar Threads link at the bottom of the page.

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/delete-files-–-always-delete-immediately-dialogue.1952510/

7. e93to thread starter macrumors 6502a

e93to

Thanks for the link.

But I didn't do anything on Terminal. Actually, I never use Terminal... So could a third-party app be causing this time to time...?

8. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Could be one them oh so helpful clean your Mac apps gone bad. Personally I have never seen the use for them OSX generally cleans up well after itself the only exception I found in years of use was couple of weeks back when I got your device is running short of space. Turns out if you leave your computer on all the time as I do then the cache files can get enormous leading to the warning a simple reboot solves it getting back to reasonable size.

9. e93to thread starter macrumors 6502a

e93to

I don't use Clean My Mac or such apps.. Again, when this happens even though I don't know anything unusual.

10. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Definitely unusual especially if you have followed the steps in the thread I linked too and corrected the permissions and it is still going on. Have you?

11. e93to thread starter macrumors 6502a

e93to

I didn't follow the steps from the link you provided.

Rebooting fixes the issue. However, it randomly comes back. Days later, weeks later or months later.

I just want to know what could be triggering this behavior.

12. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Well then that is bug somewhere in program you have used or OSX itself no clue which one, never had it happen here to even think about tracking something like that down.

13. e93to thread starter macrumors 6502a

e93to

Now I'm asked for password when I move files to Trash... Permission for Machintosh HD was suddenly changed to "read only."

Again, I didn't do anything unusual. I was only running iTunes, Chrome and Mendeley (PDF organizer and reader).

14. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

As I stated above, you have some kind of conflict (perhaps between different accounts?) arising over "ownership of the trash".

That's the issue you need to explore insofar as resolving the problem goes...

15. e93to thread starter macrumors 6502a

e93to

I don't have any other account on my computers other than mine (admin).

16. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

OP wrote:
    "I don't have any other account on my computers other than mine (admin)."

Doesn't matter -- things can still become "mixed up".

There is a solution for this, probably requires use of the terminal.

17. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

OP: Check out this MacRumors thread for a similar problem that came down to root owning the trash.

18. e93to, Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2016

e93to thread starter macrumors 6502a

e93to

Thanks for the link. I've tried those before. But the issue still comes back randomly.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 14, 2016 ---
    Interesting. Wouldn't changing ownership/permission of root directory require admin password for verification? This is what really makes me wonder how and why this could happen... With yesterday's case, I couldn't copy files into a folder without being prompted for password (just like what I experienced last year). But I didn't have to change read/write permission, and then click "apply to enclosed items." Simple reboot fixed the issues for yesterday's case.