The joys of a gout attack?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jbarley, Jun 2, 2018.

1. jbarley macrumors 68040

jbarley

Curious to know if anyone here has ever experienced a Gout attack?
    I've suffered from gout for longer then I can remember and have never come up with a solution to ease the pain other then the usual soak in hot water, take an anti-inflammatory along with maybe a topical such as Voltaren and just suffer through it.

Here is the current state of my right foot at present...
    Anything even a sock touching it is very painful, don't even consider putting on a shoe.:(

photo.jpg

2. Volusia macrumors 6502

Volusia

Man, that looks painful! Sorry, don't have any advise but wanted to wish you luck in finding some answers!

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

What triggers your gout attacks?

4. jbarley thread starter macrumors 68040

jbarley

I suppose if I knew that I could steer clear of the culprit, but medical science can't come up with any triggers so far.
    I'm 80+ and don't smoke or drink alcohol, and actually due to stomach issues eat mostly a pretty bland diet.
    The attacks always sneak up at night while sleeping.
    And BTW I'm on a life long gout medication to control uric acid levels and just had a check up 2 weeks ago which showed everything as being all rosy and good..
    And then out of nowhere this...Go figure!:(

5. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

6. ProTruckDriver macrumors regular

ProTruckDriver

Wow that looks painful.:eek: I have the gout also and I can feel your pain. It first started in my big toe. As years went by I now have it in all of my joints. I was taking Allopurinol 300 gm daily for about 10 years but I quit taking it because it made my joints feel worse. I haven't taken the medicine in the last few months and I feel much better. If I get a Gout attack I'll take Colchicine 0.6 mg. All meats, especially Pork makes my gout flare up.

7. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

That looks very painful. You have my sympathies.
    Never had it, and don't want it either.

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I've never had it, either, but I have known people who have suffered from intermittent bouts, and they assure me that it can be exceedingly painful and quite sore. And can linger for quite a while.

9. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Ouch, that looks painful. Diet is important. There are other pharmacological treatment options out there. Cholchicine, Febuxostat, Prednisone, Pegloticase, etc. Talk to your doctor about these other options.

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

If possible, try to identify the triggers of an attack.

One friend knows that if he consumes too much red meat, red wine, and cognac (and he does consume too much of all of these delights - so it has become a delicate balancing act), an attack of gout will possibly strike. Stress may also be a trigger.