The lack of RAM is a very real problem

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by welles13, Sep 20, 2014.

1. welles13 macrumors member

For the past 1.5 years I have streamed an old time radio show from Safari while walking my dog. I do this while using Chrome, Twitter, Facebook, and other apps simultaneously. I have never once had the audio drop out on me.

Yesterday I did this after picking up my brand new 128gb 6+: I listened to audio on Safari while using other apps. My audio proceeded to cut out no less than two times as Safari was purged in the background. To reiterate, this never happened once in the hundreds of times I did this exact same procedure with my iPhone 5.

I don't know if it's because the hardware now has to drive a massive screen, or if it's merely iOS 8 teething troubles, but this is a very real problem right now. I love iOS for its rock solid dependability, that you can generally throw anything at it and it just works. Right now that is not the case.

2. itjw macrumors 65816

Better just return it and get something else.

You won't, but if it really bothered you that much that's what you WOULD do.

I was unable to replicate the "very real problem". Please describe steps to do so.

3. youknome macrumors 6502

youknome

Yes it's a problem but will Apple do anything about it, you have 12 months to wait and see.

So just get an Android phone for now.

4. Winona Northdakota macrumors 6502a

Describe the problem?

5. nviz22 macrumors 68040

nviz22

If you want an experience similar to iOS but from Android, HTC is your best bet. Sense is very simple and to the point rather than being flashy and over the top like Samsung.

6. iphonehype macrumors 6502

Return it, and go away....or simply exchange it and get the problem rectified. You cant blame Ram, no one else has this issue / nothing reported.

7. Antgb84 macrumors 6502

8. horsebattery, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014

horsebattery macrumors 6502

I haven't done testing yet and examining memory utilization levels after updating to iOS 8 (on 5S) and with a 6, but I have noticed the music cutting out issue since using iOS 8. Specifically, this occurs with the Unread app for me, a RSS reader which I have noticed to use memory levels on par with Safari (>100MB). I'm inclined to think it may be problems with iOS 8, since this is the first I have encountered this, having used Unread on iOS 7 for several months now.

I'm not entirely sure if these are related, but there are several threads on Apple's support forums with similar symptoms:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6540195
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6538495

Edit: A way that I have been able to occasionally replicate the behavior with Unread is to open an article to a page that tends to be resource heavy (e.g. a page from The Verge) using the app's provided browser. I've been able to successfully replicate it using Safari as well, in loading the same page. For reference, the page I had been using was:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/20/6641673/iphone-lines-apple-stores-casey-neistat-chinese-mafia

But the mobile version.

Edit2: Realized that the OP was streaming from Safari instead of the Music app, which is what I've been encountering. Whoops!

9. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Lolz. Sure thing ;-)

10. iphonehype macrumors 6502

Ok maybe a few have on Apple forums...however...I currently am browsing on my iPhone, listening to music via Spotify, Whatsapp, Messages, Twitter and my banking app running in the background and I'm swapping between not mentioning checking emails that are coming through.

Its doing a million and one other processes too which I don't know like backing location etc....

iPhone 6 Plus 64GB and nothing has cut out....!

11. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

There's no way to know if this is a RAM problem or a bug with iOS 8.

If it's not fixed by, say, 8.0.2, then perhaps youre on to something.

For now, I expect iOS 8 to be as buggy as hell for a while.

12. iphonehype macrumors 6502

Now I have to agree with this, if there is a problem....seems to be isolated I haven't experienced this on any of my iPhones.

13. horsebattery macrumors 6502

What is the point of your replies here? Over the course of three posts, you have completely backtracked what you have said, and you're attempting to dismiss anecdotal evidence by providing your own.

14. welles13 thread starter macrumors member

The anger is real with the blind advocates.

15. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Could this be more of a Safari issue and not so much a ram issue.

16. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

This maybe something programmed into your thought process. I have heard that Android phones with 2+ GB of RAM have similar issues as well. Don't fall into that trap. Apple engineers are smarter than you. If the iPhone was having issues with 1GB RAM, we would have been updated to 2GB already.

Having said that, the S cycle is usually when they do spec bumps.

17. haticK macrumors 6502a

haticK

I actually feel like the apps having to reload is no longer an issue on my 6+ like it was on the 4S.

18. michikade macrumors regular

michikade

Honestly I think this is an iOS 8.0 problem that'll probably be fixed in 8.0.1

Browser purging has always happened ime but it seems to happen a whole lot faster now than I used to. I'm on a 5 and an iPad 2 and have had the browser purge just by switching apps for a couple minutes and switching back - never used to happen that fast before so I think the culprit is how 8 is handling tasks at this time. There always seems to be some weird highly prevalent bug/issue with X.0 releases from my experience.

19. horsebattery macrumors 6502

Engineers that are not hired and are working for Apple also exist in this world.

20. l3uddz macrumors 6502

Everyone knows the iPhone 6 is lacking in RAM... Its just a well known fact now, no way anyone can justify it because it "works" perfectly on their device (which i sincerely doubt - people just dont have any idea whats actually going on when it does happen). Mark my words, iPhone 6s will come out with 2GB RAM, by which point in 2-3 years from now the iPhone 6 will be obsolete along with all the previous iPhones due to devs/iOS utilizing the increased RAM. Why couldn't Apple have just added an extra GB of RAM to the 6 I have no idea, would cost peanuts in the long run but would have given the end user a vastly improved experience/longevity.

21. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

We have a winner!!!

22. acctman macrumors 65816

acctman

It could be a number of things causing this. Throwing RAM at this issue is the "Android" way of fixing things. More than likely I would say it's iOS8 or Safari that needs a patch/update. As a dev I used iOS8 from start to GM and all the bugs of the last beta were not 100% fixed in the GM public release.

If you can I would want until at least mid Oct to see if Apple will release a new update of iOS8. The new iPad refresh is coming and there may be a iOS8 patch out around that time too.

keep in mind Android phones with 2gb RAM and multi processors crash 90% more than any iOS device. Its the Android OS and buggy 3rd party apps usually causing the problem.

23. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

True but they are not intimate with Apple hardware and software. I'm sure a Google engineer will tell you exactly what you want to hear about an Apple iPhone.....

24. kalex macrumors 65816

now fast forward from 2008 to 2014 and non of this is longer true. stop spreading nonsense

you get an award for the dumbest response

25. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

It has been happening forever but got worse since the iPhone 5 and iOS7. More demanding software, and now with the iPhone 6 more demanding hardware, has made this problem even worse. The solution, surely, is more RAM. If Apple haven't fixed this with a software update in over two years then you can bank on it not being a software issue.