The larger and higher resolution screen on 15" MBP over 13" MBP ...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by entatlrg, Dec 29, 2009.

?

15" larger/higher res screen over 13"MBP better on eyes/productivity

1. Yes

37 vote(s)
    67.3%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    32.7%
  1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Is the larger screen and higher resolution of the 15" MBP compared to the 13" MBP *that* much easier on the eyes.

Would there be noticeably less eye strain if looking at the screen 4 to 8 hours a day.

They say the larger the screen the more productive you are ... makes sense. Higher resolution shows a little more detail too I realize.

Is this all worth it enough to choose the 15" over the 13" I'm wondering.

2. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

If you don't need the extra pixels of the 15," then don't get it because its DPI is nearly identical to the 13," so your eyes will not be less strained either way. According to Notebook Check's testing of both the 13" and 15" LCDs, they are comparable in color and contrast quality, but the 15" is 10% brighter, though the brighter the screen is, the likelier your eyes will tire.

For the record, those who claim that the 17" screen is the best are incorrect, as both the 15" and 13" have much higher contrast, and the latter's viewing angles and LED uniformity are superior too.

3. hackum macrumors regular

However keep in mind the fact that you can get the anti-glare display for the 15" model, which is a huge improvement over the 13". You should be able to get much less eye strain with the anti glare.

4. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

People like to validate their own purchases...so this poll is likely to simply reflect the ratio of 13" to 15" MBP users here at MacRumors. ;)

5. robj macrumors regular

I think that use the laptop as main work machine isn't the best way to be more productive.

If you want to be comfortable you need to plug the laptop to external devices like a display, and a keyb/mouse.

So, the screen size isn't as important as it seems.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If the laptop will be your main machine and you'll not be hooking it up to an external drive, then I'd say the 15" is a better choice because of the extra screen real estate.

7. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

I think the use of Spaces largely negates the need for lots of screen real estate...unless you have the need to be monitoring several apps at once ( and switching between them is not an option)

8. kasakka macrumors 68000

It's really a battle between portability and screen estate. The 15" obviously has higher resolution and bigger screen, but it comes at the expense of more weight and size.

I use my 13" MBP mostly connected to a big external monitor and on its own the laptop is more than adequate for my uses. I just wish I had bought the wireless external keyboard because it would mean less stuff to plug in.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

This is another one of those meaningless polls where the answer the OP is seeking can really only be answered by themselves.

Go to the store and look at both for a while and see if the 13" gives you a headache in less time than the 15". Asking what other people's opinions are on the matter does not help you at all.

10. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

Personally, I find the resolution of both the 13 & 15" MBPs inadequate. Physical screen size is irrelevant to me, but trying to juggle multiple apps, a VM, and several spreadsheets at work on 1280x800 or 1440x900 resolution is flat out awful.

As other people have already stated, this is really only a question you can answer for yourself.

11. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

When I got my 13" everything seemed too small and kinda tiresome. Now the fonts on the 24" ACD seems huge aand the ppi of the 17" ideal.

Recently I checked a vaio 13" with a 1600x900 screen. It felt proper.

12. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

:confused::eek::rolleyes::confused::eek::rolleyes::confused::eek::rolleyes:

It's just out of curiosity to get people's input opinions on the matter, that's it!

So, go grumble in someone elses thread, no need for any post Policeman here, now move along and go smart *ssing some place else, your input isn't valued here, :rolleyes:

13. fenman macrumors member

I voted "No" because IMO the increase in resolution from 1280x800 to 1440x900 is not really that much, and 13.3 inch is perfectly legible. To really improve productivity in terms of screen real estate an external monitor is necessary for both. The 17" MBP has enough resolution but isn't for everyone because of high DPI.

14. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Thanks. Yes, that's the predicament I'm in ... a lot of time away from an external display ... I don't like the extra size and weight of the 15" very much, but the moment I stop and open up the larger display then I appreciate it. It's trade off for sure.

A 15" MacBook Air would solve my problem :)

15. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

I voted no although I have a 13" MBPuB: the extra screen size on the 15, even though the resolution is also higher, is just easier to work with, hence higher productivity.

16. gfiz macrumors 6502

gfiz

17. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I voted yes. The 13" MBP is perfect for someone who travels a lot due to the size/weight. But even though I used to travel all the time, I simply didn't feel that the 13" MBP offers enough screen real estate for me to be as productive as I can be. That was also the main factor for me to eventually migrate to a 17" MBP. Sure, the footprint is pretty big, but when spending an entire day at a client site and using it as my main machine, the amount of information I can have visually in front of me is pretty important.

18. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

So far your prediction is wrong.

The 15" MBP is leading in the poll better than 2 - 1.

19. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Really? Then how are we supposed to answer this question for you?

You do understand that not everyone's eyes strain in the same way, right?

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What apps will you be running? If you plan on running photoshop and such, then I would avoid the 13" altogether. I've used PS on a 13" display and it isn't fun. If you plan on using business type apps then the time you spend away from an external monitor may not be impacted too much by the lessor real estate the 13" has.

21. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

That's just it, I really like the 13" notebooks I've used for business app's, email, and writing.

But I spend a lot of my time away from my 24" ACD and I do work in PS, write Manuals for products, text/photo's, concept draw / design parts and this is when I'm second guessing working from a 13" other than that it's great :)

I'm never wondering if the 15" is too small when doing any tasks, it's quite comfortable to use for most tasks. The trade off being the larger footprint on a desk, plane, the added weight and the fact my 15" won't fit in my favorite backpack, lol, (Eagle Creek Hitch).

I realize the decision is ultimately up to me of course, just curious to see how others have handled the same decision as I know many people here juggle the same points ... is the larger screen and higher res worth the trade off in larger size and weight ... and what side to people tend to err on.

For me, so far I'm going with the 15" MBP, I'll try and find a slim low profile backpack for it ... once the 15" is open and you're working from it the screen is beautiful to work from, probably the best of any 15" I've seen so far.

Thanks again for the input.

22. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

He didn't predict anything in terms of "13" will win" or "15" will win." He said that people will validate their purchases.

23. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

it's not really viewing multiple apps for me, it's the scrolling when writing messages. even as I'm writing this here on macrumors, i have to scroll down to read my message. if i was writing on a 15", i wouldn't need to do that.

dpi is pretty much the same across both sizes, no?

24. coast1ja macrumors 6502

I'm currently looking at (actually, visibly looking at) a 15" uMBP, a 13" uMBP, and a MBA. The only thing that looks different is that things are more spread out on the 15". The fonts appear the same.

25. dennis123123 macrumors member

I cannot believe that this thread was not started by shambo :D